Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

1 minute ago, admo said:

Yes he was, for sure, and defenses had trouble with those guys. They stretched the field and lots of YAC.  Seemed like Stoltz was emerging and in the mix as well. 

I watched the NU-Illinois game in person in 2018, and it was amazing to see how many receivers were running open on deep routes, and Adrian was hitting them. Two years later, it’s not the same type of offense. I know Big Ten defenses are learning what Frost is doing, but the talent hasn’t been there at WR. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'd be curious how things are happening in practice.  This is pure speculation on my part but I wonder if we've been trying to get the new guys up to speed because they have more potential but they just aren't there yet so they don't get as many snaps during games.  But maybe that means we're trying to get 8-9 guys reps in practice instead of 5-6 so it's tougher to get everyone synced up.

I don't know, but it could very well be. Different guys running the same rep play with different speeds (talent/quickness) and slightly different breaks (vets/newcomers). 

6 hours ago, macroboy said:

True. And then we got to see that Luke can run really fast...and that is about all.

I do think AM holds the ball too long, and misses open receivers, and he is still a better passer than LMC by quite a ways. We can also run way more of our offense with him in the game. He hasn't developed like we thought he would but it is obvious he is who needs to be starting at QB.

Frost puts Martinez into lousy pocket passing plays to the slowest receivers of all time. He abandons the style that just took us down the field at lightening speed and goes back to the nobody open, nobody blocks crap. 
THAT IS ENTIRELY ON FROST. We don't roll out to buy time, as if you could with our matador right side of the line, but we don't even try. THAT'S FROST.
No more talking about player mistakes costing us when we just got through watching his lousy play calling and weak pass rush bumble away the game.

• Plus1 1
On 11/27/2020 at 7:14 PM, Decked said:

Fumble wasn’t even his fault. Adrian is still the QB and Luke is nothing more than a change of pace & relief player. If we had some better players around him old Adrian may make a return every now and then. 

This is essentially how I feel about Adrian, too.

I remember the drive (I think 2nd quarter) where Adrian came back in. Jurgens had done well the previous two drives with Luke, but then sent two wild snaps to AM on this particular drive, one of which set up a 3rd and 23. The look on AM's face when he climbed up from the ground was a 'I don't know what I'm supposed to do here.'

AM certainly has his own struggles, but it's a lot to ask him (or really any QB) to make up for the all the mistakes and errors happening elsewhere.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

This is essentially how I feel about Adrian, too.

I remember the drive (I think 2nd quarter) where Adrian came back in. Jurgens had done well the previous two drives with Luke, but then sent two wild snaps to AM on this particular drive, one of which set up a 3rd and 23. The look on AM's face when he climbed up from the ground was a 'I don't know what I'm supposed to do here.'

AM certainly has his own struggles, but it's a lot to ask him (or really any QB) to make up for the all the mistakes and errors happening elsewhere.

For a sec, the thought crossed my mind that Jurgens might have been actively trying to sabotage Martinez. Then I thought, nah. No way a Nebraska boy would intentionally try to make the Huskers lose. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

For a sec, the thought crossed my mind that Jurgens might have been actively trying to sabotage Martinez. Then I thought, nah. No way a Nebraska boy would intentionally try to make the Huskers lose. 

Ha, I thought the same thing.  I yelled out that Jurgens was shaving points worse than Hedake Smith from Arizona State (Google him, it's a fun rabbit hole.)

3 hours ago, CAHusker said:

Im fine with Adrian, but for god sake he please hit a receiver on one freekn fly route!  Just once, so we can believe its possible.  

I watched a bit of the Okie State/Texas Tech game this weekend, and the efficiency OSU exhibited in their passing game really highlighted Nebraska's struggles to execute similar concepts. One play in particular (basically a corner fade route from about 30 yards from the end zone in single coverage) was executed so well by OSU: the receiver was quick, created enough separation and the QB just put the ball in an area the receiver could go make a play.

Meanwhile, any number of things seem more likely to go wrong for Nebraska than right on that type of play. Either a false start, the QB not seeing the open man/opportunity, a missed blocking assignment causing the QB to leave the pocket, etc.

On 11/28/2020 at 3:11 PM, Hayseed said:

Frost puts Martinez into lousy pocket passing plays to the slowest receivers of all time. He abandons the style that just took us down the field at lightening speed and goes back to the nobody open, nobody blocks crap. 
THAT IS ENTIRELY ON FROST. We don't roll out to buy time, as if you could with our matador right side of the line, but we don't even try. THAT'S FROST.
No more talking about player mistakes costing us when we just got through watching his lousy play calling and weak pass rush bumble away the game.

jim carrey typing GIF

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

Meanwhile, any number of things seem more likely to go wrong for Nebraska than right on that type of play. Either a false start, the QB not seeing the open man/opportunity, a missed blocking assignment causing the QB to leave the pocket, etc.

I"m sure somehow our WR would be called for targeting and get kicked out of the game...and half the next.

• jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic