Nebraska High School Players - Class of 2023

Mavric

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

^ and plan to do the same at the Lincoln Coaches Association meeting this week. Love it. 

Not sure why it took them 5 years to think that was a good idea, but... we're doing it now, so, can't complain. 

Could believe there was a touch of arrogance in that since we're NU, kids in the state will be begging for an offer and commit right on the spot. Then this year happened and we missed on the top 4 prospects in the state (really no chance with any of them. Coupled with a return of MJ, someone whos had tough battles for the best talent from SEC country, and now they're doing things they previously overlooked. (not a criticism, just trying to parse an explanation)

7 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Could believe there was a touch of arrogance in that since we're NU, kids in the state will be begging for an offer and commit right on the spot. Then this year happened and we missed on the top 4 prospects in the state (really no chance with any of them. Coupled with a return of MJ, someone whos had tough battles for the best talent from SEC country, and now they're doing things they previously overlooked. (not a criticism, just trying to parse an explanation)

Based on previous years, I don't think that was the case at all.  Ruud has always been a weekly visitor to the Metro when he was allowed to be.  Henrich and Hickman were absolutely NOT coming to DONU until Frost and Ruud got here and made them a priority.

Response from Sean Callahan about the supposed increase of in-state recruiting with some new coaches on staff.  

Like I've said many times, the lack of attention in the last couple of years is completely overblown.  It was a bad combination of not being able to visit the in-state guys and a group of guys who were never coming to Nebraska.

I think 2021 was a unique year for so many reasons. Riley-Ducker just wasn't ever going to come here, nor was Jackson. Helms to me was the loss. You would like to have had him, but it also wasn't a big need to take another TE with Fidone. People forget Nebraska was not able to host in-state recruits on campus from Jan. of 2020 to June of 2021 and they went 635 days before they could set foot into an in-state HS due to the dead period. They lost the one advantage they had, which was being able to go to in-state HS whenever they wanted or having prospects down. Things look very good now for 2023 and 2024. I am not going to judge Frost's in-state recruiting over losing Helms, Riley-Ducker and Jackson. I won't even count Woods in that conversation, because his situation changed considerably from the summer when he was firing haymakers at Nebraska. To me, the only major loss for Frost was Keagan Johnson. He's by far the biggest in-state hit over his four years and it's not even close.

• Plus1 1