Ronald Delancy Enters Transfer Portal

seaofred92

2 minutes ago, Farms said:

I remember these Florida guys all being a close knit group when they were recruited. At the time it seemed like a blessing when they were peer recruiting each other. Seemed liked dominoes once one left. 

Gray was a huge piece of holding all that together I think. He left for legitimate family issues and I think him leaving probably started the avalanche. If he stays who knows. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Gray was a huge piece of holding all that together I think. He left for legitimate family issues and I think him leaving probably started the avalanche. If he stays who knows. 

Yea you can’t help but wonder.. In hindsight the coaches put a lot of eggs in one basket with this group and unfortunately it just didn’t work out.

12 minutes ago, Toe said:

@FrantzHardySwag Fair point, but the majority of those guys weren't evaluated by this staff, or in the case of the 2018 guys were only given a brief evaluation before signing day.

I think thats the rub. Will it continue, or will it get better. The 2020 class is concerning. Greene gone, Fleming (probably) gone, Delancy gone, Francois gone, Manning (Milk Carton), Gray gone, Maauga-Clements (Milk Carton). That's a lot of misses for it being less than a year from signing day. Frost really can't afford another class like that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think thats the rub. Will it continue, or will it get better. The 2020 class is concerning. Greene gone, Fleming (probably) gone, Delancy gone, Francois gone, Manning (Milk Carton), Gray gone, Maauga-Clements (Milk Carton). That's a lot of misses for it being less than a year from signing day. Frost really can't afford another class like that. 

Yep.. And l’m not sure a lot of guys in the next class are immediate contributors. I guess maybe the Covid year will give us another year to try and recover.

43 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Departures are concerning. What I really don't get is why so many are so freaked out when freshmen don't become immediate superstars. Yes, there's definitely some guys like Wan'dale who are ready to play from day one, but they're still the exception and not the rule. And guess what? Almost our entire WR and RB roster is true freshmen and redshirt freshmen! I still say that's easily the biggest issue with this offense. Question is, why were those two position groups hit so hard by guys bailing, and as you said, will it stop?

But really, that's probably not even the right question. In this day and age, it's probably not going to stop. It's probably better to ask what does a 'normal' amount of departures look like these days, and how can we manage that expected turnover?

As for JUCO guys, I have mixed feelings on how much they should be expected to make an immediate impact. Certainly we all had high hopes for Manning, and from the sound of things it's anybody's guess whether he'll ultimately be a major contributor. A guy like Maauga-Clements, though, he's a 3-for-2 guy, and with the covid freebie year he'll be around for a long time yet.

Out of +1s but I agree with the last few posts.

As for EMC, let me start by saying that I loved his film and everything said about his time at his junior college. Also, I think there’s a really good chance he ends up being the big time contributor for us that we all expect. With that said, based solely on his offer list, he should probably be rated more along the lines of a 3-star, 83ish graded player and certainly not the 4-star bump he randomly got on Rivals. I think if he had that rating, we’d see him as more of a hidden gem (and I do believe he’s a hidden gem) who needs time rather than wondering if he’s a bit of a 4-star bust since we haven’t heard much about him. Shoot, it took Honas time too and he had Wisconsin, Cal, and Iowa offers and was the #1 ILB recruit.

53 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Question then, I think Fisher got a lot of pats on the back for reeling in all those 4 star Florida kids in the 2020 class. So is it on him for lack of character evals? 

I'm not going to go there on "character" because that's really tough to know.  And impossible to know what all is going into the situation.

Not the least of which is going from Florida to Lincoln is enough of a culture shock as it is.  Then they're thrown into all online classes, supposed to stay away from most social gatherings and - for a long time - mostly being away from the actual football they came here to play.  Add anything else on top of that and it's easy to see how things could go downhill quickly.

I do think it's a fair question to ask if we're getting the right guys.  I'm not sure it's really know-able but two of the guys we've lost out of the 2018 class were DBs as well - Cam'ron Jones (Texas) and CJ Smith (Florida).  247 doesn't show them as guys Fisher recruited but they were in his room.  So we're going to have to have something change quickly or we're not going to have any players in a year or two.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Then they're thrown into all online classes, supposed to stay away from most social gatherings and - for a long time - mostly being away from the actual football they came here to play.  Add anything else on top of that and it's easy to see how things could go downhill quickly.

Just from following the Reddit board for the university I work for, I can tell you that there's a whoooole lot of doom and gloom and burnout among students this semester. I'm sure a lot of our players are feeling it, too.

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

Not the least of which is going from Florida to Lincoln is enough of a culture shock as it is.  Then they're thrown into all online classes, supposed to stay away from most social gatherings and - for a long time - mostly being away from the actual football they came here to play.  Add anything else on top of that and it's easy to see how things could go downhill quickly.

I believe this is an excellent point that plays a very big role in the start of the attrition we've seen. When the year was postponed on top of the everything going on off the field, the "college experience" that has easily kept kids at schools when coming from any distance was absent.  Nothing to do, not many to hang out with, nothing to look forward to, it's easy to see kids missing the comfort and "normalcy" they had back home