**Lou Tech pre-game thread**

Just getting a central thread going for some pre-game Lou Tech game analysis, to link to the kick-off clock at the bottom. Hopefully we can get some insight from some Bulldog fans. Its always interesting to hear other fans perspectives, and we are always open to respectful discussions & debates.

So what are everyones expectations / predictions for the game --

Will Coach Cally wear red?

First Husker scoring connection? How long?

Will we sell out the athletic venue to max capacity?

Result of Tech's first offensive drive?

Could the rumors be true about Lil Reds battle with bulimia??

Players of the game?

Other than that there's not much anticipation in the air or anything.... :hmmph

First of all, this game can't get here fast enough. I can't wait for 9-2, and am excited because even if I don't attend the game, it will be on t.v. for free for the first opener in a while. Anyways...

I think the first offensive play of the Big Red season will be a handoff to Cody Glenn for a first down. After that a nice drive, getting inside the ten yard line, where a fade pass will result in a touchdown to one of the tall recievers, I'm thinking Mo Purify. Once the D comes out on the field, all 84,000+ will stand up, and won't sit down until the 3 and out is completed.

Overall good game for the Huskers, where everyone plays. ZT player of the game on offense, with 300+ yards 3 tds and no pics. 3 backs split time, with one getting over 100, and the other two near the century mark. Kenny Wilson makes a big impression, and people began to talk big things for him on the season.

D is dominant, not giving up more than 10 points, and quite a few sacks. Should be a fun day. Huskers 59 La Tech 3.

Will Coach Cally wear red? His red polo

First Husker scoring connection? How long? Zac Taylor to Terrence Nunn 12 Yard Pass

Will we sell out the athletic venue to max capacity? Yes

Result of Tech's first offensive drive? 3 and Out

Could the rumors be true about Lil Reds battle with bulimia?? No way :blink

Players of the game? Offense: Terrence Nunn;Defense: Steve Octavien;Special Teams- Congdon

Duh. Depending on the weather, the polo or a windbreaker.

Taylor to Swift. 25+ yards.

And then some...

Fumble due to the noise of 80,000+ fans.

What??

Players of the game?

Offense-Zac Taylor

Defense-Adam Carriker

Special Teams-Whoever punts or whoever is returning punts

I have a funny feeling that the first drive - or maybe the first couple of drives - will be run-dominated. I'm probably way off base, but...given the emphasis the running game was given in the spring, the number of potentially outstanding backs we have, and the need to get the offensive line off to a good start and let them gain some much needed confidence - well, that just seems to be tailor-made for at least a first series of predominately running plays.

I have a funny feeling that the first drive - or maybe the first couple of drives - will be run-dominated. I'm probably way off base, but...given the emphasis the running game was given in the spring, the number of potentially outstanding backs we have, and the need to get the offensive line off to a good start and let them gain some much needed confidence - well, that just seems to be tailor-made for at least a first series of predominately running plays.

yep, AR.........i think you are right on the money.....we will be out to prove a point and we will pound the ball, Zach will throw maybe 12 times, and if we are worth a sh#t........Beck will play half the 3rd quarter and finish the game..maybe throw 6-8 passes.........

hunter

let me look into my crystal ball. I see a tie score of 0-0 no wait it just went to 7-0 no wait 14-0 oh sh#t it is going to explode.

Seriously I see us dominating this game on the ground while giving Zac and the receivers enought passes to get some confidence.

The Blackshirts will prove to be to physical for tech and we win big. 56-10

Will Coach Cally wear red? -Agreed, a red polo

First Husker scoring connection? How long? -Either Taylor to Peterson, about 20 yards (did anyone else notice that all Peterson does is score touchdowns? I swear the guy never touches the ball outside of the red zone) or a 2yd Cody Glenn TD run.

Will we sell out the athletic venue to max capacity? -yes, no question

Result of Tech's first offensive drive? - 3 and out

Players of the game? - On offense it will either be Taylor with about 250yds. passing, 2TDs, 0 INTs or Cody Glenn with about 115yds 2TDs. On defense it will be Octavien with 2 sacks, an INT, and some broken up passes. On special teams it will be Terrance Nunn with two 30-50 yard returns, but no touchdowns.

Tech's Franklin to try hand at receiver

August 6, 2006

ADVERTISEMENT

From Staff Reports

RUSTON -- Louisiana Tech head coach Jack Bicknell welcomed 98 players to campus Sunday afternoon as veterans and newcomers reported in preparation for fall practice which begins tonight.

Bicknell said that although his summer was productive, he is ready to get started as the Sept. 2 opener at Nebraska looms near.

"The summer was great," Bicknell said. "I got to play some golf, but even after a while, you get frustrated with your golf game. It's time to get going. I'm anxious to see the guys we recruited on the field in action. I'm anxious to see what type of team we will have."

One of the changes that Bicknell is anxious to see will be that of returnee Freddie Franklin, who will be moved to wide receiver during the first few weeks of fall workouts.

Franklin was one of the Bulldogs top running backs his first two years, rushing for 448 yards and four touchdowns last year, including a career-high 120 yards and one touchdown in a 40-28 win over Fresno State in the season finale.

However, with the load of quality running backs Tech has in camp, Bicknell wants to see if Franklin can help the Bulldogs at the receiver slot.

"We know what Freddie can do in the backfield," Bicknell said. "We could move him back three days before the opener against Nebraska and he would be fine. I think he can help us at wide receiver. I think of him in the same mold as (former Bulldog) John Simon."

Bicknell said one of the reasons for the move is the health of sophomore Shane Womack, who could miss a significant amount of time at the beginning of the year due to injury.

"Dr. (William) Bundrick is going to look at him (Sunday night) and we will know more after that," Bicknell said.

The Tech coaching staff has already moved running backs Mark Dillard and Weldon Brown to the defensive secondary, and they feel comfortable trying Franklin at receiver because of the combined talents of a young Bulldogs backfield.

Sophomore Patrick Jackson, who is recovered from a knee injury that kept him out of most of spring practice, joins incoming true freshmen William Griffin, Myke Compton and Daniel Porter.

Tech's first practice of the fall is set for tonight at 6:45 p.m.

-- NORTHWESTERN STATE: After enduring a turnover drought last year, Northwestern State�s Purple Swarm defense is gearing up to turn the tables this season which makes for mixed emotions for head coach Scott Stoker in preseason practice.

�The good news is we did a good job of forcing turnovers today,� said Stoker after Sunday afternoon�s two-hour workout in shorts and shoulder pads. �The bad news is we turned it over too much.

�No matter what, somebody�s going to be doing poorly every day in that case,� he said. �Considering how few turnovers we came up with last season, we have to make a big jump in the number we force this year.�

Last year, the Purple Swarm came up with only 17 turnovers in a 5-5 season. The 1.7 average was the lowest for Northwestern since team statistics are on file dating back to 1960.

Stoker expects the defense to look more like the nationally-ranked Top 10 units in 2002, 2003 and 2004, even while facing the most challenging schedule in school history. One reason for his optimism is the Purple Swarm�s much-improved depth.

�We�ve got some prime time players (Preseason All-Americans Tory Collins and Ed Queen, preseason All-Southland Conference pick Charlie Brooks) up front on the defensive line, and we�ve got some young guys who have redshirted and are now ready to contribute,� said Stoker. �Albert Smith, Josh Daniels, Neal Walker could have good seasons and great careers for us.�

The Demons were erratic in the passing game in Sunday�s 11-on-11 work, he said.

�We�ve got to pitch and catch more consistently than we�ve done,� he said. �Sometimes it�s a case of not throwing the ball well, and sometimes we�re not doing a good job catching it. Sometimes we�re throwing it to the wrong spot and sometimes we are not running the right route. We�re three practices in, so it�s early, and I expect to see progress throughout this week before our first scrimmage Saturday.�

Sunday�s special teams concentration came on kickoff coverage and returns. Stoker said kickers Robert Weeks and Lee Scott are battling to handle the kickoff duty while a bevy of players are in contention for return assignments, including senior Greg Skidmore, who led the SLC with a 24.6 average last year.

The Demons resume practice in Turpin Stadium this morning at 8:15, beginning a weeklong series of morning sessions culminating with a Saturday morning scrimmage. They don full gear for the first time this preseason on Tuesday morning.

Clearly. He will be eminating red like the devil himself, and those of the LA Tech sideline will be terrified at the glowing red flames which surround him. As they very well should be.

Kenny Wilson will take the ball from the 20 and tear through the entire sorry defense of theirs. Which would be, 80 yards.

No doubt.

Tech will not, at any point in this game, have anything that can even remotely qualify as an "offensive drive."

Haven't seen him lately. Perhaps he should see a counselor, or maybe he is jealous of Husker Herbie.

Players of the game?

Well, they'll have a heck of a time deciding between the 22 Nebraska starters, that's for sure.

I seem to remember sometime between the Kansas game and the Alamo Bowl, some LA Tech people were running some smack.

Looking at their sched. last year, they won 8, lost 4 - no loss was to a "bad" team. Kansas beat them, but the difference was closer than in our game. I think all their losses were to bowl teams.

They DID beat Fresno St., but it was the week after Fresno St. pushed USC to the brink. Fresno St. was probably out of gas (see NU vs Mizzou in '78).

I think this program is a notch or two behind schools like Central Fla, UAB, and Nevada. They may make a bowl this year or next.

Our D should be able to handle their option. I think we have the speed at LB, plus the strength up front to dominate the LOS, and we should bust up their angles.

Plus, a lot of the option is timing, and it's always a little rusty early on.

Their D may hold us under 10 for a quarter- quarter and ahalf. They may break one or two long ones on us, but hopefully that will came late vs. teh subs.

I do see us establishing the run first. Smash-mouthing them on their heels then nailing them with Nunn, Swift, Herian, and co. We may go into half leading 14-7 or so, then just come out in the second half and punish them.