New AD or Head Coach

10 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Because Frost had 100% of the leverage in the situation. 

What do you mean by that. He just finished year 2 of a 7 year contract. He had 5 years left on his contract. What leverage did he have? Because a small minority of people were complaining about him after year 2 means what? That noise has gotten alot louder after the mess we watched this year. If Frost doesn't like the noise I would rather suggest look hard at what staff belongs in the P5 and what is he doing to make things better. 

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

What do you mean by that. He just finished year 2 of a 7 year contract. He had 5 years left on his contract. What leverage did he have? Because a small minority of people were complaining about him after year 2 means what? That noise has gotten alot louder after the mess we watched this year. If Frost doesn't like the noise I would rather suggest look hard at what staff belongs in the P5 and what is he doing to make things better. 

Sorry what I meant was the initial contract. I agree with you it made little to no sense to extend his deal out to 7 again. keeping it at 5 going forward would have made a lot more sense in many different ways. 

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Sorry what I meant was the initial contract. I agree with you it made little to no sense to extend his deal out to 7 again. keeping it at 5 going forward would have made a lot more sense in many different ways. 

I agree. Not saying we will fire Frost or should fire him. In my opinion he needs to make some big staff changes. Give that 2 years then really evaluate him. We have seen way too many times in the last 17 years where our AD gives an extension to a coach who is not doing his job then the university or donors have to pay more in buyout 1 year later. Does the AD have full control over these extensions? Does anyone else have to approve or provide input? If not that should change because it costs Nebraska alot of unnecessary money.

EDIT: If we had won 10 games last year I would have been on board for extending him out to 7 again. But he didnt.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree. Not saying we will fire Frost or should fire him. In my opinion he needs to make some big staff changes. Give that 2 years then really evaluate him. We have seen way too many times in the last 17 years where our AD gives an extension to a coach who is not doing his job then the university or donors have to pay more in buyout 1 year later. Does the AD have full control over these extensions? Does anyone else have to approve or provide input? If not that should change because it costs Nebraska alot of unnecessary money.

EDIT: If we had won 10 games last year I would have been on board for extending him out to 7 again. But he didnt.

heck if he could have got us to 8-4 last year I would have been happy because it would have at minimum said hey here we go. 

1 minute ago, bugeater17 said:

Frost won’t feel any pressure to make changes this offseason. If we see a disaster of a season next year is when pressure might begin - but even then is questionable. I really think Frost has another 2 years before he is on the hot seat. 

mostly agree unless it completely and I mean completely goes off the rails next season. I am talking double digit losses. I still think some attrition will take place this year with the staff. Even if just 1 or 2 positions. 

2 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Frost won’t feel any pressure to make changes this offseason. If we see a disaster of a season next year is when pressure might begin - but even then is questionable. I really think Frost has another 2 years before he is on the hot seat. 

Another way to look at it. If Frost is the coach, leader and man we hope he is. He will evaluate and make the changes to his staff even if they are buddies or he is comfortable with them without pressure. He should do it because he is a competitor and it is what is best for the program, team and current players. 

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Another way to look at it. If Frost is the coach, leader and man we hope he is. He will evaluate and make the changes to his staff even if they are buddies or he is comfortable with them without pressure. He should do it because he is a competitor and it is what is best for the program, team and current players. 

I don’t think Frost will make any changes. I really think he believes things are going to work themselves out with staff continuity, much like we had under Devaney and Osborne. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Frost has made changes each year though. Why would this change? 

15 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I don’t think Frost will make any changes. I really think he believes things are going to work themselves out with staff continuity, much like we had under Devaney and Osborne. 

The advantages of staff continuity is something I agree with and want. BUT, you only reap those benefits if you have good coaches. P5 caliber coaches.

Keeping around sub-par guys for the sake of continuity sounds like a good way to get fired.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The advantages of staff continuity is something I agree with and want. BUT, you only reap those benefits if you have good coaches. P5 caliber coaches.

Keeping around sub-par guys for the sake of continuity sounds like a good way to get fired.

Does someone still have the For Sale sign that was used in Charlie McBride's yard?

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's.

The offense/defense we run ultimately doesn't matter, what matters is the kids we bring here.

Edit- Prior to 80-81ish, we ran what was considered a pro-style attack and we passed the ball with the likes of Vince Ferragamo, Dave Humm and Jerry Tagge. We can win passing the ball because we've done it in the past.

There are teams farther North than Nebraska who pass the ball. It is yet again another excuse we make in Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's.

The offense/defense we run ultimately doesn't matter, what matters is the kids we bring here.

Edit- Prior to 80-81ish, we ran what was considered a pro-style attack and we passed the ball with the likes of Vince Ferragamo, Dave Humm and Jerry Tagge. We can win passing the ball because we've done it in the past.

We out recruit most of the teams in the west.  The X's and O's we are running is a joke.  Throwing the ball into a bad wind against an awful run D.  SMH.  Don't make excuses for this staff.  They own all of it.  We are stuck in reverse for at least two more years.  I am not calling for his head, but please don't make any excuses for this staff.

• Plus1 7
1 hour ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

From personal observation that excuse in generally made by those who love option football.

Agreed; that, or just more of a downhill 'power football' preference.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I don't really buy the need to play like that again. Football is about strength, speed and scheme. They all matter, and some days, certain elements end up mattering more than others. Wisconsin and Iowa scheme just as well as they do anything else, but the way people sometimes talk about them, you'd think they just line up 5 strong imbeciles who can block and that's it.

Minnesota had absolutely no answer for Nebraska on two of those first half drives last weekend, and if you watch the sequences, Nebraska did a lot of things right. They hussled, had blockers where they needed, had solid fundamentals, and threw in some well-designed/timed plays to exploit the defense. It was a cohesive relationship. The same thing applies to a power run team. If we go watch some of the other offensive sequences that objectively failed, Nebraska hurt themselves just as much if not more than anything Minnesota did on a given play.