New AD or Head Coach

I happened to read through the Matthew Anderson commit thread from 2019 this morning.  What I recalled [and thus why I went to reread it] was that his belief was that we would win a championship in a couple of years and from what the coaches were "selling" him, he wanted to join in.

At that point in time, I was a Huskerboard board member wanting to have a bit more temperance on expectations, "let's give Scott five [5] years before we start expecting lofty things like National Championships."  It was a good read to hear what many members on this board thought ... as now in the last two weeks you would have thought we would at least of beaten Illinois and certainly no one on this board would have imagined losing to Iowa six [6] years running.  I stated three weeks ago there was no reason to not go undefeated the rest of the year.  I still believe that.  We have better players then all of our competitors in that statement.  The common thread is Scott and the staff in not being able to develop and train to perform in game conditions.

For me, I said in that thread that Scott needs five [5] years at a minimum.  I still stand with that.  Emotionally though, I do not believe his words any more.  He continues to say things like "best week of practice by so and so" and then in the game it's a mistake here, missed assignment here or a bonehead decision there and then we hear, "we just need to clean up a few mistakes".  It's kinda like to win by even just a point is the goal.  For me, I expect to beat Illinois by 21, Iowa by 7 and Purdue by 14 because our players are better.  Unfortunately, our coaching seems to be at a level far less than imagined, including discipline.  

At this point, this is what most of us our doing ... and I'm fine with it ... Frost has created this.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I was skeptical of Riley from the time he was hired, even though I was apparently in the minority in knowing much about him before he was announced.  He had some nice wins at Oregon State but I didn't think it was probably a good choice.  It took me exactly one half of one game - in the Stadium for the BYU game - to know that if that's the kind of defense he was still fine with running after being with Banker for however many years, it was not going to work.

Yes I was in the stadium for that game too with my son and it was a bad sign from the start. :)

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:
  • Despite inheriting a bad program from Riley, Frost was more competitive against Ohio State in his first season with many of Riley's recruits than he was in year 3 against OSU.  

* Bo Pelini recruits - Stanley Morgan, Foster, Mick Stoltenberg, Gifford, DPE, Kalu, Davis twins & Dedrick Young were all from Bo's staff. Riley recruits have been largely disappointing with a few exceptions: JD, Jameis, Bootle & Ozigbo come to mind.

46 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:
  • Offensive production during Frost's 3 years has trended down, from 57th in total offense in 2018 to 72nd in 2019 and 107th in 2020.  And this was supposed to be Frost's strength

Agreed, the offense has been the most disappointing part of his tenure. I do think we've got a good foundation building but that foundation is young. Hoping the rest of this season and spring football will help get us set straight for the future.

• Plus1 1

Its probably been said BUT--> Riley inherited .. a nice pantry of Tommy Armstrong, Devine Ozigbo etc right? Defense was pretty sound.... ( Big 10 folks )

Scott inherited ?  yep...   Mike Riley was trying to put in Pac12 style in the Big10.... Look at the QB's that were here, Line etc.. not exactly What Bo or Scott would run.. 

I know we can't rewind the tape, but man... imagine Scott taking over with Tommy, Devine etc... ? :) Riley beat Oregon and Mich State in Lincoln with Bo's players.. right? His "decent" year was with Bo's weapons....

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, commando said:

pretty sure that scott has at least 1 more year before he really has to worry...probably at least 2.    if things havent got better by then he wil certainly be gone.  not sure that moos would have to go at that point since he would have been lynched if he had hired anyone other than scott at the time.  we got what we demanded so not sure why moos would have to be fired.

Next year is no cake walk even for a good Nebraska team.  We add OU, along wt crossovers of OSU(why is Ohio State always on our schedule - is it a Big 10 penalty for new comers??), MSU, Mich.  I expect MSU to be better next year.  We've rarely played well against Michigan.  OSU might be slightly down if Justin Fields and all of the other NFL potential guys are gone.   And we play Illinois in Dublin, Ireland of all places - who knows where the players heads will be with that beginning game. 

2022 might be slightly better. The Big 10 forgot to put OSU on our schedule but we still got OU, Mich, and the new up and comer Indiana.  Rutgers being the other crossover.  We start the year with North Dakota who would love nothing better to beat us in Lincoln. They are no light weight as we know by their many lower division championships over the years. 

man... next year.. seems so far away :)

We have tickets and the package bought for Ireland.. me and my aging dad's trip... hope it happens. Our first game together was 1997 when Frost played QB against UCF.. we drove up from Oklahoma... listened to the radio guys talk about Culpepper.. seems like forever ago. We met up in LA a few years back for the UCLA game at the Rose Bowl in September... another weird BiPolar meltdown... I just feel like guys like Frost and Pelini were meant to be Coords.. and not CEO's... they seem to get outcoached a lot...  and have similar team mental traits..  

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, HuskerRobNOregon said:

Its probably been said BUT--> Riley inherited .. a nice pantry of Tommy Armstrong, Devine Ozigbo etc right? Defense was pretty sound.... ( Big 10 folks )

Scott inherited ?  yep...   Mike Riley was trying to put in Pac12 style in the Big10.... Look at the QB's that were here, Line etc.. not exactly What Bo or Scott would run.. 

I know we can't rewind the tape, but man... imagine Scott taking over with Tommy, Devine etc... ? :) Riley beat Oregon and Mich State in Lincoln with Bo's players.. right? His "decent" year was with Bo's weapons....

Doesn't this line of thinking discredit what Frost did at UCF? Frost inherited basically 90% of their playmakers on defense from O'Leary. He also inherited two of his best offense weapons in Akins and Smith (Both NFL guys).  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

It's only been 17 years since we Fired frank solich, just saying.  ;)

So we just keep going on the same losing path we've been on for Frost's entire time here? We just keep going forward with more of the same? Personally, I'd rather start winning and I'm of the opinion that in order for that to happen our Athletic Directors need to stop hiring fan choices (looks at Osborne and Moos) and hire a coach that is best for the future of our beloved football program.

Ha fair enough on the timing.

I'm ready to start winning too, but I want to see how this year finishes out and I've seen enough things that suggest NU is moving in the right direction to stay the course. Frost was given a 7 year contract for a reason and firing him 3 years in doesn't get you anywhere.

Who is the coach you are going to go out and hire now? No big name or up and coming coach is coming here after we fire Frost because there are better jobs that pay the same or more. Nebraska is not some coveted job anymore. They can see the same deficiencies and more that we see. Who wants that? So, you have to find some diamond in the rough, good luck. Also, the new coach isn't getting some huge budget to hire great assistants so he's bringing in up and coming assistants learning on the fly. Then you have a team whose biggest play makers are young guys who big name teams would taken in an instant. You fire Frost and our QBs are probably gone, Wan'Dale is gone, and lots of other young talent too. They'll get waivers to play immediately because a coach was fired. Guys who can grad transfer will likely do so too and others head for the NFL.

So, now you have a coach with no upperclassmen talent and the youngest stars gone. Don't forget the recruits are likely gone as well this late in the stage. Fidone probably goes to a staff he feels more comfortable with. The new coach has to put together some sort of class with no visits or in person contact. Now you've got a team with even more talent issues and years of recruiting needed to rebuild it. So, you see this new coach going out and winning in 2021, 2022? The losing continues and the rebuild starts over so you're hoping maybe 5 years from now the team is competitive, but how do you get any talent to come now?

You stick with Frost because you hope he turns this around and becomes the coach and team many expect he can. The alternative is an NU team that isn't competitive anytime in the near future or maybe ever again. You stick it out because this scenario plays out regardless of the year you fire Frost. You hope Frost turns it around in the next two years because the alternative of a new coach is not some quick fix. 

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Ha fair enough on the timing.

I'm ready to start winning too, but I want to see how this year finishes out and I've seen enough things that suggest NU is moving in the right direction to stay the course. Frost was given a 7 year contract for a reason and firing him 3 years in doesn't get you anywhere.

Who is the coach you are going to go out and hire now? No big name or up and coming coach is coming here after we fire Frost because there are better jobs that pay the same or more. Nebraska is not some coveted job anymore. They can see the same deficiencies and more that we see. Who wants that? So, you have to find some diamond in the rough, good luck. Also, the new coach isn't getting some huge budget to hire great assistants so he's bringing in up and coming assistants learning on the fly. Then you have a team whose biggest play makers are young guys who big name teams would taken in an instant. You fire Frost and our QBs are probably gone, Wan'Dale is gone, and lots of other young talent too. They'll get waivers to play immediately because a coach was fired. Guys who can grad transfer will likely do so too and others head for the NFL.

