Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

13 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I’m sure missing their top 4 wrs didn’t do him any favors but some of those throws were terrible.  Certainly didn’t make him look like a hypesman candidate 

It's possible some of those bad throws were exactly where they were intended but the receivers weren't in their correct spots.  People underestimate the chemistry/timing needed to complete passes at a high level imo..    

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I’m sure missing their top 4 wrs didn’t do him any favors but some of those throws were terrible.  Certainly didn’t make him look like a hypesman candidate 

A lot of drops, BUT a lot of horrible throws.  Dude looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there last night.  And that was before the game even started....The #2 QB should have stayed in when they pulled Trask.  Seemed to play better and was a dual threat.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

It's possible some of those bad throws were exactly where they were intended but the receivers weren't in their correct spots.  People underestimate the chemistry/timing needed to complete passes at a high level imo..    

That's why I caveat that talent was part of the issue and not having the top 4 wrs but I guarantee you some of those throws were not where they were intended to be

@lo countryAgreed

This is a bad trend for elite players who now worry their bowl performance or injury will hurt their NFL stock. 

A bad message for supporting players, too:  "actually we're NOT all in this together. There is no "I" in team, but if you rearrange the letters there is clearly a "me" in team, and that's who I"m looking out for when I leave you guys hanging for the last game of the season." 

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is a bad trend for elite players who now worry their bowl performance or injury will hurt their NFL stock. 

A bad message for supporting players, too:  "actually we're NOT all in this together. There is no "I" in team, but if you rearrange the letters there is clearly a "me" in team, and that's who I"m looking out for when I leave you guys hanging for the last game of the season." 

The new NCAA Players Bill of Rights will make it worse.  Personal endorsement contracts, no sitting when transferring or if wishing to change schools after signing your LOI......Going to be a mess if it passes...

On 12/31/2020 at 10:14 AM, Stumpy1 said:

Trask was staring down receivers and was off on his throws all night.  I dont know if it was because they were missing guys or he was having one of those games.  Might be the hypesman curse also. 

Trask was staring down players bc he had only worked with a handful consistently for a day or two. 3 guys opted out within days of game. He wasnt sure of when they were coming out if breaks or getting their heads around. This was 80% on lack of wr Corp. OU did a great job on def as pointed out. The reason why the the back up was better with timing was exactly what I pointed out. Emory Jones number 2 reps in practice have been with basically the same guys in that game.

Correlation to AM, ?? other than not having reliable, consistent WR ??

• 3 weeks later...

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Over our last four games, Martinez completed 85.8% of his passes.  Went five straight games without an INT until Rutgers.

How many fumbles did he have?

Lets be real though..he didn’t have to make many difficult throws. Everything we did this year was underneath. Probably due to WR personnel being bottom three in the conference & a mix that Adrian might not be on target for the long bomb 

• Plus1 2
Just now, Decked said:

Lets be real though..he didn’t have to make many difficult throws. Everything we did this year was underneath. Probably due to WR personnel being bottom three in the conference & a mix that Adrian might not be on target for the long bomb 

Minnesota was the only one of those games where he really struggled to throw downfield.  He was 0-4 over 20 yards in that game.  That was the game he seemed to hurt his shoulder.  In the other three games he was 4-7 over 20 yards.  So not a lot of attempts but pretty successful when we tried.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Decked said:

Yep, let's be real.  He GREATLY improved with the throws he did make.  He didn't try down field very often so we don't really have a good sample size to criticize him there.  That, like you said, probably is more about the WRs on the field than his ability.  Yes, if he made more shots down field, his completion percentage would probably go down.  But, that's true with just about every QB that's ever played.  The longer you throw it, the less chance of a completion.

When you see a QB that has really good success down field, you will also see a group of WRs that will be able to go up and fight for the ball and win.  Look at LSU in their championship season.  Their QB was able to just about throw anything up against well covered WRs and they came down with the ball almost every time.  We need that.

Instead, we have had WRs that don't win those battles and fans then yell.....he threw into coverage.

• Plus1 2

I just keep thinking to myself I hope he can get it together in year 4.  Less turnovers, better vision of finding receivers who are actually open, better on converting 3rd downs and just overall better decision making not only when it counts but consistently throughout the season.  It's his 4th year so you'd assume he could improve in all areas by now. 

With our defense returning almost all of our starters now is the time as far as the Martinez era is concerned and frankly for the program and for Scott Frost.

• jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic