Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

11 minutes ago, admo said:

Proud of him.  Played a pretty good game.  He still waits on receivers to almost stop their route before firing it.  Not every time but quite often.   

I'm sure a lot of that is lacking trust in his receivers and having them run the wrong route too many times in practice/last year.  I am not saying Martinez doesn't deserve any blame, but if he throws the ball expecting a WR to be there and it gets picked, then he's slammed by the fans and everyone is calling for his benching.

• Plus1 5

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm sure a lot of that is lacking trust in his receivers and having them run the wrong route too many times in practice/last year.  I am not saying Martinez doesn't deserve any blame, but if he throws the ball expecting a WR to be there and it gets picked, then he's slammed by the fans and everyone is calling for his benching.

Fans are brutal, I understand.  What you mention can be fixed.  It's just communication, trust, do your job and being on the same page.  Let it rip.

But I also think a problem is the preaching to be smart with the ball, and it gets in their head (QB1).  So they play it safe and wait on the WRs to come open.  Then fire it.  Which is Tim Tebow style without his arm strength lol.

4 minutes ago, admo said:

Fans are brutal, I understand.  What you mention can be fixed.  It's just communication, trust, do your job and being on the same page.  Let it rip.

But I also think a problem is the preaching to be smart with the ball, and it gets in their head (QB1).  So they play it safe and wait on the WRs to come open.  Then fire it.  Which is Tim Tebow style without his arm strength lol.

Yep, neither guy is able to anticipate a receiver being open or throw a receiver open.

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Are not the Wr playing simply because they know the playbook?

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think "holding the ball too long" is another one of those easy, go-to complaints when we need somewhere to place the blame.

Pro Football Focus credited one sack and one QB hit to Martinez holding the ball too long.  So he really only hurt the team on one play (hurt himself on the other play) by holding the ball too long.  One play out of 30 pass plays is not a very high percentage.  And when people complain about holding the ball too long, they are almost exclusively looking at it on the bad side of things.  If he bails out of 3rd & 23 sooner and throws the ball away, we don't get that conversion and don't score a TD on that drive.  Good QBs hold the ball as long as they can to let the play develop.  There is a line to find there but I don't think 1 out of 30 is across that line.

Martinez broke the school record for completion percentage yesterday.  He was 1/2 on throws 20+ yards downfield which isn't a lot of attempts but at least we completed the one on a terrific throw.  He was a perfect 14/14 on throws under 10 yards.  

I think he played a really good game.  If he gets a little more help from the special teams and weren't down to our third-string RB (and a converted WR), we probably win that game.

Martinez had the big run (on a designed play) which had NU inside Iowa’s 20 yard line, which was called back due to a holding which didn’t have an impact on the play. It was probably the right call, but if Benhart doesn’t make a freshman mistake, NU could have taken the lead on that drive. Martinez played well enough for NU to win that game yesterday. 

• Plus1 6
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Martinez had the big run (on a designed play) which had NU inside Iowa’s 20 yard line, which was called back due to a holding which didn’t have an impact on the play. It was probably the right call, but if Benhart doesn’t make a freshman mistake, NU could have taken the lead on that drive. Martinez played well enough for NU to win that game yesterday. 

I'd like to watch that play again.  That was a pretty bogus call if it was actually on Benhart.  I saw several on Twitter say that Jurgens was probably holding as well.  So perhaps they meant to say 51 instead of 54.  Doesn't really matter other than if it really was on Benhart I think we got screwed.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Mavric said:

I'd like to watch that play again.  That was a pretty bogus call if it was actually on Benhart.  I saw several on Twitter say that Jurgens was probably holding as well.  So perhaps they meant to say 51 instead of 54.  Doesn't really matter other than if it really was on Benhart I think we got screwed.

I thought the holding call was going to be on Jurgens, as well, because it was a close play, at the point of attack on that play. The media guys on Twitter seemed like it was an obvious call against Benhart, but I hate when officials make penalty calls when they don’t have an impact on the success of the play. 

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think "holding the ball too long" is another one of those easy, go-to complaints when we need somewhere to place the blame.

Pro Football Focus credited one sack and one QB hit to Martinez holding the ball too long.  So he really only hurt the team on one play (hurt himself on the other play) by holding the ball too long.  One play out of 30 pass plays is not a very high percentage.  And when people complain about holding the ball too long, they are almost exclusively looking at it on the bad side of things.  If he bails out of 3rd & 23 sooner and throws the ball away, we don't get that conversion and don't score a TD on that drive.  Good QBs hold the ball as long as they can to let the play develop.  There is a line to find there but I don't think 1 out of 30 is across that line.

Martinez broke the school record for completion percentage yesterday.  He was 1/2 on throws 20+ yards downfield which isn't a lot of attempts but at least we completed the one on a terrific throw.  He was a perfect 14/14 on throws under 10 yards.  

I think he played a really good game.  If he gets a little more help from the special teams and weren't down to our third-string RB (and a converted WR), we probably win that game.

No question about his accuracy overall.  Was nearly perfect (even was smart enough to throw one a way which negated a sack).  He's not holding onto the ball per say.  The o line does him no favors at times.  But it's clear to see that he's not throwing timely passes or in sync as often as he could be. Guys shouldn't have to turn around and wait on the ball that often. They should be able to get YAC instead of a SMACK.

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

IT WAS A BOGUS CALL!  The replay in slowmo  did no favors.  The second AM got out in space with daylight, the hanky came flying in.  Total crap call.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, admo said:

No question about his accuracy overall.  Was nearly perfect (even was smart enough to throw one a way which negated a sack).  He's not holding onto the ball per say.  The o line does him no favors at times.  But it's clear to see that he's not throwing timely passes or in sync as often as he could be. Guys shouldn't have to turn around and wait on the ball that often. They should be able to get YAC instead of a SMACK.

And Martinez was able to do that quite a bit as a freshman when he had a talented, veteran receiver like Stanley Morgan (along with Spielman). Martinez hasn’t had that type of receiver since then. 

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, admo said:

I'd be curious how things are happening in practice.  This is pure speculation on my part but I wonder if we've been trying to get the new guys up to speed because they have more potential but they just aren't there yet so they don't get as many snaps during games.  But maybe that means we're trying to get 8-9 guys reps in practice instead of 5-6 so it's tougher to get everyone synced up.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

And Martinez was able to do that quite a bit as a freshman when he had a talented, veteran receiver like Stanley Morgan (along with Spielman). Martinez hasn’t had that type of receiver since then. 

Yes he was, for sure, and defenses had trouble with those guys. They stretched the field and lots of YAC.  Seemed like Stoltz was emerging and in the mix as well. 

• Plus1 1
  • jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic