Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

There's just one glaring difference.  

Fields- 15 TD, 5 INT

Penix JR- 14 TD, 4 INT

Martinez- 4 TD, 3 INT

However Martinez, did do a lot more on the ground than the other two so maybe that's where he makes up for it.  I'm with you Mav, I think Martinez is better than he gets credit for, that's why I just have a hard time figuring out why our offense sucks. We put up yards but we don't score.

• Plus1 2

The fans who think Adrian is a bad quarterback are the fans who don't actually understand what is happening on a football field. He needs to work on the turnovers and he can be inaccurate at times, but he showed a lot of improvement this year and helps our offense far more than he hurts it. I'm excited to have him back.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, Mavric said:

So actual statistics mean nothing when you think they might have a bias?  That's a great argument.  Don't bother actually showing they are wrong, just throw them out because you don't want to believe them.

You can measure what ever you want to prove a point.  I'm a Six Sigma Black Belt.   You'll just have to trust me on that one.  I'm definitely not a stats expert, but I get it.

The data proves absolutely nothing in my opinion.  WTF is EPA?  LM is ahead of 11 QBs on this list.  Success rate is hilarious.  I have one of those and I don't even have to run it through Minitab.  It's called W-L.

The interesting thing is that I have to defend my point and you don't.  You post a tweet and say "see, he's good".

• Haha 2

With better support, such as more consistent o-line and RBs, I’ll take this late season version of A-Mart any season.   Clean up the fumbling. No more slippery sleeves.   The interception intended for Wandale wasn’t a terrible throw, just a little high.  Those happen with any quarterback.  It would have been catchable for 6’8” Austin Allen.  

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It means he does a much better job than most people want to give him credit for.

It means AM does some great things with his feet and can complete over 60% of his passes less than 10 yards.  Other then that it means nothing else.  
He is a turnover prone QB that can’t find receivers fast enough in read/throw situations.  It makes him a semi bad fit for this offense where it depends on a QB who can read progressions and make plays downfield. 

great kid, decent QB in the right system, just not quite what NU needs unless he makes quite the jump in the passing game next year.  

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

EPA is an interesting stat. Adrian run play EPA is elite. His passing EPA is 9th in the B1G and 79th in the nation. Last year his passing EPA was 92nd in the country and 9th in the B1G. So it begs the question, can we win games in Frosts offense relying on the QB run game but having a bottom of the B1G passer? 

Also keep in mind Milton’s passing EPA was 5th in the entire country in 2017. Adams was 21st in the country. Mariota was 15th and 2nd in the country. So Frost’s success his entire career  have come with elite passing efficiency QBs. 

12 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

EPA is an interesting stat. Adrian run play EPA is elite. His passing EPA is 9th in the B1G and 79th in the nation. Last year his passing EPA was 92nd in the country and 9th in the B1G. So it begs the question, can we win games in Frosts offense relying on the QB run game but having a bottom of the B1G passer? 

This has always been my point with AM.  As good as he is with his feet, this offense depends on someone who can find receivers and get the ball downfield in 15-25 yard plays.  Completing Anything beyond 10 yard passing plays right now is so rare, it feels like NU hit the lottery when they are completed. 

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think so, I think right now are biggest problem is lack of home run threats via running or passing.  That means we have to sustain long drives for nearly all of our scores, and when you are prone to penalties, bad snaps, and fumbles, that makes it tough to do.  Thus why we have put up a decent amount  of yards but have failed to put up a lot of points.  So we need to:

• Find a threat in the vertical passing game.  I can't recall us having one deep throw for a score.  Wandale was close on one and Martinez over threw him.
  • Play a running back with a little more speed.  I liked Mills and he did finally pop a few big runs against Rutgers but he still couldn't score.  He's a tough runner but in my opinion we need a guy that we can get into space and he can break runs for TD's.  Of course we have to get him into space which goes back to our previous point.
  • Eliminate more of those penalties, bad snaps, and turnovers so that we aren't getting behind the sticks when you are trying to sustain long drives.  
  • Score in the red zone.  We weren't great inside the 20 this year.

Bottom line is Frost's offense isn't built on sustaining long drives.  You have to hit some home runs and we aren't hitting them.  Just my idiot opinion.  

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Farms said:

I think so, I think right now are biggest problem is lack of home run threats via running or passing.  That means we have to sustain long drives for nearly all of our scores, and when you are prone to penalties, bad snaps, and fumbles, that makes it tough to do.  Thus why we have put up a decent amount  of yards but have failed to put up a lot of points.  So we need to:

• Find a threat in the vertical passing game.  I can't recall us having one deep throw for a score.  Wandale was close on one and Martinez over threw him.
  • Play a running back with a little more speed.  I liked Mills and he did finally pop a few big runs against Rutgers but he still couldn't didn't score.  He's a tough runner in my opinion we need a guy that we can get into space and he can break one for TD's.  Of course we have to get him into space which goes back to our previous point.
  • Eliminate more of those penalties, bad snaps, and turnovers so that we aren't getting behind the sticks when you are trying to sustain long drives.  
  • Score in the red zone.  We weren't great inside the 20 this year.

Bottom line is Frost's offense isn't built on sustaining long drives.  You have to hit some home runs and we aren't hitting them.  Just my idiot opinion.  

You’re not wrong. In all of Frost’s 9+ win seasons as a OC/HC his offenses were top 5 nationally in 20+ yard plays. We were 81st this year. 

• Plus1 3
  • jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic