New AD or Head Coach

1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Urban said no to Texas. He ain't coming here, ever. Be more likely to get a Les Miles or Mack Brown, heck maybe could even get Bob Stoops or Mark Richt. - That said- Frost deserves to get one season that is normal, no cancelled games, and to see his first recruiting class to upper classman status. 

I know Frost will get next season.  I also know he will be out-coached by OSU, MI, WI, IA, Minny, NW, OU.  I see maybe 3 wins on our schedule next year.  Would love to be proven wrong.  Lovie Smith beat us this year and was fired....let that sink in.  There is absolutely no way this dumpster fire continues on past 2021, no matter the cost.  Frost can then move back to a warm state and plentiful recruitment fields and continue the rest of his career in a G5 setting.  And we can move onto a competent coach who has the chops to win close games and make adjustments mid-stream, who can also recruit and develop players and put us in a position to win championships.

10 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

No. Urban Meyer is not coaching here and sending feelers out is foolish. Your argument that Frost is distracted by family is not a good one for the program's rocky past three years. I encourage you to not speculate about a man's family life or make assumptions about his wife or kids.

Frost & Moos are not going to be fired for any performance-based issues for several years at minimum. Speculating about it is useless and wasting your time. 

It is not speculation.  I am strictly going with what Frost himself has said directly to the media concerning his family.  Frost has made it crystal clear that he prefers to be home 'by dinner' and enjoyed that luxury while recruiting in Florida.  Now he has to travel all over the nation and stay in hotel rooms and is clearly not home 'by dinner' when recruiting for NU.  So yea, it is obvious that the NU job negatively impacts his family life, which involves his first new born child.  Parents are always super anxious about raising their first child.  Not so much for child #2 and #3 and so on. 

9 minutes ago, Bledred said:

The NU brass need to put some feelers out for Urban Meyer right now.  After the 2021 debacle, Moos and Frost will most likely be gone and bringing in Urban Meyer at that point would be a grand slam reviving our program for years to come.  We could make Dave Rimington our new AD and it would be a dream team. 

Frost is at least 15 years away from being able to mentally handle a P5 HC job, let alone a Blue Blood program like NU.  He is just not there mentally or in his personal life (will be explained).  He absolutely refuses to make adjustments in the heat of battle.  His teams plays like they are poorly coached, because they are.  He has a brand-new wife (typically high maintenance) and brand-new baby (always high maintenance).  Frost has to spend a lot of time on the road away from his family recruiting and even said himself that he loved how he could recruit for a day in FL and then return home for dinner that evening.  Frost has also made it clear that he is VERY protective of his family and even refused to publicly release the name of his new born (which was eventually found out any ways).  This is a guy who will do ANYTHING for his wife and kid and their needs come before everything else in existence, which includes NU football.  When his new house was robbed before even coming here, it set a really bad tone....especially for a guy who is super overprotective of his family!  I don't see Nebraskans doing this kind of stuff, but outsiders who want to see NU fail...and there are many.  And the number of buttons to push with Frost in this regard are innumerable.  I am also willing to bet his wife is not to happy to go from sunny Florida to frozen tundra Lincoln.  

WE NEED a coach who does not have these concerns.  We need a coach who sent off their kids to college loooong ago.  We need a coach in his 50s who has nothing on his plate except work and a little bit of time with the wife and family.  We need a coach who has won National Championships at the FBS level.  We need a coach who can recruit at the highest level AND develop at the highest level.  We need a coach who is willing to point the thumb when it is obvious.  Urban Meyer fits the bill.

Fans are about done.  I have talked to many in Lincoln who have followed their whole life.  The next hire will determine if Memorial stays full or becomes a relic of a once great football program. 

I'll give you 35 million reasons why she was perfectly fine with moving to Nebraska...I'm sorry but this post is garbage.  And for the record Urban wouldn't touch this job for $10 million a year, so you can just let that idea go.

• Plus1 3

50 minutes ago, Bledred said:

It is not speculation.  I am strictly going with what Frost himself has said directly to the media concerning his family.  Frost has made it crystal clear that he prefers to be home 'by dinner' and enjoyed that luxury while recruiting in Florida.  Now he has to travel all over the nation and stay in hotel rooms and is clearly not home 'by dinner' when recruiting for NU.  So yea, it is obvious that the NU job negatively impacts his family life, which involves his first new born child.  Parents are always super anxious about raising their first child.  Not so much for child #2 and #3 and so on. 

You are speculating when you claim his wife and kids are high maintenance or that his house being robbed had some kind of impact on the program or that liking Florida weather means she and the family doesn't like living here. You're jumping to massive conclusions basing the program's struggles on Frost because he likes being a father and husband? Shame on him, right? I recommend you stop going down this hole.

Nailed it above, Scott doesn't have the chops to be a successful P5 coach. He looks beat down and haggard at all his pressers. Looks lost, in over his head, has no idea how to fix this and just keeps repeating the same buzz word all the time: "were so close",  "I love our talent" "best practice I've seen" blah, blah, blah. It's like he's trying to convince himself. I wonder what we are so close to? Bc is sure as $h!t isn't competing for division or conference titles. Maybe we are close to executing basic fundamentals because we cant go a game with out a hand full of bad snaps, penalties or the ability to score more than about 20 some points in year 3. Totally pathetic and that's on coaching. Next hire needs to be a grand slam, we aren't going to have many more shots at this. 

• Plus1 3
21 minutes ago, KC Sker said:

Next hire needs to be a grand slam, we aren't going to have many more shots at this. 

I am not sure we have any more shots at this point in time. The financials of any move are a non-starter. We are still in the middle of a $100 million hit -- RIFs and salary reductions. No way are we going to self-impose a bigger hit at this time -- and the effects are going to take years to overcome. 

Leaving that aside, there are the optics of not giving this particular coach at least 3-5 more years -- and I am not even joking about that time frame. We have a well-earned reputation of being one of the most fickle fan bases in the country. We are going to have a harder time and pay a steeper premium to attract any established coach based on that reputation.  

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, Husker_Code_Warrior said:

I am not sure we have any more shots at this point in time. The financials of any move are a non-starter. We are still in the middle of a $100 million hit -- RIFs and salary reductions. No way are we going to self-impose a bigger hit at this time -- and the effects are going to take years to overcome. 

Leaving that aside, there are the optics of not giving this particular coach at least 3-5 more years -- and I am not even joking about that time frame. We have a well-earned reputation of being one of the most fickle fan bases in the country. We are going to have a harder time and pay a steeper premium to attract any established coach based on that reputation.  

That’s a lame narrative your eating up about our fans. Any history rich program has fans with high expectations. Michigan, Florida, Florida State, Auburn, LSU. They all swap coaches at the first sign of trouble too. But I don’t hear anyone saying they are fickle. It gets chalked up to those SChools have a strong desire to excel 

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

That’s a lame narrative your eating up about our fans. Any history rich program has fans with high expectations. Michigan, Florida, Florida State, Auburn, LSU. They all swap coaches at the first sign of trouble too. But I don’t hear anyone saying they are fickle. It gets chalked up to those SChools have a strong desire to excel 

One of the bolded doesn't seem to fit the rest.  Rust Belt vs. SE.  I'm not sure why everyone bags on Harbaugh and claims he can't coach considering he not only resurrected Stanford's program, but he also resurrected a San Francisco team that hadn't made the playoffs a single time in the decade before him.  Yet, he's struggling at Michigan and might lose his job.  Bob Stoops made a lateral move years ago as DC for KState to DC for Florida.  He was tired of working 14-16 hour days under Snyder.  While he was at Florida, he rarely missed his 3:00 tee time.  Recruiting is much easier in those parts.  The long hours and grind just aren't necessary.  There have been some really mediocre coaches win a NC at some of those schools you mentioned.  I'm looking at you Gene Chizik and Ed Orgeron.  

Nebraska and Michigan are in similar waters.  Both have brought back coaches to their alma mater that had previous success at other programs.  Michigan is in year 6 while Nebraska is in year 3.  Both have been trying to hire "slam dunk" coaches for well over a decade.  Thus far, it hasn't worked.  I actually don't see a "slam dunk" hire that either could make right now.   

7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I didn't say we were the only fickle fan base.

Michigan and LSU are right up there with us, USC, probably a few others. I have heard many sports journalists sarcastically refer to the fickleness of those fan bases -- particularly Michigan. 

Having said that, regardless of what you or I think, it is the perception, is it not?

I take your point about high expectations. I have high expectations and we are no where near meeting those right now. However, with the finances and the perception, we need to take a beat and let Scott do his thing for a while. Because our options would be extremely limited. The only schools trying to hire their 3rd coach in the span of 6 years should be in the MAC. (i.e. stepping stone programs)

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Husker_Code_Warrior said:

The only schools trying to hire their 3rd coach in the span of 6 years should be in the MAC. (i.e. stepping stone programs)

I want to make this point in regards to CFB as a whole, because I don’t think Frost should be fired after this year. Continuity for the sake of continuity is dumb. Stoops was Oklahoma’s 3rd hire in 6 years. Saban was Bama’s 3rd hire in 6 years. I don’t think you’ll find many of those fans wising Shula and Blake got more time for the sake of continuity.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I want to make this point in regards to CFB as a whole, because I don’t think Frost should be fired after this year. Continuity for the sake of continuity is dumb. Stoops was Oklahoma’s 3rd hire in 6 years. Saban was Bama’s 3rd hire in 6 years. I don’t think you’ll find many of those fans wising Shula and Blake got more time for the sake of continuity.

I am not saying we should do this for continuity. I am saying we should do this because Nick Saban ain't walking through that door and it is quite possible we have the right guy but need to work through some issues a bit longer. 

I would also point out that Mike Shula and Mike Price were also the 3rd and 4th coaches they hired in a 6 yr span just before Saban. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Husker_Code_Warrior said:

We probably have no shot at landing a big time coach anytime in the next few years anyway and the money thing makes it even more unrealistic. Let the Frost era fester on for another 2-3 years, but be working in a slam dunk plan after that like right now .

I Don't see stoops coming back to the college ranks until Drake is done at OU and I doubt URBs goes to another big 10 team. Those 2 always stick in my mind because they seem like the only ones capable of the type of turn around we need. 

In my opinion, we need to get the hell out of the big 10. Go back to the big 12 where we belong. Close to the fan base, our recruiting wheelhouse and just for the friggin fact we don't belong in the big 10. We tried this little experiment when it looked like the big 12 was gonna fold and it's blown up in our faces, we gambled and lost...sh#t happens. It would be nice to go to an away game that was 3-4 hours away, not 12-24 driving (maybe a bit off topic but just another contributing factor to our failures) 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, KC Sker said:

We probably have no shot at landing a big time coach anytime in the next few years anyway and the money thing makes it even more unrealistic. Let the Frost era fester on for another 2-3 years, but be working in a slam dunk plan after that like right now .

I Don't see stoops coming back to the college ranks until Drake is done at OU and I doubt URBs goes to another big 10 team. Those 2 always stick in my mind because they seem like the only ones capable of the type of turn around we need. 

In my opinion, we need to get the hell out of the big 10. Go back to the big 12 where we belong. Close to the fan base, our recruiting wheelhouse and just for the friggin fact we don't belong in the big 10. We tried this little experiment when it looked like the big 12 was gonna fold and it's blown up in our faces, we gambled and lost...sh#t happens. It would be nice to go to an away game that was 3-4 hours away, not 12-24 driving (maybe a bit off topic but just another contributing factor to our failures) 

Neither one of these guys are coming here.  We fired Bo.  Wasn't Bo Stoops best man?  That bridge was burnt a while back.  Urbs potentially is capable of the turn around we need, but he hasn't done that since his days at Bowling Green and then Utah.  Florida was absolutely stacked with talent when he took the head coaching job.  It's why he chose Florida over his dream job of Notre Dame.  There was only one season between Tressel and Urbs at Ohio State.  Tressel left the cupboard very well stocked.  Plus, Urbs has had health issues.  He isn't coming here.  

I can't think of a single coach out there that I would feel relatively comfortable with the ability to turn this thing around.  We've tried the ex-NFL guy.  It didn't work.  We tried one of the hottest coordinators.  We fired him.  We tried the poor man's Bill Snyder.  We fired him.  Now, we've tried the 2017 Home Depot Coach of the year.  Thus far, it hasn't been pretty; and we've fired others for doing better.  There just isn't a slam dunk hire out there.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1