New AD or Head Coach

4 minutes ago, Bledred said:

The passing yards top the running yards ALL the years except 2015.  Most people in the biz would call that a trend.  I call that a slam dunk win. 

Again, using yardage is bizarre because (unless you are a terrible passing team), you will average more per pass than per run. North Carolina and Ohio State are perfect examples of what our offense hopes to be. 

North Carolina is running the ball 41 times per game at 6 yards per carry (best in P5), compared to 29 passes per game. That's an elite running offense, and they're running it almost 59% of the time. They are still averaging 50 more passing yards per game than rushing yards.

Ohio State is even more run heavy, 45 rush attempts (at a very good 5.5 per carry) to 27 pass attempts per game. Another elite rushing offense, running the ball 62+% of the time. They average 30 more passing yards per game than rushing yards.

If you want to tell me you don't consider those rushing offense and would not be happy unless we ran the ball closer to 70% of the time just so rushing yards outpaced passing yards, I just flat out don't agree with you. Those are balanced offenses leaning much more to the run game.

2 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Which part?  I think it was reported this last weekend that Texas was proceeding with Herman because Meyer had turned them down. 

Seeing now that it was reported they offered him 10 million a year.  Dang.  Urbs citing 'health problems' and turned it down. 

Now onto my second pick... A 30$ million IBM super computer.  We will have a team of programmers in the sky box inputting plays through out the game by both teams and their relative success.  Then the computer will relay the most viable plays to be successful out to a display screen (kinda like the picture cards with 4 pictures) that will tell the team what series of plays to go with next.  Time for Nebraska to start thinking outside the box.  Or inside the box as in this case it is a gigantic boxed computer. 

download-1.jpg

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Again, using yardage is bizarre because (unless you are a terrible passing team), you will average more per pass than per run. North Carolina and Ohio State are perfect examples of what our offense hopes to be. 

North Carolina is running the ball 41 times per game at 6 yards per carry (best in P5), compared to 29 passes per game. That's an elite running offense, and they're running it almost 59% of the time. They are still averaging 50 more passing yards per game than rushing yards.

Ohio State is even more run heavy, 45 rush attempts (at a very good 5.5 per carry) to 27 pass attempts per game. Another elite rushing offense, running the ball 62+% of the time. They average 30 more passing yards per game than rushing yards.

If you want to tell me you don't consider those rushing offense and would not be happy unless we ran the ball closer to 70% of the time just so rushing yards outpaced passing yards, I just flat out don't agree with you. Those are balanced offenses leaning much more to the run game.

So I suppose we have to go with yards per carry and yards per pass then for the tie breaker?

11 minutes ago, Bledred said:

So I suppose we have to go with yards per carry and yards per pass then for the tie breaker?

I mean that's why I went with the ranking in yards per game. A great rushing YPC is still going to be less than a mediocre passing YPA. So I'm trying to control for things like the difference in passing and rushing efficiency, and for run/pass split by saying: how many yards per game are we getting rushing and passing, and how does that compare to other teams? There are probably better advanced stats for this.

But my point is Frost has always run the ball more than passed it, usually by a decent margin. And if we normalize for the difference in passing and rushing efficiency by just saying how do your passing and rushing yards per game compare to everyone else's rushing and passing yards per game, he's usually much higher in the rushing category. I can see an argument that he's too pass heavy for someone's personal preference (if we want to be like Buffalo this year, or try the 90's despite the game changing a lot since then), but not an argument that he's at all pass heavy in general. 

Doesn’t matter how anyone feels about Frost, he’s ours for awhile. Hopefully, he’s successful and it’s a long while...but. 

I think we’re seeing what we want to see with him. For some reason we’ve put him on a pedestal since his Wood River days, but if you look at each stage of his football career it’s pretty ugly. Not his play or talent, but his sense of entitlement. He will literally cut his nose to spite his face.  So when he said the BIG has to adjust to us, I think he will double down rather than re-adjust and re-define  how we can be successful in the conference.  I would not look to him to change anything- offense or defense.  

49 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I would not look to him to change anything- offense or defense.  

I would hope he wouldn't until he has a chance to see guys that he feels are the best shot at running what he wants to do on offense and defense get a chance to mature and run it. If, at that point, it doesn't work, I have no reason to believe he will be unwilling to change. He changed from Stanford to NU when he realized going West was a mistake for him. He changed from QB to safety when asked to in order to improve his chance at success there. He's made large changes each and every year that he has been here in order to better position his team for success. Hell, he changed from "his guy" in Adrian mid season with the hope that it would lead to a better product on the field. He has actually never shown he is unwilling to change when he is pretty sure he needs too. I wouldn't expect him to change up his entire philosophy until its had a legitimate chance to shine. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Doesn’t matter how anyone feels about Frost, he’s ours for awhile. Hopefully, he’s successful and it’s a long while...but. 

I think we’re seeing what we want to see with him. For some reason we’ve put him on a pedestal since his Wood River days, but if you look at each stage of his football career it’s pretty ugly. Not his play or talent, but his sense of entitlement. He will literally cut his nose to spite his face.  So when he said the BIG has to adjust to us, I think he will double down rather than re-adjust and re-define  how we can be successful in the conference.  I would not look to him to change anything- offense or defense.  

Can we not make major character assumptions based on such minute evidence? This criticism being thrown around with this evidence needs to stop. It’s no way to evaluate people.

1 hour ago, C-4 said:

Can we not make major character assumptions based on such minute evidence? This criticism being thrown around with this evidence needs to stop. It’s no way to evaluate people.

Hissie fit- to stanford- mad at Tom O

sucked at Stanford- Nebraska- mad at Bill Walsh 

The whole Kate Middelton fiasco. Changed the course of two people’s lives.  

Bad business deal in Omaha in 00’s.- soured with partners, including ex-teammates. 

Constant whining as head coach at Nebraska. Multiple players ostracized and leave the program. Changed little culturally in three years inspite of saying that’s what needed to change.

I did lose interest in him for about 10 years, but I bet he never stayed anywhere long. 

and he managed to get a raise in all this. 

A pattern is starting to emerge  

• Plus1 2

On 12/14/2020 at 2:01 PM, Husker_Bohunk said:

I'm not making excuses for this staff, I personally think they should all be fired. Frost is 11-20 at Nebraska over three years and that is inexcusable. As bad as Mike Riley was here at Nebraska at least he had a .500 record at 19-19. He had 1 winning season out of three, Frost has none. How much worse would Frost's record be if this year's season wasn't cut short due to The Covid?

We can out recruit most of the teams in the West division but until we are recruiting on a level with Alabama and Ohio State our Jimmy's and Joe's won't likely be up to the task of running any offense/defense to near perfection. Osborne recruited on that level if not his entire career then at least for the last 7-8 years. You're blaming the X's and O's when we still don't have a roster like the two aforementioned teams. Give Ohio St or Alabama our offense and they'll be running it like champs soon enough. 

Their coaches are higher tier.  What set of players have you seen really improve under this staff?  Ziggy?  Would you say that was pure coaching?  Who else?  Cam Taylor Britt?  Maybe.  Last Saturday he tackled a Minny kid who fell over him for two more yards.  Cam stood up and flexed.  It set up 3rd and 3.  Then a 4th and 1`.  Minny ran right up the middle and scored.  Flexing.

OSU and Bama get great players, but their staff also knows how to develop them into that potential.  Frankly, Wan'Dale is my favorite player on the team.  And looking at his body of work, I expected more at this point.  Not his fault.  He's a WARRIOR.  It's the staff.  I think many of them can't develop talent, can't scheme, don't understand situations.

It's bad right now.

• Plus1 1
On 12/16/2020 at 11:40 AM, Husker in WI said:

The defense was absolutely giving us passing opportunities though, we just missed them. If we hit the passes a QB needs to hit, it looks like a great gameplan. The biggest issue for me is we've had inconsistency out of the QB position, Martinez had missed a practice with an injury to his throwing shoulder, and we still went with that gameplan. I will take a less "perfect" gameplan if there's  a wider margin for error. Gotta think we could've cooked up a run heavy gameplan that wouldn't rely on an injured QB making throws, even if it had a lower ceiling. And I understand that Martinez was apparently super sharp in practice, but he clearly aggravated it and that possibility should be accounted for. You don't need to account for possible injury every week, but if he's missed time and is our leading rusher - there was always a good chance he was going to tweak it again and affect the passing game. 

When you combine an inaccurate QB duo with a, frankly, poor O-Line, it sets up bad situations.  Now add stupid penalties and head-scratching play calls...

Now you're kicking with one of the most ineffectual ST teams in the land.  Then it's Chin's time to "shine."  D has been marginally better this year I think, but I don't see him as the answer.  Problem is he's Scott's best friend, and the coach has a a bit of an ego challenge right now.  

Lastly, end of game pressers and Scott has only really focused on the offense.  He's not managing the entire team.  If I'm a CEO and get to only focus on sales, or operations, or procurement...it had better be the best part of the company and still will be an abdication of my role.

This is NU football right now.  Bad at three phases.  A prideful coach riding or dying with many of his coaches and schemes, not detailed in every aspect of the game, and confounded when the post-game pressure comes ("we just need to see good things happen."  Scott, you beat PSU and Purdue respectively this year and get trashed by Illinois and Minnesota's JV team, at home, the following games.  Were the prior wins not good enough?)

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Hissie fit- to stanford- mad at Tom O

sucked at Stanford- Nebraska- mad at Bill Walsh 

The whole Kate Middelton fiasco. Changed the course of two people’s lives.  

Bad business deal in Omaha in 00’s.- soured with partners, including ex-teammates. 

Constant whining as head coach at Nebraska. Multiple players ostracized and leave the program. Changed little culturally in three years inspite of saying that’s what needed to change.

I did lose interest in him for about 10 years, but I bet he never stayed anywhere long. 

and he managed to get a raise in all this. 

A pattern is starting to emerge  

The irony how close he is to Tom O...who is one of the most humble men I've seen.