Iowa What Did We Learn?

seaofred92

I sadly learned nothing....We are who we are.  And it's not good. We are like a fire that you are trying to light when it's been raining.  You find a few pieces of dry tinder and mix it with the wet.  Strike your flint and see an occasional spark, but it never takes.  It might smolder and get smoky, but never a constant flame.   Never hot.   Just a spark and then out.....

I said this in the game thread, but the reality of where we are is in this question.  How many of you expected us to lose?  To somehow create a mistake that would cost us the game.  All of us?  75%+ of us?  No doubt the team and staff feel the same way.  Expectations become reality.  It's a self fulfilling prophecy.  They play tight because they expect there to be a mistake.  Just hoping they are not the one to do it.......

There is a term I use at work.  Paralysis by analysis.  The guys are thinking so much to avoid making a mistake, that they end up making a mistake.....It's just a matter of who gets "caught" making it...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

We learned that Frost has a problem with managing a team and it’s talent.

We’re losing talented kids (e.g. JD, Airport thread) because Frost and Co.  is not playing the talent over starters who continue to underwhelm...all during a season that’s effectively a mulligan (playing this season doesn’t count against eligibility). 

I get that they’re supposedly starters based off of Frost’s criteria...but at this point, what the f*** else do we have to lose by playing your 4* kids from the bench for a few series and see what shakes out? So what if they whiff on a wrong route or get burned?—that’s ALREADY happening, and our starters aren’t exactly lighting things up on either side of the ball. 

Time to do some wholesale changes and shake things up...because the status quo isn’t going to win games, as it’s been proven four (and almost five) times already. This season is a mulligan—freakin’ coach like it and get kids experience they wouldn’t normally get in the field, FFS. 

Also, an obligatory Chinander sucks, Lubbick sucks, and Frost needs a mental enema. 

Honestly I wouldn’t mind seeing piper, will farniok, and sichterman/bando from here on. The combinations of starting 5 have gotten beaten like a drum and we need to start playing these guys for meaningful snaps.

Also, the other side that was supposed to be our strong suit is the DB core. Where the hell is the senior leadership? Dismuke has played well at times and our younger Db’s deserve more of a look. 

Scott is way too in his own head with the offense and this team and all 3 phases suffer from the lack of oversight.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Urban Meyer talked about the three reasons that good teams underperform and it was all about trust. And that's glaringly obvious with this team. 

The coaches don't trust their players which is why the play calling is screwed up and less talented guys start. The coaches don't trust them not to make mistakes for obvious reasons. 

I'm not sure if the players trusting the coaches is a problem, but the departures suggest it is. 

Finally, the players don't trust each other at all. QBs don't trust their OL or WRs. Defenders don't trust guys to be in the right spot. 

I don't know how you fix it, but every issue Urban mentioned Nebraska has and until the trust issues get better nothing else matters.  

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Urban Meyer talked about the three reasons that good teams underperform and it was all about trust. And that's glaringly obvious with this team. 

The coaches don't trust their players which is why the play calling is screwed up and less talented guys start. The coaches don't trust them not to make mistakes for obvious reasons. 

I'm not sure if the players trusting the coaches is a problem, but the departures suggest it is. 

Finally, the players don't trust each other at all. QBs don't trust their OL or WRs. Defenders don't trust guys to be in the right spot. 

I don't know how you fix it, but every issue Urban mentioned Nebraska has and until the trust issues get better nothing else matters.  

Trust, entitlement and mismanagement.  It was a great 7 minutes.  Listening to it, he described NU's problems to a T.  Almost like he was talking about us and not UM/PSU.......We are a mucked up team right now. Top to bottom and left to right....

It'd be huge to have him come in a review our program and give some "fixes".  I think his incite would be invaluable....

• Plus1 1

Nothing. I learned nothing.

Today's game seemed uniquely designed to teach us nothing.

Are we better off with Luke or Adrian moving forward?  No idea.

Surely one of the young running backs will start showing promise and earning more touches. Right? 

Are we asking too much of Wan'dale, or using him too little? Both?

Does Frost stay too loyal to offensive lineman who embarrass even the broadcasters? We already knew that.

Are the wide receivers good or s#!tty, are they getting open but the QBs don't see them, or does the OL not give passing plays a fighting chance? I don't know.

Is the defense better that last week? Last year? Trending in the right direction?  Or you know, not?  

Can this team survive two turnovers but not three? Three stupid penalties but not four? 

Will there ever be a Nebraska game where HuskerBoard fans don't screech referee bias? 

Do we learn more from close games where we choke in the clutch, or blowouts where we never get a rhythm? And what difference does that make? 

How good is Iowa? I'm guessing they didn't learn anything playing Nebraska either. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

Trust, entitlement and mismanagement.  It was a great 7 minutes.  Listening to it, he described NU's problems to a T.  Almost like he was talking about us and not UM/PSU.......We are a mucked up team right now. Top to bottom and left to right....

It'd be huge to have him come in a review our program and give some "fixes".  I think his incite would be invaluable....

Urban seems to have a soft spot for Nebraska. I wish they'd find a way for him to consult a coach like that could help Frost fix a lot I think.