Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t read too much into high school stats. I liked what I saw out of Smothers in his film, but I am far from a football talent evaluator. 

Same.  I only looked it up to see how he was as a passing QB vs running when AM started to struggle this year.  It always appears our back up QB(s) is/are the most popular.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

It's just weird because Dedrick got 12 carries against Minnesota. Was he still kind of hurt in that game?

But then he gets 25 carries against Rutgers and we literally trampled them.

That’s the difference in winning 1-3 more games this season. Committing to downhill running in order to open up the E/W razzle dazzle

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

That’s the difference in winning 1-3 more games this season. Committing to downhill running in order to open up the E/W razzle dazzle

Keep in mind that Mills wasn’t healthy for most of the season and the RB room was a complete mess, so it’s a little challenging to commit to run the ball downhill without a running back suited to do so.

Frost does need to figure out how to run the ball with the running back in this offense, but that’s a combination of o-line, running back, and scheme. 

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Does it seem like we have more of a problem with QBs getting injured now than when we ran a power run/option offense back in the 80s and 90s?

I haven’t looked at the numbers but I would think that the QB’s have had more carries under Frost than NU QB’s did in the 80s and 90s.  Add in additional hits while passing, by bigger and faster athletes in today’s game, it’s not far-fetched to have the QB’s facing more injuries now. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I haven’t looked at the numbers but I would think that the QB’s have had more carries under Frost than NU QB’s did in the 80s and 90s.  Add in additional hits while passing, by bigger and faster athletes in today’s game, it’s not far-fetched to have the QB’s facing more injuries now. 

Idk even when they weren't credited for a run they were still getting popped anytime we ran the option, but they didn't tend to play a full game during our 90s dominance.

Also, Berringer had a collapsed lung for god sake.

• Plus1 2

On 12/19/2020 at 2:37 PM, Mavric said:

I don't know if it was so much emotional as it was just a bad confluence of influences.  We haven't had as much success as we'd like.  They said the QB competition was close.  Martinez struggled.  Luke showed flash against Ohio State then moved the ball well against Northwestern.  So he gets a shot and - even though he didn't play particularly well - we still beat Penn State.  So, since wins have been really hard to come by, there's really no way to go back right away.  And by the time we did it was too late.

It's just my opinion as I haven't looked at the stats, but AM seemed to play better after he was benched.

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It's just my opinion as I haven't looked at the stats, but AM seemed to play better after he was benched.

IIRC it's been posted somewhere in this thread, but from what I recall he played better. Not just to the eyes, but statistically as well.  I think he was above 70% completion rate which is not bad considering we are not quite receiver U....or known for our vertical passing game:D

I figured it'd be interesting to do a comparison of Nebraska's last 3 dual threat QBs and their turn overs through their Junior year. 

Adrian (28 games): 20 INTs, 27 Fum -15 Lost, Avg TO per game 1.25

Tommy (34 games): 36 INTs, 17 Fum - 9 Lost, Avg TO per game 1.32

Taylor (39 games): 27 INTs, 45 Fum - 13 Lost, AvgTO per game 1.02

Some other dudes...

Milton (33 games): 22 INTs, 11 Fum - 5 Lost, Avg TO per game 

Mariota (41 games) 14 INTs, 26 Fum - 11 Lost, Avg TO per game 0.61

• Thanks 1
  • jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic