New AD or Head Coach

1 hour ago, HANC said:

Understood.  Yes, he had won both head to head. If AM doesn't get hurt....a lot of circumstances. I like how we base conclusions on such a large sampling.

We do have a bit more to go on, besides the 1-0 record Tucker has versus Frost. They both have 5 games this year in the same conference,  Tucker is 3-2 and Frost is 1-4. They both played NW, Tucker won and Frost lost. They both lost to Iowa.  Two more common opponents,  Ohio State and Penn State, to come.

Not saying either of you is right or jumping in the middle,  I just like to see more data.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

We do have a bit more to go on, besides the 2-0 record Tucker has versus Frost. They both have 5 games this year in the same conference,  Tucker is 3-2 and Frost is 1-4. They both played NW, Tucker won and Frost lost. They both lost to Iowa.  Two more common opponents,  Ohio State and Penn State, to come.

Not saying either of you is right or jumping in the middle,  I just like to see more data.

I am not going "die on this sword". I wont firmly argue, I too think it is way too early to say Tucker is definitely better. Time will tell. I explained my philosophy about the NW and Iowa games....I think each game is independent of each other to some extent.....home-road, rival, let downs

1 hour ago, HANC said:

Understood.  Yes, he had won both head to head. If AM doesn't get hurt....a lot of circumstances. I like how we base conclusions on such a large sampling.

Well considering Mel is only 1-0 against Frost and that game was last year, the start of the epic theme of "no fear of failure" (which ironically still hasn't been followed 100% by the preacher) and in which AM wasn't hurt. 

However, my point is following up King's that the burn it down method is a load of s#!t.  Mel is a another case of a coach that walked into a situation FAR  crappier than Scott has and had the same success, with bigger wins, than SF.

1 hour ago, HANC said:

Under this this philosophy,  Don James is a better coach than Tom. 

If you unbiasedly looked at the two situations each coach came into and where said coached took the programs to(new heights or return to a height) one arguably could say it is a lot lot closer than a scarlet glasses wearing fan would ever want to admit

54 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

If you unbiasedly looked at the two situations each coach came into and where said coached took the programs to(new heights or return to a height) one arguably could say it is a lot lot closer than a scarlet glasses wearing fan would ever want to admit

I think it is well documented that I am not a Scarlet glasses wearing person. I also said in a post that I would not die on this sword because I don't feel extremely strong either way. I just think that there's not enough to say Mel Tucker is a better Coach right now. I do realize I misspoke saying to went 2-0 because he was only there in 2019. I am just not sure the sample size is large enough. He had the luxury of having one of the best all-around players in college football along with a fifth-year senior at quarterback. Michigan State was a dumpster fire when he took over this year. I don't mind Tucker as a coach at all. To be fair though I think Nebraska was a bigger dumpster fire than some want to recognize. We have not seen the results that we are looking for and that needs to change. I am just suggesting that maybe we don't start picking out random coaches who win a game or two and already say they were better hires. It may be proven that Tucker was the better hire but let's not base it on a win over a Northwestern team that was coming off one of the bigger wins prime for a let-down game. That is all I am suggesting.

24 minutes ago, HANC said:

I think it is well documented that I am not a Scarlet glasses wearing person. I also said in a post that I would not die on this sword because I don't feel extremely strong either way. I just think that there's not enough to say Mel Tucker is a better Coach right now. I do realize I misspoke saying to went 2-0 because he was only there in 2019. I am just not sure the sample size is large enough. He had the luxury of having one of the best all-around players in college football along with a fifth-year senior at quarterback. Michigan State was a dumpster fire when he took over this year. I don't mind Tucker as a coach at all. To be fair though I think Nebraska was a bigger dumpster fire than some want to recognize. We have not seen the results that we are looking for and that needs to change. I am just suggesting that maybe we don't start picking out random coaches who win a game or two and already say they were better hires. It may be proven that Tucker was the better hire but let's not base it on a win over a Northwestern team that was coming off one of the bigger wins prime for a let-down game. That is all I am suggesting.

I know you are not a pumper by any means, I see what you are suggesting and can respect that.  All I, and many others, question is how if said program was such a dumpsters fire, why was SF's best record/team the first year???  How so many other coaches can enter into actual dumpster fires and get a team to buy in so quickly???  Why other coaches come in and there are no excuses in year one, yet here it is acceptable for excuses to be made in year 3????   

That is the gist of a lot of posters.  I have not vocally said fire him, but am critical(and have been since year 1) that he did not surround himself to succeed.  I was annoyed from the get go about him blaming the players, and still am from the coach speak babble we as fans get after every lose.  It's a broken record.  That is all a lot of members are suggesting

• Thanks 1

Hiring Frost was always a $5 million gamble. He had only been a head coach for 2 seasons and just happened to strike lightning in a bottle in his second year at UCF with many players from a previous staff in an arguably weak conference.  Now after 5 years as an HC he will have had 4 losing seasons. As of right now it looks as if that gamble did not pay off. Maybe he can grow into the job and learn how to be a good HC, I don’t know. I know we can’t keep gambling and recoup our losses by doubling down on the next “bet”

Ultimately our inability to hire a proven head coach is what has gotten us into this mess.

