New AD or Head Coach

Just now, The Dude said:

Firing Frost today would not be too quickly.  Literally the only reason he still has a job is he's program royalty.  On merit he has zero business coaching another game.  Moos' job security depends on the football program's success, period.

The third season is too quick for a program that isn't royalty anymore.  We're not present day Alabama, Florida, etc.  Hell, we're not even Oregon.  This is a rebuild.  Don't get me wrong, I'm as frustrated as the next guy and I called Frost a failure last year.  But the reality is we're not going to get the players we need by firing coaches every three years.  Those early firings force us to start over with upperclassmen leaving for other opportunities.  We gotta be stable for at least another two seasons.  If it's still this bad, then we jettison the whole staff.  

• Plus1 4

Frost should be further along now than he is. However this program was always more than a three year restart. It was a dumpster fire in 2017 and is slightly less of one now. It was a 5 year rebuild best case.  We flushed the easy restart down the toilet with the Riley hire. You get a new coach now it's gonna be 5+ more at a minimum and that's assuming you can find a decent coach who would take over after we fire the guy who has had more leniency than anyone. Very few coaches who could have success here would take the job if any. We hitched our wagon to Frost in 2018 and our only choice is hoping he gets us where we want to be. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Frost should be further along now than he is. However this program was always more than a three year restart. It was a dumpster fire in 2017 and is slightly less of one now. It was a 5 year rebuild best case.  We flushed the easy restart down the toilet with the Riley hire. You get a new coach now it's gonna be 5+ more at a minimum and that's assuming you can find a decent coach who would take over after we fire the guy who has had more leniency than anyone. Very few coaches who could have success here would take the job if any. We hitched our wagon to Frost in 2018 and our only choice is hoping he gets us where we want to be. 

Agreed.  He needs his 2 more years, but Moos needs to step in a make Frost hire a well established D coordinator and take play calling duties away from Frost.  Otherwise I have no problem starting over because I will just be a waste of 2 more years without changes.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I have to wonder if it's because the safeties don't tackle very well or else we'd be blitzing a lot more. Way too many sit back a wait plays today.

I mean ... our safeties made several tackles for loss or right around the LOS.  Had a couple nice hits right as passes got to receivers as well.  There are things to complain about but sitting back and waiting wasn't one of them.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... our safeties made several tackles for loss or right around the LOS.  Had a couple nice hits right as passes got to receivers as well.  There are things to complain about but sitting back and waiting wasn't one of them.

We weren't even that bad today; many of us thought we might get blown out. A couple bounces and we win. 

• Plus1 3
36 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I agree, I was trying to figure out why we only rushed 3-4 four so often. My only speculation was that the staff was unsure about safeties tackling in the open field one-on-one. 

Overall, I thought it was fairly well called for the game. Would have liked to see more pressure though

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Agreed.  He needs his 2 more years, but Moos needs to step in a make Frost hire a well established D coordinator and take play calling duties away from Frost.  Otherwise I have no problem starting over because I will just be a waste of 2 more years without changes.  

Yeah that's not going to happen. AD's job is not to step in and tell a coach how to run his team. Didn't turn out very well with Eichorst & Diaco.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Yeah that's not going to happen. AD's job is not to step in and tell a coach how to run his team. Didn't turn out very well with Eichorst & Diaco.

It only works with someone like Barry Alvarez that never actually handed over the football program. He still runs that thing. Once he retires then the program will have lost a long-time influencer. 

3 hours ago, theknife said:

If you're not going to give the Prodigal Son five years, who is going to want this job? Christ, wait until the new facilities are built so we would have something to sell a new coach on.  That's not even considering the 25 million dollars we don't have to buy him out. 

At the end of the day this is it...we have to give Frost a minimum 5 years...and frankly all he has to do is be .500 next year and .500 - .600 at minimum a year after that and he gets an additional year

There's no way we can fire Frost right now and I really don't think he's had enough time. Like was already mentioned.....we aren't even close to the Nebraska that ruled the field back in the day. This place is a dumpster fire and that takes 5 years or maybe more to fix and get on the right track!  I'm absolutely pissed we lost that game today because we shouldn't have and Iowa knows they got lucky and we shot ourselves in the foot! Frost needs to make some coaching changes in his coaching staff and there's no way around that. We need some stability and consistency around here for awhile. Changing coaches again isn't the right decision right now and to even think Moos should go too is baffling to me.