So, now you have a coach with no upperclassmen talent and the youngest stars gone. Don't forget the recruits are likely gone as well this late in the stage. Fidone probably goes to a staff he feels more comfortable with. The new coach has to put together some sort of class with no visits or in person contact. Now you've got a team with even more talent issues and years of recruiting needed to rebuild it. So, you see this new coach going out and winning in 2021, 2022? The losing continues and the rebuild starts over so you're hoping maybe 5 years from now the team is competitive, but how do you get any talent to come now?

You stick with Frost because you hope he turns this around and becomes the coach and team many expect he can. The alternative is an NU team that isn't competitive anytime in the near future or maybe ever again. You stick it out because this scenario plays out regardless of the year you fire Frost. You hope Frost turns it around in the next two years because the alternative of a new coach is not some quick fix. 

I agree on more time for frost. 

But Urban Meyer is a quick fix no matter where he goes. That guy is a machine 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

It's only been 17 years since we Fired frank solich, just saying.  ;)

So we just keep going on the same losing path we've been on for Frost's entire time here? We just keep going forward with more of the same? Personally, I'd rather start winning and I'm of the opinion that in order for that to happen our Athletic Directors need to stop hiring fan choices (looks at Osborne and Moos) and hire a coach that is best for the future of our beloved football program.

Regarding the bold, I'm not sure the decisions were made because they were 'fan choices".  Think back to 2007 - out weakness was our D.  The O was doing just fine.  So Osborne hired the hottest DC in the country - who had helped LSU win the NC.  Bo wasn't just a fan choice, he was one of the options that seemed to be the right fit for us at that time.   My wish for head coach at the time was

Paul Johnson (with Navy at the time and then GT). 

Regarding Frost - he wasn't just a fan choice but the hottest young coach out there and all of media thought it was a match made in football heaven. 

In retrospect, perhaps in both cases it would have been better to have found a more experienced and successful coach.  Both Bo and Scott have a learning curve and esp a learning curve to be in a tough conference like the Big 10.  At this point I hope Moos and Frost decide it is time to go after big name successful coordinators.  Frost needs more time but he needs more help as well. 

• Fire 2

I know a lot of national pundits have a lot of things to say about Nebraska and it's hit and miss on who to listen to and I often do not give much time to it. With that said, Thamel, Whetzel and Forde spent a good amount of time on the state of the BIG and specifically on Nebraska (as well as on Texas) and they brought up several relevant points. The Nebraska focus picks up around the 15:30 minute mark and ends around the 26:00 minute mark

https://sports.yahoo.com/ohio-state-playoff-conundrum-tom-herman-scott-frost-replacements-232236462.html

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I know a lot of national pundits have a lot of things to say about Nebraska and it's hit and miss on who to listen to and I often do not give much time to it. With that said, Thamel, Whetzel and Forde spent a good amount of time on the state of the BIG and specifically on Nebraska (as well as on Texas) and they brought up several relevant points. The Nebraska focus picks up around the 15:30 minute mark and ends around the 26:00 minute mark

https://sports.yahoo.com/ohio-state-playoff-conundrum-tom-herman-scott-frost-replacements-232236462.html

No thanks, not giving any clicks to Forde

• Plus1 3
23 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

A lot of their talk is to garner clicks and doesn't take in the bigger picture. I'm also pretty sure Forde has a sexual attraction to trying to rip apart Nebraska at any opportunity. It is not that surprising as he played high school football for Gary Barnett and went to Missouri in the 80s. Being a perpetual loser is his calling. These talking heads aren't paid to read interview transcripts or closely examine individual programs. They look at final scores, Twitter and try to guess the way the wind blows for fanbase appeal in order to get the attention they crave.

For instance, Harbaugh at Michigan hasn't won anything meaningful but until this year they were winning a lot of games they should win but losing to teams above their level (similar to the Bo Pelini era). Until this year he was 47-18 as Head Coach in his five years. In the five years prior to his arrival, Michigan was 38-26. They way social media and the pundits talk about Harbaugh, you would've guessed he hadn't had a winning season since he arrived. We're the target for the time being because we also garner enough attention nationally to still make headlines.

Unfortunately, this will continue until we start winning consistently again and beat teams we aren't expected to beat. Only then will the tune change and we won't hear from the Fordes of the world.

• Plus1 1