Solich, no head coaching experience, and didn’t know how to be himself

Callahan, NFL guy who could get talent but didn’t really understand college coaching, never had kids compete hard in practice, and too connected to his DC

Pelini, no head coaching experience, best teams were with callahans players

Riley, the anti pelini, Tom Osborne lite, lots of HC experience but a lifetime 7 win coach

Now Frost, be real if he wasn’t who he is would anyone have been on board with him being hired at $5 mil a year?

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

I know you are not a pumper by any means, I see what you are suggesting and can respect that.  All I, and many others, question is how if said program was such a dumpsters fire, why was SF's best record/team the first year???  How so many other coaches can enter into actual dumpster fires and get a team to buy in so quickly???  Why other coaches come in and there are no excuses in year one, yet here it is acceptable for excuses to be made in year 3????   

That is the gist of a lot of posters.  I have not vocally said fire him, but am critical(and have been since year 1) that he did not surround himself to succeed.  I was annoyed from the get go about him blaming the players, and still am from the coach speak babble we as fans get after every lose.  It's a broken record.  That is all a lot of members are suggesting

I think we are pretty much on the same page. I do not like his pressers....blaming players,living in past,etc....I also question play calling, emotion, etc.

Absolutely coaches are able to make more progress with less. It is time to start seeing something.  His biggest mistake was his staff. It will come down to how willing he is to make more changes.

• Fire 1
47 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

As always, exactly my sentiment but you articulate it much better. 

my opinion, which doesn’t count for much, is Frost is a rah-rah-er. He can talk his way into things by using the media, but when people get deaf and tired, it’s irritating and whining. I think he has a huge ego and will cut his nose off to spite his face. He also doesn’t have any track record of turning coal into diamonds or staying anywhere long. I don’t think UCF counts. I’d be interested in doing an average age of coaches+length of tenure coaching staff comparison between the B10 and the AAC.  A Shimmer versus gold comparison. Which one lasts longer?  

and it’s fine to be all those things but he should have presented more respectful rather than entitled. Maybe he did change the culture just like he said. 

1 hour ago, Hoop coach said:

Hiring Frost was always a $5 million gamble. He had only been a head coach for 2 seasons and just happened to strike lightning in a bottle in his second year at UCF with many players from a previous staff in an arguably weak conference.  Now after 5 years as an HC he will have had 4 losing seasons. As of right now it looks as if that gamble did not pay off. Maybe he can grow into the job and learn how to be a good HC, I don’t know. I know we can’t keep gambling and recoup our losses by doubling down on the next “bet”

Ultimately our inability to hire a proven head coach is what has gotten us into this mess.

Solich, no head coaching experience, and didn’t know how to be himself

Callahan, NFL guy who could get talent but didn’t really understand college coaching, never had kids compete hard in practice, and too connected to his DC

Pelini, no head coaching experience, best teams were with callahans players

Riley, the anti pelini, Tom Osborne lite, lots of HC experience but a lifetime 7 win coach

Now Frost, be real if he wasn’t who he is would anyone have been on board with him being hired at $5 mil a year?

Well said.  I think we all new Frost would be a gamble, but given his turnaround at UCF, nearly all of Husker Nation was willing to take that gamble.  In hindsight it looks like it was a mistake as Frost's tenure thus far has not met expectations.  With that said, I am still shocked that Moos would extend Frost in December, 2019, given he did not meet expectations the first 2 seasons. That is my only beef with Moos.

We are essentially stuck with Frost given his contract now runs until 2026, but with that said, Moos or other members of leadership can really push him to clean house with his staff and bring in new blood that knows what they are doing.  That is about the only thing Frost can do at this point to give some glimmer of hope for most of Husker Nation.  

Hiring any coach to come here is a gamble.  Even if we hired Saban, it would be a gamble.  Could he win with the current talent?  If not, people would just say the game has passed him by or he's just too old.  We could hire Urban Meyer, and he could totally flame out as well.  I really can't think of one single slam dunk hire we could make.  

I'm not sure I really buy into the $5 million gamble with Frost.  What would he be making had he taken the Florida job?  His road to success would have been much easier had he taken the Florida job.  I would take Frost over Mullen any day of the week.  

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well said.  I think we all new Frost would be a gamble, but given his turnaround at UCF, nearly all of Husker Nation was willing to take that gamble.  In hindsight it looks like it was a mistake as Frost's tenure thus far has not met expectations.  With that said, I am still shocked that Moos would extend Frost in December, 2019, given he did not meet expectations the first 2 seasons. That is my only beef with Moos.

We are essentially stuck with Frost given his contract now runs until 2026, but with that said, Moos or other members of leadership can really push him to clean house with his staff and bring in new blood that knows what they are doing.  That is about the only thing Frost can do at this point to give some glimmer of hope for most of Husker Nation.  

You extend every coach unless you know you're firing him otherwise you kill recruiting.  Then if it comes to it you eat the extension.  It's just how the business goes.