Iowa What Did We Learn?

seaofred92

2 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

Just my opinion but two personnel changes result in a win.

1. Swap Jurgens and Farniok.

2. Anyone but Nelson at the OLB position.  I don’t want to bag on the kid because he’s obviously got a huge heart, but if you look at the plays where he “could” have had a role, on first pass I think he played his position properly maybe 20% of the time.  His overruns and lack of containment are just awful. 

My big problem with these issues is not the kids making mistakes, but the fact their position coaches and head coaches are not holding them accountable. If they don’t play smarter, then they need to ride the pine as in so many cases those individual players managed to undermine what the other the guys were try to do.  If I were behind these guys on the depth chart I would be pissed.  

Ultimately that falls on Frost and he needs to stop doing a bad (too predictable) job as the OC and instead to focus on owning the quality control for the whole team....as whatever scheme or play calling issues there are, the lack of individual discipline at key positions is blowing up everyone else’s efforts.

Why is it always assumed there is someone riding the pine that is better both physically and mentally than the guy playing?

• Plus1 4

14 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Why is it always assumed there is someone riding the pine that is better both physically and mentally than the guy playing?

If you’re not executing at an 80% level, you give someone else some snaps to see what they can do. When you’re executing at below 50% level, you platoon your top three guys and after review of a full game tape with shared snaps, you re-order your depth chart. You simply cannot let Nelson play the way he does and just keep pretending everything is fine and nothing needs to change.  

I should add that based on the play of the ILB’s it might be wise to get Ruud involved in mentoring the kid to see if he can get through to Nelson as his current position coach is most certainly not. 

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

I'm not sure of Payne's status yesterday.

He was in for the goal line play where the Iowa RB cut back into empty space for the walk in TD.  Everyone else on the defensive front slanted hard to their left and pushed back their OL, but Payne just submarined the guy opposite him which not only created the cutback lane, but also cutoff Williams from making the play from the backside (he tried to hurdle over Payne to get there but couldn’t make it). 

6 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

I learned Frost talks to the Refs just like Bo did lol..

Funny how much more the mics can pick up when there's no crowd, eh? People acted like it was something that only Bo did, but if you put a mic on other coaches as much as they did on Bo...

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I learned that Rutgers plays together for 60 minutes a game and it shows...Rutgers might beat us this season, glad we don't play them.  I know that if we did, the game would be close.

We might in the crossover. I dont believe they allow rematches, so no psu

I learned that we have truly descended as a program.  When we complain about a "clap-cadence" and difficult scheduling, we can no longer call ourselves an "elite" program.  

Does anyone recall K-State Quarterback Chad May complaining about Husker defenders "gouging" his eyes out following their 24-7 loss to a Frazier-less, Berringer-less Husker team in 1994?  If it looks like one, and talks like one, it is one (an excuse).  

Let's fix our fundamentals and quit complaining about externalities.  Snapping, blocking, tackling, turnovers. 

Finally, and separately, do we really need a data analytics team to interpret what we see every Saturday?  I heard something yesterday about percentage of scoring success when we snap well and fail to commit a penalty on an offensive series.  A pencil and paper are sufficient to track our problems.  We are making our problems far more complicated than they are.

I didn't want to read through the whole thread, but I learned Ferentz playing dumb with the racial issues in the program wasn't a one-off thing - apparently that's a go to deflection method for him.

I don't like whining about the clapping, we had plenty of chances to win that had nothing to do with that. But did his response seem a little too dumb to anyone else? No rational adult being warned about their sideline clapping to affect the snap assumes that means they can't clap to cheer their team on. His whole "it's ridiculous, we complied but I caught myself clapping a few times because that's how we cheer" is bizarre, especially after mentioning hearing about clapping to affect the cadence at another school. I seriously doubt the refs just said "no clapping on the sideline" without context, and even if they did it doesn't take a genius to figure out when clapping will have the potential to affect the snap, and the type of clap. I don't like that we brought it up in the presser, but Ferentz's response was equally absurd.

• Plus1 3