Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

I figured it'd be interesting to do a comparison of Nebraska's last 3 dual threat QBs and their turn overs through their Junior year. 

Adrian (28 games): 20 INTs, 27 Fum -15 Lost, Avg TO per game 1.25

Tommy (34 games): 36 INTs, 17 Fum - 9 Lost, Avg TO per game 1.32

Taylor (39 games): 27 INTs, 45 Fum - 13 Lost, AvgTO per game 1.02

Some other dudes...

Milton (33 games): 22 INTs, 11 Fum - 5 Lost, Avg TO per game 

Mariota (41 games) 14 INTs, 26 Fum - 11 Lost, Avg TO per game 0.61

Ball control has been an issue here for a long time 

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Does it seem like we have more of a problem with QBs getting injured now than when we ran a power run/option offense back in the 80s and 90s?

I memory serves correct, Frost played through a significantly elbow injury his Jr season, and Crouch played through a severely compromised shoulder.

16 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I haven’t looked at the numbers but I would think that the QB’s have had more carries under Frost than NU QB’s did in the 80s and 90s.  Add in additional hits while passing, by bigger and faster athletes in today’s game, it’s not far-fetched to have the QB’s facing more injuries now. 

I would bet Adrian's carries are in line with what we saw from TF & Frost & nowhere near Crouch.  Solich underutilized the FB and fell in love with the lead option.

1 hour ago, floridacorn said:

I memory serves correct, Frost played through a significantly elbow injury his Jr season, and Crouch played through a severely compromised shoulder.

I would bet Adrian's carries are in line with what we saw from TF & Frost & nowhere near Crouch.  Solich underutilized the FB and fell in love with the lead option.

I am not going to post the links but Adrian has averaged 13-14 carries per game in his career, compared to Frazier’s 9-10 carries per game each year of his career.  Frost averaged 10 carries per game in 96, and that was bumped up to 14.5 carries per game in 97, when Osborne added more QB designed runs for him.  I agree that Solich rode Crouch and Lord to more carries per game, but I haven’t looked up those stats.

However, adding in a few additional hits with NU passing more under Frost, I stand by my statement that Martinez has taken more hits in his career than the QB’s did in the 80s and 90s. 

20 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not going to post the links but Adrian has averaged 13-14 carries per game in his career, compared to Frazier’s 9-10 carries per game each year of his career.  Frost averaged 10 carries per game in 96, and that was bumped up to 14.5 carries per game in 97, when Osborne added more QB designed runs for him.  I agree that Solich rode Crouch and Lord to more carries per game, but I haven’t looked up those stats.

However, adding in a few additional hits with NU passing more under Frost, I stand by my statement that Martinez has taken more hits in his career than the QB’s did in the 80s and 90s. 

Is a broken play counted as a carry?

On 12/15/2020 at 9:16 AM, Enhance said:

I sympathize with AM because it's like he's driving a V8 that occasionally fires on all cylinders, but often times only runs on four or five. And then he either rides the clutch a little too hard or misses a gear change here or there. Some offenses can find ways to score when things aren't aligning really well, but I don't get that feeling with Nebraska. I don't think there's a fix for that this season, and I would say I'm optimistic about 2021, but there isn't a lot we've seen offensively this year to give us hope for a vastly improved product.

You know what is sad, I know nothing at all about cars so I just have to assume what you posted is accurate.   

I just found out that I need a new Johnson Rod...Ugggg

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I still don't know about this. Think of all the times the QB had to make the defender commit on the option. Those weren't love taps they got right after the pitch. They took some  punishment, but you never see it on the stat sheet. Frost was one of the best at the last second pitch too.

Adrian and other QBs don't take too many hits with the shotgun reads these days.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I still don't know about this. Think of all the times the QB had to make the defender commit on the option. Those weren't love taps they got right after the pitch. They took some  punishment, but you never see it on the stat sheet. Frost was one of the best at the last second pitch too.

Adrian and other QBs don't take too many hits with the shotgun reads these days.

Fair enough. It’s probably a wash. 

• jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic