New AD or Head Coach

2 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Neither one of these guys are coming here.  We fired Bo.  Wasn't Bo Stoops best man?  That bridge was burnt a while back.  Urbs potentially is capable of the turn around we need, but he hasn't done that since his days at Bowling Green and then Utah.  Florida was absolutely stacked with talent when he took the head coaching job.  It's why he chose Florida over his dream job of Notre Dame.  There was only one season between Tressel and Urbs at Ohio State.  Tressel left the cupboard very well stocked.  Plus, Urbs has had health issues.  He isn't coming here.  

I can't think of a single coach out there that I would feel relatively comfortable with the ability to turn this thing around.  We've tried the ex-NFL guy.  It didn't work.  We tried one of the hottest coordinators.  We fired him.  We tried the poor man's Bill Snyder.  We fired him.  Now, we've tried the 2017 Home Depot Coach of the year.  Thus far, it hasn't been pretty; and we've fired others for doing better.  There just isn't a slam dunk hire out there.

Doesn’t Tom Osborne have a son? 

4 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Neither one of these guys are coming here.  We fired Bo.  Wasn't Bo Stoops best man?  That bridge was burnt a while back.  Urbs potentially is capable of the turn around we need, but he hasn't done that since his days at Bowling Green and then Utah.  Florida was absolutely stacked with talent when he took the head coaching job.  It's why he chose Florida over his dream job of Notre Dame.  There was only one season between Tressel and Urbs at Ohio State.  Tressel left the cupboard very well stocked.  Plus, Urbs has had health issues.  He isn't coming here.  

I can't think of a single coach out there that I would feel relatively comfortable with the ability to turn this thing around.  We've tried the ex-NFL guy.  It didn't work.  We tried one of the hottest coordinators.  We fired him.  We tried the poor man's Bill Snyder.  We fired him.  Now, we've tried the 2017 Home Depot Coach of the year.  Thus far, it hasn't been pretty; and we've fired others for doing better.  There just isn't a slam dunk hire out there.

The inevitability of this situation is one of the most difficult pills to swallow.  As a fan base, we got what we wanted (except for Riley) when Solich was hired, then fired, and on and on until the golden son returned.  We applauded hire and cheered to the return to dominance.  Hell, as fans we look at the end of the first season as the tipping point and went full steam ahead with the media hype and then were reminded, bluntly, that Nebraska has been a mid, to low tier program for the past decade or better.  I remember people saying "If Frost can't turn this around, who can?" and we as fans cemented that as our reality and are struggling to accept our mediocrity (or lack thereof) as fact.

I've been a season ticket holder my entire adult life and I decided that I would buy them next year, but if this doesn't turn around then I'm not making the financial and emotional commitment to the program in 2022.  I feel that a lot of fans are thinking that same thing.  Until the Rutgers game got moved back, was anyone going to take the afternoon off to watch the game?  It's terrible, but it is what it is at this point.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I want to make this point in regards to CFB as a whole, because I don’t think Frost should be fired after this year. Continuity for the sake of continuity is dumb. Stoops was Oklahoma’s 3rd hire in 6 years. Saban was Bama’s 3rd hire in 6 years. I don’t think you’ll find many of those fans wising Shula and Blake got more time for the sake of continuity.

I agree with you fully.  I am fine with Frost getting a 4th year, but there should be some clear goals set by Moos publicly on what he's expecting to see from Frost in year 4.  I never understand those who push continuity when we are talking about continuing mediocrity with little signs of major improvement.  

You can add Florida to the list of programs that is on their 3rd coach in 6 years as Muschamp left in 2014, they hired McElwain for 3 years (while we had Riley), and they have had Mullen for the past 3 years while we have had Frost. McElwain was 22-12 when he was fired (where Riley was 19-19).  Mullen is 27-6 in his 3 years.  I would venture to guess that, if Frost was 11-20 at Nebraska, or heck even just .500, that Florida would be moving on from him right now.  

2 hours ago, KC Sker said:

We probably have no shot at landing a big time coach anytime in the next few years anyway and the money thing makes it even more unrealistic. Let the Frost era fester on for another 2-3 years, but be working in a slam dunk plan after that like right now 

You keep saying this, but the chances that Nebraska would be able to attract the likes of coach of which you are beholden (i.e. Urban Meyer) are slim to none. Will I say impossible? No. But slim to none.

Lest we forget - Scott was a slam dunk hire three years ago, or about as close as one could get. Sure, he didn't have a tenured pedigree, but he was the most desired young coach in college football. You can't shoot much of a better shot than Nebraska did.

In my opinion, we need to get the hell out of the big 10. Go back to the big 12 where we belong. Close to the fan base, our recruiting wheelhouse and just for the friggin fact we don't belong in the big 10. We tried this little experiment when it looked like the big 12 was gonna fold and it's blown up in our faces, we gambled and lost...sh#t happens. It would be nice to go to an away game that was 3-4 hours away, not 12-24 driving (maybe a bit off topic but just another contributing factor to our failures)

Nebraska isn't leaving the B1G any time soon, so talking about or wishing for it is futile. The academic and monetary benefits of being a B1G member far outweigh what the Big 12 could offer.

If Northwestern University can scrap together a team capable of winning the West division, there is absolutely no reason Nebraska couldn't do the same. Absolutely no reason at all. Nebraska would be a below .500 team in the Big 12 right now, just as they are in the B1G.

3 hours ago, Husker_Code_Warrior said:

I am not saying we should do this for continuity. I am saying we should do this because Nick Saban ain't walking through that door and it is quite possible we have the right guy but need to work through some issues a bit longer. 

I would also point out that Mike Shula and Mike Price were also the 3rd and 4th coaches they hired in a 6 yr span just before Saban. 

That settles it- the next coach after a "Mike" is bound for greatness. We're good guys! 

• Fire 1

On 12/14/2020 at 1:38 PM, Husker_Bohunk said:

It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's.

The offense/defense we run ultimately doesn't matter, what matters is the kids we bring here.

Edit- Prior to 80-81ish, we ran what was considered a pro-style attack and we passed the ball with the likes of Vince Ferragamo, Dave Humm and Jerry Tagge. We can win passing the ball because we've done it in the past.

2nd Edit-Heck, we even won a pair of National Titles (70, 71) with one of those guys.

True, Osborne didn't recruit option quarterbacks or run much option until '80, but don't kid yourself about the 'pro' offense they ran. It was the very definition of '3 yards and a cloud of dust,' and they only threw when they needed to. And on a cold, windy December day? Osborne might have called 10 passes, if that. 

And Devaney ran it more than that. If Osborne wasn't there advising some play action, Devaney would've given the ball to Kinney or Rodgers around the end every play. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

True, Osborne didn't recruit option quarterbacks or run much option until '80, but don't kid yourself about the 'pro' offense they ran. It was the very definition of '3 yards and a cloud of dust,' and they only threw when they needed to. And on a cold, windy December day? Osborne might have called 10 passes, if that. 

And Devaney ran it more than that. If Osborne wasn't there advising some play action, Devaney would've given the ball to Kinney or Rodgers around the end every play. 

Well we didn't play in December much, but we threw it 33 times against Oklahoma in late November in 1972. 30 times in 1973. 30 times in 1974. Definitely not a wide open throw it all over offense, but not 3 yards and a cloud of dust either. 

4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Well we didn't play in December much, but we threw it 33 times against Oklahoma in late November in 1972. 30 times in 1973. 30 times in 1974. Definitely not a wide open throw it all over offense, but not 3 yards and a cloud of dust either. 

Oklahoma had one of the best defenses in the country back then, so we had to throw. Minnesota... does not. We should have ran all over them.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

What do all of these games have in common?  We lost them all.  Does it surprise you at all we threw it 30 times late in November when we lost 27-0?    

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Oklahoma had one of the best defenses in the country back then, so we had to throw. Minnesota... does not. We should have ran all over them.

That's a good point, I'm just saying Devaney/Osborne did occasionally throw a lot late in the season. Different circumstances defensively for sure though.

7 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

What do all of these games have in common?  We lost them all.  Does it surprise you at all we threw it 30 times late in November when we lost 27-0?    

Not surprising, no. But I don't think we lost because we threw it 30 times. Against Minnesota it was very questionable to not have a run heavy gameplan. But I was focusing on the statement that Osborne wouldn't throw the ball, which was not strictly true. But also not really the point that @Jeremy was getting at - I agree we should've found a way to incorporate the run more. 

I don't think we lost because we threw it 30 times either.  My point is most teams pass more when they fall behind especially late in the game.  The Minnesota game almost felt like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  Instead of taking what the defense gives, we just kept throwing the ball with one incomplete pass followed by another.  Is this what was meant when it was said the B1G might have to adjust to us?

• Plus1 1
Just now, junior4949 said:

I don't think we lost because we threw it 30 times either.  My point is most teams pass more when they fall behind especially late in the game.  The Minnesota game almost felt like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  Instead of taking what the defense gives, we just kept throwing the ball with one incomplete pass followed by another.  Is this what was meant when it was said the B1G might have to adjust to us?

The defense was absolutely giving us passing opportunities though, we just missed them. If we hit the passes a QB needs to hit, it looks like a great gameplan. The biggest issue for me is we've had inconsistency out of the QB position, Martinez had missed a practice with an injury to his throwing shoulder, and we still went with that gameplan. I will take a less "perfect" gameplan if there's  a wider margin for error. Gotta think we could've cooked up a run heavy gameplan that wouldn't rely on an injured QB making throws, even if it had a lower ceiling. And I understand that Martinez was apparently super sharp in practice, but he clearly aggravated it and that possibility should be accounted for. You don't need to account for possible injury every week, but if he's missed time and is our leading rusher - there was always a good chance he was going to tweak it again and affect the passing game. 

• Plus1 1

i wish Moos would have kept his mouth shut. Frost needs to stop with the false hope and stop play calling!

the most obvious to me is:

13 losses by less than a score, Frost is clearly being out coached, badly so, failing to make adjustments. Fleck schooled him big time!

Martinez is a mess, he is only good throwing the ball 10 yards or less, he is clearly not a good throwing QB. Very inaccurate.

Our running backs are comprised of 2 guys, Mills and Wan Dale. Wan Dale is not being split out, instead getting beat up on the inside.

Correction, Mills is our only running back!

Frost is b!^@hing about mistakes, holding, turn overs. Good teams are able to over come their mistakes. 

The play calling is pathetic. Would rather see smash mouth football.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

That's a good point, I'm just saying Devaney/Osborne did occasionally throw a lot late in the season. Different circumstances defensively for sure though.

Not surprising, no. But I don't think we lost because we threw it 30 times. Against Minnesota it was very questionable to not have a run heavy gameplan. But I was focusing on the statement that Osborne wouldn't throw the ball, which was not strictly true. But also not really the point that @Jeremy was getting at - I agree we should've found a way to incorporate the run more. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not saying Osborne wouldn't throw the ball. He absolutely did, but was very careful about when to dial it up. He was the MASTER at setting up play-action. But he did it by establishing the run first- pulling the safeties up, getting them to peek in the backfield, and bam - the tight end runs right past them, wide open for any easy throw. No reading the defense required, just throw it up and let them run underneath it. Keep it simple, no need to reinvent the wheel.  

Guess how many times we threw against OU in '71? 13, and one of them was a trick play pass from Rodgers. 

Who scored the last two touchdowns against Warren Sapp and that vaunted Miami defense? Schlesinger, a fullback, on simple Trap plays. 

'But that was the 90s, we can't do that now.'

.    Bullcrap. If anything, the rules for holding are more lax now than back then, making drive blocking that much easier. 

Come-a-RUNNIN', boys! 

Run the ball, Scott, for the sake of all that is holy! Run. The. Ball!

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not saying Osborne wouldn't throw the ball. He absolutely did, but was very careful about when to dial it up. He was the MASTER at setting up play-action. But he did it by establishing the run first- pulling the safeties up, getting them to peek in the backfield, and bam - the tight end runs right past them, wide open for any easy throw. No reading the defense required, just throw it up and let them run underneath it. Keep it simple, no need to reinvent the wheel.  

Guess how many times we threw against OU in '71? 13, and one of them was a trick play pass from Rodgers. 

Who scored the last two touchdowns against Warren Sapp and that vaunted Miami defense? Schlesinger, a fullback, on simple Trap plays. 

'But that was the 90s, we can't do that now.'

.    Bullcrap. If anything, the rules for holding are more lax now than back then, making drive blocking that much easier. 

Come-a-RUNNIN', boys! 

Run the ball, Scott, for the sake of all that is holy! Run. The. Ball!

For everyone, but Nebraska.