Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Minnesota was the only one of those games where he really struggled to throw downfield.  He was 0-4 over 20 yards in that game.  That was the game he seemed to hurt his shoulder.  In the other three games he was 4-7 over 20 yards.  So not a lot of attempts but pretty successful when we tried.

Is there any place where you can find out how many of those throws were actually downfield and how many were actually underneath throws that broke for over 20. 

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Minnesota was the only one of those games where he really struggled to throw downfield.  He was 0-4 over 20 yards in that game.  That was the game he seemed to hurt his shoulder.  In the other three games he was 4-7 over 20 yards.  So not a lot of attempts but pretty successful when we tried.

The most important stat line @ Rutgers: 2 ints; 3 fumbles, 2 lost for a total of 4 turnovers. If he does that against a good team not playing their 2nd and 3rd string QBs the outlook on Martinez going into the offseason is much different. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
29 minutes ago, Farms said:

Is there any place where you can find out how many of those throws were actually downfield and how many were actually underneath throws that broke for over 20. 

I'm not an expert in exactly how stats are calculated.  But, I always thought that specifically when showing passing stats as far as yards on an attempt, this was already accounted for.  I always have thought this is different than accumulative passing yards that include yards after the catch.

Last night I re-watched the Rutgers game, for the first time.  Without the stress of winning or losing, Adrian looked really good.  He seems to do some awkward things that other top Qbs do not do.  His straight run to the sideline was really odd.  Sliding short of the first down vs. Purdue.  His fumbles in the Rutgers game were after great runs.

I think it is all mental for him right now.  If the pieces around him can help him relax and take pressure off, he will be very special again.  

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Last season Adrian was a very efficient deep passer and it was "Adrian needs to stop trying to hit a home run every play and learn to take the singles that are there." Now that he completed 70 percent of his passes and showed real growth in reading coverages, it's "Adrian can't throw deep." He needs to take better care of the ball, but this dude can't win with some of you. 

Man some of the short/intermediate accuracy on the right is no bueno. I guess I’m shocked on the deep balls. Not that he can’t make them but it seemed there was little opportunity this year. Again, due to a few factors IMO. One of those being we had almost 0 deep threats. 

4 minutes ago, Decked said:

Man some of the short/intermediate accuracy on the right is no bueno. I guess I’m shocked on the deep balls. Not that he can’t make them but it seemed there was little opportunity this year. Again, due to a few factors IMO. One of those being we had almost 0 deep threats. 

Sorry, that chart was from after the 2019 season. I don't believe the 2020 has been released, but at least from the eye test I'm assuming the underneath numbers improved this year.

• Fire 1
41 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

The most important stat line @ Rutgers: 2 ints; 3 fumbles, 2 lost for a total of 4 turnovers. If he does that against a good team not playing their 2nd and 3rd string QBs the outlook on Martinez going into the offseason is much different. 

It seemed like most of the fumble issues against Rutgers had to do with the sleeves.  I don't think he fumbled again after they cut them off.  Or maybe he was just paying more attention but it did get better.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

The only glaring problem Martinez had this year in my opinion was fumbling the ball. He has got to stop fumbling when he's diving/leaning forward for yardage. He's had so many fumbles like that in his career here so far.

I really agree with this statement:

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

What would help AM and our team is to develop a great running game.  If we did, we would have AM would have more success.  Our winning percentage would also improve GREATLY!

And you saw that in the Rutgers game. When we had a power back that wasn't injured and was in good form, it made up for like four turnovers that we had on offense.

• Plus1 2
  • jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic