Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

This isn't as much as about Martinez specifically as it is just the offense as a whole.

One thing I would really like for them to implement into the offense is out of the shotgun formation, Luke as a HB to one side with mills as a HB to the other side. There would be countless option plays, playaction option plays, etc we could run out of the formation, heck with Luke and martinez in the backfield they would both have the potential to throw on any given play. Even aside from Luke I'd like to see mills and rhamir back there or some sort of combination, I feel like it would make the offense potentially much less predictable.

Anyone know if this even in Frost's playbook, or why we dont try something out of this formation?

8 hours ago, Aliens05 said:

This isn't as much as about Martinez specifically as it is just the offense as a whole.

One thing I would really like for them to implement into the offense is out of the shotgun formation, Luke as a HB to one side with mills as a HB to the other side. There would be countless option plays, playaction option plays, etc we could run out of the formation, heck with Luke and martinez in the backfield they would both have the potential to throw on any given play. Even aside from Luke I'd like to see mills and rhamir back there or some sort of combination, I feel like it would make the offense potentially much less predictable.

Anyone know if this even in Frost's playbook, or why we dont try something out of this formation?

I'm guessing we see some formations similar to this once the majority of the team understands basic plays.  We still have guys out of place occasionally on basic zone reads.  Maybe if we get a bowl game that allows more than 5 days prep time, otherwise it will be next season assuming we have a normal spring and fall camp.

12 hours ago, Aliens05 said:

It is but Frost has decided to do away with all of his creativity since coming to Nebraska. Qb draws are about all you will see for the foreseeable future

I kind of see the argument that Frost could potentially be more creative and throw some more trickeration in there.

But on the other side of that coin, if we had pulled off the wins at, say, Illinois & Iowa I sort of doubt it gets brought up.

In my opinion our offensive struggles are due way, way more to poor interior offensive line play and dumb penalties. In other words, our team still struggles with some of the basics in Year Three...so expecting that trickeration or more play creativity can make up for those gaps is probably a bit misguided in my own opinion.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, ndobney said:

It is but Frost has decided to do away with all of his creativity since coming to Nebraska. Qb draws are about all you will see for the foreseeable future

I'm sure he decided to completely abandon his complete offensive identity for no reason other than to drive you to post on this message board... No way it could have anything to do with the drastically limited schedule, and tons of inexperience.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, Undone said:

But on the other side of that coin, if we had pulled off the wins at, say, Illinois & Iowa I sort of doubt it gets brought up.

I tend to agree with this.

Sort of makes me think about offensive play-calling in general. I think fans have a tendency to question playcalling or label a play as a "bad call" when it doesn't work, even though the call itself may have been a good one. But, 1-2 players make a mistake, perhaps even causing a cascade of additional mistakes, and boom... bad play, even though the theory may have been sound.

There's obviously something to be said about making the right call at the right time though, particularly based on the flow of the game. I have had some concerns with that over the last few years... particularly on some of those swing passes or bubble screens that go nowhere. Frost has at times treated those as bread and butter plays but it doesn't seem like the execution is there enough.

• Plus1 2

While we are at it ...

Well done on the inept coaching and broken plays/drives.

Congrats on the predictable ineffective play-calling.

Way to go on the failure to adjust at all.

Kudos to the players and coaches on the many penalties.

Haazah! for losing to a team that would not beat a single SEC team (except maybe Vanderbilt) and has one of the worst defenses in the entire country.  

I’ve never rooted for a QB to be good more then I have for Martinez. I am incredibly sad that being a good person/teammate does not automatically mean that you will be a good QB and able to carry an inept coaching staff on your back along with a bunch of freshman.  But so many other issues as well. 

On 12/9/2020 at 1:18 PM, Undone said:

I kind of see the argument that Frost could potentially be more creative and throw some more trickeration in there.

But we don’t win any of the close ones. I guess you can argue Penn State, but we tried to give that one away. 

12 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

But we don’t win any of the close ones. I guess you can argue Penn State, but we tried to give that one away. 

Against Northwestern we were on their 2 yard line, down by 8. We call a run play to Mills, McCaffrey had gotten us into the wrong set and the play gets stuffed due to being in the wrong set and the blocking assignments being off. On the next play, McCaffrey bounces a pass off Benhart's helmet and they intercept it.

Against Iowa we were only down 6, middle of the 4th quarter. Taylor-Britt lets a punt reception bounce off his pads and they recover.

Against Minnesota, our backup QB throws an interception after coming in for just a couple plays. We have an 8 yard shanked punt. We don't block on a passing play and Martinez gets the ball knocked out of his hands.

So look at this litany of bulls***. Does more offensive creativity overcome it? I suppose it's possible. But the root of our issues are sloppy play, dumb penalties, and turnovers rather than it being that Frost is "lacking creativity on offense."

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Against Northwestern we were on their 2 yard line, down by 8. We call a run play to Mills, McCaffrey had gotten us into the wrong set and the play gets stuffed due to being in the wrong set and the blocking assignments being off. On the next play, McCaffrey bounces a pass off Benhart's helmet and they intercept it.

Against Iowa we were only down 6, middle of the 4th quarter. Taylor-Britt lets a punt reception bounce off his pads and they recover.

Against Minnesota, our backup QB throws an interception after coming in for just a couple plays. We have an 8 yard shanked punt. We don't block on a passing play and Martinez gets the ball knocked out of his hands.

So look at this litany of bulls***. Does more offensive creativity overcome it? I suppose it's possible. But the root of our issues are sloppy play, dumb penalties, and turnovers rather than it being that Frost is "lacking creativity on offense."

And why do we take opportune moments to shoot ourselves? Time after time after time?  Is it just random and if we play these same games out again, we don’t do those things? There is a reason because now we’re doing these things with a high degree of predictability. 

• jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic