Iowa What Did We Learn?

seaofred92

The CoachWhisperer idea is funny. Just hire that guy. It's as bad an idea as bringing in assistants to fix the head coach's glaring deficiencies. It's not like he's doing charity work.

Perhaps one day UNICEF will get into NCAA football coaching, but until that day comes we should expect the guy we pay $5 mill to get the job done.

• Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

The CoachWhisperer idea is funny. Just hire that guy. It's as bad an idea as bringing in assistants to fix the head coach's glaring deficiencies. It's not like he's doing charity work.

Perhaps one day UNICEF will get into NCAA football coaching, but until that day comes we should expect the guy we pay $5 mill to get the job done.

Urban Meyer wouldn't touch the Husker head coach job with a 10 foot pole. Maybe he'd be a consultant, but even that's doubtful. 

More than anything, they need mental toughness. I think they are getting it slowly, but they also still make bad, bad decisions at the worst possible times.

The clap thing I think is a good example of all of this. Without arguing about the legality or the ethics of the thing, perhaps the center just needs to get better. High snaps are still a thing this far into his career.

Old mistakes cannot persist. They just can't.

There *is* talent on this team. Wandale is a special player. The QBs have things they do very well (and things they don't) - the coaches need to figure out how to get everyone in the best frame of mind to succeed, both situationally within games, and in preparation and effort outside of games. Don't get too high, don't get too low, don't read your own press, and don't assume *anything*.

We have some very, very good freshmen. Developing those players is everything. Too many promising players have come through the program and regressed over time.

Most other years, an Iowa loss would have been the bitter end of a bitter season. At least we have more football to play.

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Nice Joe Dirty reference. :)

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Urban Meyer wouldn't touch the Husker head coach job with a 10 foot pole. Maybe he'd be a consultant, but even that's doubtful. 

I'm sure all coaches ask for advice but some of the suggestions sound like bringing in a new staff to cover for our $5 million dollar coach. Then he can just wander around like an old senile retired general and talk about the good old days. I have a suspicion that what he needs is less advice from the old gang.

2 hours ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

My question is why does this team repeatedly find a way to lose? Does this reflect more on the coaches or players?

It reflects on both but it is up to the highly paid incompetent coaches to fix this crap. Unfortunately, these coaches have zero idea on what is needed to turn things around or else we would have seen some improvement somewhere.

After the low of getting our a$$es kick by Illinois, we played slightly better than Iowa other than the muffed punt. We also hung with NW, who turned out to be a much better team than we realized at the time. I think we're still struggling with talent and inexperience, but we're slowly (too slowly) making progress.

• Plus1 1

Just read the ESPN story about Ferentz and the clapping. For staying around one school for so long and being a B-level coach, he has quite an ego. His deflecting, to me, shows that they were clearly intentional. I’m fine with the gamesmanship but it indicates to me that he isn’t confident in his program to win without the gimmicks. 

What I find interesting is that Iowa has  the best decade in their history with our worst in 60+ years but still can barely beat our team with Frost as HC. I’m looking forward to next year already... just hope the corner is turned in that time. 

• Plus1 2