Players at airport

Mwalding

Entitled. They get told how awesome they are and think they should be handed playing time without earning it. It's been this way with Miami kids for decades. The old saying goes. "you don't want to be a Miami kid's first commitment, you want to be their last." Over the last decade it now has transitioned to "if they stay" and it's like that for many programs. Louisville had the same issue and basically went elsewhere to recruit. Iowa had the same issue. 

It's not just a Nebraska problem, it's a Miami culture problem. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 3
1 hour ago, uberism said:

Entitled. They get told how awesome they are and think they should be handed playing time without earning it. It's been this way with Miami kids for decades. The old saying goes. "you don't want to be a Miami kid's first commitment, you want to be their last." Over the last decade it now has transitioned to "if they stay" and it's like that for many programs. Louisville had the same issue and basically went elsewhere to recruit. Iowa had the same issue. 

It's not just a Nebraska problem, it's a Miami culture problem. 

Maybe we need to evaluate what these players are being told or promised in order to come here.  If they are told they have the ability to compete for PT right away and feel they are not given a chance once here, or feel they are playing behind lesser starters that could turn into an issue.   

Hopefully the right expectations are being said during the recruiting process, but I highly doubt it with this much turnover.  

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Maybe we need to evaluate what these players are being told or promised in order to come here.  If they are told they have the ability to compete for PT right away and feel they are not given a chance once here, or feel they are playing behind lesser starters that could turn into an issue.   

I will guarantee this they are being given every chance.  They had both been on the field this year.  They had every chance.  From the sounds of it, they hadn't been doing all the draconian things the coaches were asking of them like going to class or working hard in practice.

When we don't win as much as people think we should, one of the easy fall-backs is "we aren't playing the best players."  Pelini was constantly accused of this.  People were excited that once Riley was hired we'd run simpler systems that would get the best athletes on the field.  Guess what?  There weren't really any players that weren't playing under Pelini that were suddenly playing under Riley.  And the results got a lot worse.

People notice our transfers more because we following Husker football.  No one hears about the backups from other schools that enter the portal because we don't care about or follow those teams.  But there are "thousands" who have gone into the portal, per 247:

Starting Oct. 15, 2018 student athletes were allowed to enter their names into a transfer portal, which allows schools to initiate contact with them. While a player entering their name in the transfer portal does not mean a player intends to transfer, the portal's presence gave athletes options they didn't have before. Athletes can pursue and talk to other schools without restriction, all the while remaining enrolled at their present school.

That change in the rules resulted in thousands of FBS players entering the portal, including high-profile movers like Justin Fields, Tate Martell and Jalen Hurts. It’s completely altered roster construction strategies for some programs, and resulted in a few programs from the Group of Five having their rosters pillaged. The portal drew both heavy criticism and praise from coaches around the country, largely depending on who you asked.

Here is the full list from just this year.  You're welcome to count them if you like; I ran out of fingers and toes long before I got out of the QB section.

And the coaches aren't afraid to throw young guys out there if they can contribute.  Here are the "young guys" who are seeing a lot of snaps:

QB - McCaffrey (Fr)

RB - Thompkins (Fr), Johnson (Fr), Scott (Fr)

WR - WRobinson (So)

OL - Jurgens (So), Piper (Fr), Benhart (Fr)

DL - TRobinson (Fr), Rogers (So)

LB - Reimer (So), Henrich (Fr), Nelson (Fr)

DB - Newsome (So), Farmer (Fr)

So, again, people will find anything to complain about when the results are less than what they want.  Despite evidence to the contrary.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And the coaches aren't afraid to throw young guys out there if they can contribute.  Here are the "young guys" who are seeing a lot of snaps:

QB - McCaffrey (Fr)

RB - Thompkins (Fr), Johnson (Fr), Scott (Fr)

WR - WRobinson (So)

OL - Jurgens (So), Piper (Fr), Benhart (Fr)

DL - TRobinson (Fr), Rogers (So)

LB - Reimer (So), Henrich (Fr), Nelson (Fr)

DB - Newsome (So), Farmer (Fr)

So, again, people will find anything to complain about when the results are less than what they want.  Despite evidence to the contrary.

In fairness, I’m not sure Jurgens is on the field for any actual snaps. 

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, Decked said:

Goodbye Fleming & Delancey. This aged nicely. 

OP congrats to being right..at an unfortunate cost

I didn’t want to be right. There were pictures posted on IG. I am just as frustrated about the attrition. I hope Marcus Fleming does not enter the portal- but I’m not holding my breath. 

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Chances they all got a bag to come here and were never invested from the beginning? 

I'd say pretty low. Gray was really the backbone of the Florida guys, I really don't think we would've lost all of them if he'd stayed. But I also can't fault him at all, I believe he went back to be closer to family with medical issues. I think the other guys expected to come in and start right away, and once they weren't playing and we weren't winning why would you choose to be 1500 miles away from home? If Gray stays, there's no pandemic, or we win the games we should have I think a couple of them would've stuck it out.

We picked a really bad year to go all in on Florida, I do wonder if it will hurt us there moving forward which would suck. On the bright side it's not like those were the only Florida kids on the roster - Bootle and Williams are Florida guys, and Clark, Lynum, Nadab Joseph, and Scott seem to be well positioned to stick around and contribute. Wondering if Joseph/Lynum passing Delancy on the depth chart had anything to do with his decision, but I really have no info there.

• Plus1 1