Iowa What Did We Learn?

seaofred92

7 minutes ago, admo said:

I'd have him drop the weight and switch him to linebacker.  I think that was his natural position?  He's athletic and tough.  The center experiment hasn't worked out at all.  Moving him to the line, gaining all that weight, the injuries, the bad snaps, etc.  I don't think it's all Jurgens fault.  He just not cut out to be a lineman.

I didn’t realize linebacker was his natural position. Now it makes sense. 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

I didn’t realize linebacker was his natural position. Now it makes sense. 

He was recruited as a guy who could play a lot of positions (TE, LB, etc.) and Frost loved his blocking and athleticism as a center. If he didn’t have to snap the ball, he could be an all-conference center. Unfortunately, with the shotgun snapping, that’s a big part of playing the position.  

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, admo said:

I'd have him drop the weight and switch him to linebacker.  I think that was his natural position?  He's athletic and tough.  The center experiment hasn't worked out at all.  Moving him to the line, gaining all that weight, the injuries, the bad snaps, etc.  I don't think it's all Jurgens fault.  He just not cut out to be a lineman.

I thought he was a TE ?  Either way Frost moved him and did more harm than good. Small town Nebraska kid was happy to help the team but so far this has been a failure for all involved 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He was recruited as a guy who could play a lot of positions (TE, LB, etc.) and Frost loved his blocking and athleticism as a center. If he didn’t have to snap the ball, he could be an all-conference center. Unfortunately, with the shotgun snapping, that’s a big part of playing the position.  

6 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

I thought he was a TE ?  Either way Frost moved him and did more harm than good. Small town Nebraska kid was happy to help the team but so far this has been a failure for all involved 

The young man is an exceptional blocker, but I believe he is too undersized to be moved to Guard. I think the best option would be to lean him down in the offseason and turn him into a valuable Fullback/ H-Back type of role to maximize his blocking talent. It would probably boost his confidence too that his sole job is to just go out and block someone without having to worry about snapping a football.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, The Duke said:

The young man is an exceptional blocker, but I believe he is too undersized to be moved to Guard. I think the best option would be to lean him down in the offseason and turn him into a valuable Fullback/ H-Back type of role to maximize his blocking talent. It would probably boost his confidence too that his sole job is to just go out and block someone without having to worry about snapping a football.

Jurgens is too small to be an effective guard. His best bet may be a situational H-back type guy, especially if he keeps having feet/ankle issues. 

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There is an element here as well that involves him developing as a center.  Like, the human being part. If his future is making millions as an NFL center (admittedly a what if,) then it isn't right to just move him and strip that away due to bad snaps when admittedly he is playing through turf toe and being a total team warrior out there. They said they injected his toe at half and he sure looked a lot better second half.  Easy to criticize the guy, and it is frustrating for sure. But we had guys that used to fall on their asses untouched presnap, so I'm willing to give these guys a break and let them work through it.. We can see he's a hell of center in every other way.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

There is an element here as well that involves him developing as a center.  Like, the human being part. If his future is making millions as an NFL center (admittedly a what if,) then it isn't right to just move him and strip that away due to bad snaps when admittedly he is playing through turf toe and being a total team warrior out there. They said they injected his toe at half and he sure looked a lot better second half.  Easy to criticize the guy, and it is frustrating for sure. But we had guys that used to fall on their asses untouched presnap, so I'm willing to give these guys a break and let them work through it.. We can see he's a hell of center in every other way.

I want Jurgens to work out as a center, because I think he could be special at that position. However, in these close games, the bad snaps are drive killers and can cost NU points. Plus, on the o-line it’s tough to see where Cam’s strong blocking creates points, as fans, we only see the “lost points” from bad snaps. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

However, in these close games, the bad snaps are drive killers and can cost NU points. 

Sure, and it's easy to see those type of obvious miscues that hurt drives.. I am not trying to sound harsh but it is far from a given that we take out all 4 poor snaps from Cam yesterday and those same drives result an anything more substantial than they did with the bad snaps. I get it, those snaps killed those drives, but to assume that the offense we have seen was going to take those drives and do a whole lot more with it is a pipe dream at this time.  The miscues where Farniok misses his block completely or the RB reads the wrong gap and takes a 2 yard loss vs 5 yrd gain or when the recievers are running into each other mid field are also drive killers, just not as glaring. It all comes down to a comedy of errors which is heartbreaking, but pinning offensive woes on Cam is a bit unfair. There is a huge pot of offensive woes, his just happen to dribble out on our shirts so we are blaming them.

4 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

I am still baffled at how under utilized (or just even utilized to be more exact) Luke is as a wideout and slot 

If the kid wants to be a quarterback you can't make him run routes.

• Plus1 1

1) this team plays hard.  There were multiple points in the game where they could have given up or slowed down but they never did

2)  from the post game presser you can tell AM is level headed and really likable as a person.  
3) Ockham’s razor.  The team is just not that talented, and that’s okay there are more important things in life than winning football games.  Who on the roster is going to get drafted?  Then ask the same question about Ohio State. 

• Plus1 1

Just my opinion but two personnel changes result in a win.

1. Swap Jurgens and Farniok.

2. Anyone but Nelson at the OLB position.  I don’t want to bag on the kid because he’s obviously got a huge heart, but if you look at the plays where he “could” have had a role, on first pass I think he played his position properly maybe 20% of the time.  His overruns and lack of containment are just awful. 

My big problem with these issues is not the kids making mistakes, but the fact their position coaches and head coaches are not holding them accountable. If they don’t play smarter, then they need to ride the pine as in so many cases those individual players managed to undermine what the other the guys were try to do.  If I were behind these guys on the depth chart I would be pissed.  

Ultimately that falls on Frost and he needs to stop doing a bad (too predictable) job as the OC and instead to focus on owning the quality control for the whole team....as whatever scheme or play calling issues there are, the lack of individual discipline at key positions is blowing up everyone else’s efforts.