Does Nebraska need to go back to the Big 12

Tony34

1 hour ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Nobody is scared of the Big Ten and wants to run to the Big XII.  There are a lot of nervous thoughts if Scott does fail in Lincoln though because the connection to greatness is broken and the unknown future.   Too early for that now though but 2 or 3 years and it will not be.

As mentioned in one of the other threads, the bold may be a good thing.  We have to get over our sense of entitlement - that because we were great back then, we deserve to be great now.  It has to be earned.  In the say way, as Reagan said,

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

In the same way, each team needs to earn that connection to greatness.  It doesn't just fall on them.  We are no longer feared, because we have not earned the ability to be feared - that starts with each coach and continues all the way to the every scholarship player and every walk on player.  Coaches must not only recruit but develop - something that we've seen lacking.  Players must also learn to execute and learn how to be winners.   Frost and the 200 or so former players and fans that greeted him when he was announced as coach seem to think that having a coach with the connection to greatness would :restore  - the Big 10 would have to adapt to Nebraska now because we finally got a Nebraska guy back as coach.  The arrogance was amazing.  The Big 10 has shown us that it has no obligation to adapt to us.  It appears we need to be the one adapting.  The humiliation has been equally amazing.

Maybe we see some Biblical concepts at play in our downward spiral.  

"He who thinks he stands be aware less he fall." " Pride comes before the fall and fall before destruction." 

"For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

Perhaps we can see it in our rise back up as well:

But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

5 hours ago, ndobney said:

Because Nebraska is no longer a relevant or even good program and that's the truth. Over the last 20 years we've made a lot of mistakes one of them is moving to the big ten. Who cares about what educational benefits the big ten offers. You want money going to your college win football games bought said. 

Let this sink in my alma mater South Dakota State is a better football program than Nebraska right now. My son is a Senior in high school right now and has several scholarship offer right now in basketball. I actually posted his video in the 2021 basketball recruiting section. He has talked to other kids that play both basketball and football and are getting offers. Kids are much more excited about getting offers from sdsu right now than Nebraska. 

Nebraska is not only a really bad program, its not even competitive. There is no coach that is going to change that any time soon. Our culture in football is as low as Kansas is maybe worse. One option people are looking at to get better is to return to our roots. Maybe it will maybe not. Maybe your right what's the point anymore?

NO....just....no....And...the bolded is NOT my point.  Where did I say that?

On 11/24/2020 at 6:28 PM, Tony34 said:

Just looking at it from an on the field issue (as I know Nebraska has gotten a lot of off the field rewards for being in the Big 10) do the Huskers need to try to get back into the Big 12? Nebraska is never really going to be able to compete for recruits with the top tier programs of the Big 10 as like it or not Nebraska is stuck in the middle of nowhere and despite having a couple decades of great success they still don't have the history that many of the teams in the Big 10 have. Also when they left the Big 12 they fell off the radar of many of those Texas recruits that would see them play when they were playing Oklahoma and the Texas schools. Now instead of being one of the main places the Texas highschool kids think about going they are one of the last Big 10 schools kids think about going. No matter what opinion you have on the Big 12 matter you can't really get around the fact that Nebraska had better teams when they were in the Big 12 than they have had since they left.

If we're just in it for the money then going to the PAC would be the money decision. We have as many fans in Arizona and California as we have in Nebraska and we'd still be able to recruit the south effectively with prospects knowing they wouldn't be playing in a blizzard on the Arctic tundra. I'm sure the west coast TV revenue would provide us with all the money we need as well. I thought it was weird when Colorado went that way, but it's no weirder than us flying to the east coast to play Rutgers and Maryland.
Would we still get the fumble calls on forward passes that we get from the 70 year old refs of the BIG? Hard to say about that, just as it's hard to say why old grey haired geezers are still out there calling the games? The style Frost wants to play would sure be more likely to succeed in the PAC.

23 hours ago, ndobney said:

Because Nebraska is no longer a relevant or even good program and that's the truth. Over the last 20 years we've made a lot of mistakes one of them is moving to the big ten. Who cares about what educational benefits the big ten offers. You want money going to your college win football games bought said. 

Let this sink in my alma mater South Dakota State is a better football program than Nebraska right now. My son is a Senior in high school right now and has several scholarship offer right now in basketball. I actually posted his video in the 2021 basketball recruiting section. He has talked to other kids that play both basketball and football and are getting offers. Kids are much more excited about getting offers from sdsu right now than Nebraska. 

Nebraska is not only a really bad program, its not even competitive. There is no coach that is going to change that any time soon. Our culture in football is as low as Kansas is maybe worse. One option people are looking at to get better is to return to our roots. Maybe it will maybe not. Maybe your right what's the point anymore?

Ya this is absolute horses#!t.

• Plus1 2

56 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Forgetting all the obvious reasons for not going back, I gotta ask the folks who bring this up bi-weekly:

Looking at the teams in the Big 12, how many more wins would you pencil in for the Huskers? 

I think the only team that we could beat is Kansas and that's a 50/50

• Thanks 1
On 11/25/2020 at 11:37 AM, Cy the Cyclone said:

You can't come back to the Big 12...we've already sent our crappy officiating crews who hate Nebraska to the Big 10.   Where would those guys go?  Not a lot of job opportunities for blind people.

They're all around 70, so they'll be in the rest home or dead soon. It's probably a union thing though, where they pass their job to junior....who is 50.

21 hours ago, Hayseed said:

If we're just in it for the money then going to the PAC would be the money decision. We have as many fans in Arizona and California as we have in Nebraska and we'd still be able to recruit the south effectively with prospects knowing they wouldn't be playing in a blizzard on the Arctic tundra. I'm sure the west coast TV revenue would provide us with all the money we need as well. I thought it was weird when Colorado went that way, but it's no weirder than us flying to the east coast to play Rutgers and Maryland.
Would we still get the fumble calls on forward passes that we get from the 70 year old refs of the BIG? Hard to say about that, just as it's hard to say why old grey haired geezers are still out there calling the games? The style Frost wants to play would sure be more likely to succeed in the PAC.

The Pac 12 has money issues as the commissioner has done a terrible job getting TV contracts like other conferences have.  The Pac 12 Network is not on Directv and that has been a big issue.  Pre-covid, the Pac 12 gave each school 29 million.  Compare that to the 56 million Nebraska got from the B1G.

Just now, southernoregonhusker said:

The Pac 12 has money issues as the commissioner has done a terrible job getting TV contracts like other conferences have.  The Pac 12 Network is not on Directv and that has been a big issue.  Pre-covid, the Pac 12 gave each school 29 million.  Compare that to the 56 million Nebraska got from the B1G.

But we've never had money problems, so whatever we would get from playing in a favorable area and climate would be plenty. The whole idea of moving to the BIG for TV money and academics was a hoax concocted by somebody in Wisconsin. For one thing, it killed our baseball program. Really bad move.

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

But we've never had money problems, so whatever we would get from playing in a favorable area and climate would be plenty. The whole idea of moving to the BIG for TV money and academics was a hoax concocted by somebody in Wisconsin. For one thing, it killed our baseball program. Really bad move.

I hate to tell you, but in deciding big picture things no one gives a s%^+ about the baseball program.

8 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Around here, there have been plenty of articles blaming the lack of TV money for the conference's woes in both football and basketball.  That money pays for things including coaches.  Obivously better coaches want more money and that's elsewhere at the moment.  

The downgrade of UNL's baseball program is a bummer.  I enjoyed following my Beavers and Huskers on the diamond.  OSU's baseball program is following Nebraska's with the retirement of our coach I fear.