New AD or Head Coach

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

As always, exactly my sentiment but you articulate it much better. 

my opinion, which doesn’t count for much, is Frost is a rah-rah-er. He can talk his way into things by using the media, but when people get deaf and tired, it’s irritating and whining. I think he has a huge ego and will cut his nose off to spite his face. He also doesn’t have any track record of turning coal into diamonds or staying anywhere long. I don’t think UCF counts. I’d be interested in doing an average age of coaches+length of tenure coaching staff comparison between the B10 and the AAC.  A Shimmer versus gold comparison. Which one lasts longer?  

and it’s fine to be all those things but he should have presented more respectful rather than entitled. Maybe he did change the culture just like he said. 

Can you explain why you don't think UCF counts?

I also think outside of a few exceptions people decide they like or don't like how their own coach acts at pressers by how much they win. When they win games a coach like Popovich or Saban or BB seem fine but if they were on losing teams we talk about how they are huge a$$h@!es. I live in Texas and when I told people I'm a Nebraska fan they would tell me how much they loved Bos intensity and passion during his first few years. 

24 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Can you explain why you don't think UCF counts?

I also think outside of a few exceptions people decide they like or don't like how their own coach acts at pressers by how much they win. When they win games a coach like Popovich or Saban or BB seem fine but if they were on losing teams we talk about how they are huge a$$h@!es. I live in Texas and when I told people I'm a Nebraska fan they would tell me how much they loved Bos intensity and passion during his first few years. 

And then Bo’s passion got old. You cannot live on passion alone. That fizzles 

34 minutes ago, Slow yer Roll said:

Sorry but you people are 100% wrong.

This team is like an awkward, gangly colt.  They're getting their feet under them more every day. 

The fans are like a pack of selfish , entitled, rabid coyotes ripping,  and tearing at them with every misstep. 

No one wants it more than the coaches, and players....no one.

I trust they will sort it out.

That gangly colt will be thoroughbred one day. And you'll feel like an a$$ for putting up headwinds, instead of trying to help.

God I hope this happens! 

but seriously they need to take that sports performance lab and do studies and training on how to psychologically isolate players from fans. 

1 hour ago, Slow yer Roll said:

This team is like an awkward, gangly colt.  They're getting their feet under them more every day. 

The fans are like a pack of selfish , entitled, rabid coyotes ripping,  and tearing at them with every misstep. 

That gangly colt will be thoroughbred one day. And you'll feel like an a$$ for putting up headwinds, instead of trying to help.

This is a great post.

I have a strong feeling the powers that be......Green, Carter, Moos and Osborne.....are on this same page with Frost regarding the state of the program right now.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Slow yer Roll said:

Sorry but I completely disagree with this sentiment. I think most fans gave Frost and his staff the benefit of the doubt the first 2 seasons, and while there was frustration with how poorly the first 2 seasons went, most fans accepted that was still part of "changing the culture."  However, in year 3, fans expect to see evidence and results of the program turning around, and we simply do not have strong evidence of that.  I am sure you can cherry pick some minor data points here and there, but the overall trajectory of the program is not going up, and in fact the program looks worse in Year 3 under Frost than it did in Year 1.  We are still seeing a complete lack of discipline in all phases of the game with penalties and turnovers by the players, and poor playcalling and game management by the staff.  Again, this would be expected in Year 1 or 2, but not to the extent we are seeing it in Year 3.  

Outside of Lubick replacing Walters after Year 2 which appears to have been a mutual decision, Frost has shown little willingness to shake things up with the staff.  Many of those on his staff are holdovers from UCF, and as a collective coaching unit under Frost's tenure, they have only had one winning season in 4 years, and its on a path to be one in 5 years.  I don't know too many programs that want to be relevant who would accept these results.  Heck our fan base was upset that Pelini was stuck on 9-win seasons and look at where we are now after 3 years of Riley and 3 of Frost.  Speaking of Riley, if he were head coach right now with Frost's record over the prior 3 years, there is no doubt in my mind there would be talk of replacing Riley.  After all, Nebraska fired him despite having a much better 3 year record as Husker head coach than Frost has had in his first 3 years.  Riley finished .500 in his 3 years, and even if Frost won the remaining games this season, the best winning percentage he would have is .316 (13-19).  

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

The reality is in context, people trust their eyes and what they see. They are seeing thigs get worse.

And in the context of frost, very few, if any coaches have turned a program around completely after starting as he has the last 3 years.

Can complain about 'culture' all you want, but with the good ones that happens faster then 3-4 years.

How many of them had a cancellation the first game of their tenure at said school, had a toxic culture previously due to firing, then had lackadaisical approaches to workouts, then also had his starter injured, and enduring a pandemic schedule w/ father passing in the same year, while playing one of the tougher conference schedules year in and year out while in year 3 playing a majority of underclassmen.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be fixed by now, but we can't compare the situation at Nebraska to any other rejuvenation of a program. Each program is different.

There are personnel issues that he needs to address but there shouldn't be any talk of firing. Yet.

• Plus1 4
12 hours ago, HANC said:

Not sure I would go there yet. MSU has gotten run out of the building by Iowa, a team that we played toe to toe with in a rival game....yes they beat NW and we did not. If you look at NW game, we had every chance to win. Play calls weren't reason, in game execution by players. This week, NW coming off emotional win vs Wiscy, let down on the road. 

Just because a record is better doesnt mean coach is better. We have been much more competitive than MSU. If you go back to SF first year, we were even more competitive then...so, no, I wouldnt anoint Tucker, unless I was just making pure emotional post.....which is easy to do with Husker football

I wasn't necessarily advocating as to who is the better coach.  I'm referring to the stupid we needed to burn it down/ rebuild/ culture change.  Similarly the bare closet thing.   Simply coaching well can win you some games because you are the more talented team.  The basic excuses of the fan base here in the moment are using excuses that many others don't, the coach the same way.  You are seriously going to come out in the press and say something about the guys that were here 3 years ago?  In a loss to Iowa, I mean come on.  It just feeds that narrative, I truly feel that Michigan state had a worse problem with that.  when you watched that game you see the difference in attitude between teams.  During the Colorado game you saw that exact same thing.  Personally I think that guy is a pretty good coach, that withstanding, this more about the excuses then how I feel about the potential coach.

Lastly if Frost can't jump off that wagon at some point it's going to tough.  It's not Mike's fault anymore and if he doesn't personally start becoming more accountable how do you think the players will continually act?  Like still talking smack to Illinois after you getting your gut punched in the forth? These are things that culture is trying to instill might not be the best at the time.  Your team just finds more reasons about what happened "wrong" during the week then right.  Example of what was said about practice.  You can have your players and coaches backs all you want, or the most want in the world to win.  If it doesn't correspond to what we are teaching or instilling needs to be changed you get more of the same.  So yes in my estimation it looks like Mel Tucker isn't farting around blaming his last staff, he's beating Michigan in his first year and taking down a top 8 team while his team believes they can. 

• Fire 1
56 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

The reality is in context, people trust their eyes and what they see. They are seeing thigs get worse.

And in the context of frost, very few, if any coaches have turned a program around completely after starting as he has the last 3 years.

Can complain about 'culture' all you want, but with the good ones that happens faster then 3-4 years.

Well said, and the issue is compounded when considering the talent on the team is (on paper) the best in the division.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

I wasn't necessarily advocating as to who is the better coach.  I'm referring to the stupid we needed to burn it down/ rebuild/ culture change.  Similarly the bare closet thing.   Simply coaching well can win you some games because you are the more talented team.  The basic excuses of the fan base here in the moment are using excuses that many others don't, the coach the same way.  You are seriously going to come out in the press and say something about the guys that were here 3 years ago?  In a loss to Iowa, I mean come on.  It just feeds that narrative, I truly feel that Michigan state had a worse problem with that.  when you watched that game you see the difference in attitude between teams.  During the Colorado game you saw that exact same thing.  Personally I think that guy is a pretty good coach, that withstanding, this more about the excuses then how I feel about the potential coach.

Lastly if Frost can't jump off that wagon at some point it's going to tough.  It's not Mike's fault anymore and if he doesn't personally start becoming more accountable how do you think the players will continually act?  Like still talking smack to Illinois after you getting your gut punched in the forth? These are things that culture is trying to instill might not be the best at the time.  Your team just finds more reasons about what happened "wrong" during the week then right.  Example of what was said about practice.  You can have your players and coaches backs all you want, or the most want in the world to win.  If it doesn't correspond to what we are teaching or instilling needs to be changed you get more of the same.  So yes in my estimation it looks like Mel Tucker isn't farting around blaming his last staff, he's beating Michigan in his first year and taking down a top 8 team while his team believes they can. 

I dont disagree with your thought process. 

23 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

It's not Mike's fault anymore and if he doesn't personally start becoming more accountable how do you think the players will continually act?

Seems like that’s been a staple of our “culture”. The blame the previous guy nonsense has become annoying. I followed Frost at UCF and I didn’t see him giving a lot of credit to O’Leary for what he inherited. Suddenly what he inherited is a problem when he’s losing?

1 hour ago, KingBlank said:

Lastly if Frost can't jump off that wagon at some point it's going to tough.  It's not Mike's fault anymore 

Yes and no.  I agree that it’s past time to keep bringing it up.  Not really sure why it surfaced again.

But as I said before the season, the lack of quality upperclassmen is still as issue from the last regime that we’re dealing with.  Keith Williams failed to recruit a single receiver that contributed in three years.  We are starting a sophomore and two freshmen on the offensive line in part because there aren’t any upperclassmen who can handle it.  Most of our linebackers are Frost recruits.  Almost all our receivers are Frost recruits.  All our RBs are Frost recruits.  All our QBs are Frost recruits.  I think we are running some good players out there but especially along the lines it’s usually better to have guys who have been around longer.  And obviously the lack of quality receivers has really hurt the last two years.

• Plus1 4
9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

An interesting thought here. Knowing what we know now about Nebraska, would you fire Jim Harbaugh?  49-22 overall.

The numbers/results are probably different, but reminds me a bit of the BP situation a little bit. Good overall winning record, underwhelming against top competition, no titles.

Based on Michigan's talent, it's hard to argue that Jim Harbaugh has done a good enough job up there, particularly with the inability to develop a quarterback. I don't know if I know what's been going on up there well enough to say whether he should be fired yet though.