Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

22 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Would you rather them say the opposite?

You think all of our coaching staff is incompetent?

I was responding a post stating that he didn't really offer any "plan" to getting things fixed.  I'm in agreement.  I never hear any real "plan", nor any real "discipline" or consequence [unless you want to say "you don't get to hike the ball for a half now"].  I have my own view and what I have done as a coach to fix problems ... so, I'm not critical of Scott or the coaching teams "plan" ... I still don't know what it is.  The "plan" is the "motto/mantra".  

I would prefer Scott to be honest that he has tried to fix the problem ... and has not had success.  I would like for him to express ... "this is kicking my @ss ... I need help ... my approach has not worked."  

I fully believe he will continue on the same path for the next three years.  I'm still hopeful that basic blocking, sound tackling, disciplined football, and competent fundamental football will blossom ... but I see no plan for that to occur and I see no corrections that ensure that to occur ... so I can't really even be critical of the "plan".

I am a frustrated fan ... as the key mistakes that lose the winnable games are all "fixable" according to Scott ... but he doesn't fix them.  It would be different if he said they were not fixable ... but he says they are ... so, I'm waiting [and I feel I'm being critical of that lack of fulfillment of his word].

Pass

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I would prefer Scott to be honest that he has tried to fix the problem ... and has not had success.  I would like for him to express ... "this is kicking my @ss ... I need help ... my approach has not worked."  

Again, he doesn't need to say it, you can just open your eyes and see that he is living it. He has focused recruiting on a completely different size of athlete than when he first got here. That is as close as saying, "I wanted small shifty speed city and I thought we would bring it right in, but it has not even come close to working, and I've spent the last 2 years trying to shift my roster from small shifty fast to big, tall and fast."

He's fired coaches that were not getting it done. He's worked to continue to bring in competition across the board at every spot. He's hired upgrades. He has changed approaches in about as many ways as you can over the past 3 years without going overboard and throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

What you really want is magical instant fixes.  You won't find those from this program from any coach, especially ones that inherited that Riley locker room. Hell, I'd bet not even Riley wanted to come back to try to make that thing functional. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I was responding a post stating that he didn't really offer any "plan" to getting things fixed.  I'm in agreement.  I never hear any real "plan", nor any real "discipline" or consequence [unless you want to say "you don't get to hike the ball for a half now"].  I have my own view and what I have done as a coach to fix problems ... so, I'm not critical of Scott or the coaching teams "plan" ... I still don't know what it is.  The "plan" is the "motto/mantra".  

I fully believe he will continue on the same path for the next three years.  I'm still hopeful that basic blocking, sound tackling, disciplined football, and competent fundamental football will blossom ... but I see no plan for that to occur and I see no corrections that ensure that to occur ... so I can't really even be critical of the "plan".

I am a frustrated fan ... as the key mistakes that lose the winnable games are all "fixable" according to Scott ... but he doesn't fix them.  It would be different if he said they were not fixable ... but he says they are ... so, I'm waiting [and I feel I'm being critical of that lack of fulfillment of his word].

Pass

I had posted an article a while back from a former Husker that had been on Saban's staff.  It was the basics of the success.  It was a very high level of expectations and that every person has a specific task and job, accountability and all the tools to succeed.  Really simple in the grand scheme of things, but things that seem to allude Frost. 

Like his quote about having to work with AM----Year 4 to give him the tools to succeed.  Penalties and continuing to play......High snaps.....Year 4 and still no WR depth, RB depth etc....The basics....TO's, penalties.....Just a lot of concerns moving forward and maybe even less answers.

48 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Pass

So you want Frost to say something that no coach has ever said or would ever say?  Mmmmkay.

And you fail to acknowledge the obvious things he has been doing to effect change and to try to fix things?  Double Mmmmkay.

• Plus1 5
23 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

So you want Frost to say something that no coach has ever said or would ever say?  Mmmmkay.

And you fail to acknowledge the obvious things he has been doing to effect change and to try to fix things?  Double Mmmmkay.

List off these obvious things if you wouldn't mind. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

List off these obvious things if you wouldn't mind. 

Depends. Are you going to qualify everything based on if it’s been successful thus far?

On second thought, I’m not going to waste my time listing things anyone should be able to see. And I’m not saying he has addressed everything that needs it. But if a person’s narrative is he isn’t trying and isn’t making any changes, I don’t know what to tell you.

17 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

so if we just start winning suddenly, you'll stop questioning things right?  Until then, you're going to pick apart everything with supposition and guesswork based on a few soundbytes from the coaches?

This goes for everyone here...everyone seems to think that the coaches suck, they can't develop talent, and they can't fix anything.

I think people are creating a narrative of negativity and piling on.

What I would say is, if we started winning suddenly, I wouldn't know what one would point to.  Personally, I don't think our coaches suck, nor would I ever purpose to use those words.  If anything though, Scott has seemed to make the most blunders.  The surprise is to see the small details missed at key points/games/situations.  If it isn't a key turnover, penalty or missed assignment it is something he missed.

I can understand if you think folks are creating a "narrative of negativity" ... I can see you linking me into that ... that's okay.  I'm simply expressing the BS of the "coach speak" ... but the reality that he is still gonna get at least 2-3 more years ... so we are gonna see if he "fixes" what he says he will fix.  

At this point, a lot of the board had some pretty positive records for even the first few seasons ... and I was the pessimist thinking just to get to 500 would be a great improvement.  So, for me, I'd be tickled to win half our games next year.  I just don't know what all the folks who thought we would only lose 2-4 games are thinking now. For me, next season isn't the "turning of the corner", but actually is the next.  It is tough to gage because of the core "basics" that still aren't fundamental in the program ... and that boggles my mind. 

In my limited coaching in tennis, I got my players to play smart or skilled with the phrase, "solid play wins the day".  Was able to get very average players winning in the district title games by being and playing smart.  In successive years, those average players developed in their skill and beat many more talented players/teams which always baffled the opponents.

A few things I did that made my players play smart ...

-  A double fault was 25 push-ups on the spot in practice.  A drill during practice was 20 serves in a row.  A missed serve was 25 push-ups, then a restart until you did 20 consecutively.  A double fault in a real match was a mile run [per incident] at a 10:00 pace before next practice.  My own son had to run 18 miles his first year after one match.

- You could not hit to the players forehand side until the third ball to the backhand [the why is because that is the weakest shot for most players].  I was always getting my players playing to the opponents weakness.

- In practice, all returns had to hit within 3' of back line [tape marks were put down]. A miss was a run around the court.  If the player was not back into the cycle by the time the next 8 players cycled through then the team would all stop and do 25 push-ups.  This created great movement and pressure both to the #1 and #4 players and created encouragement and leadership top to bottom.

My favorite example of growth was my own son Brandon who went to state in doubles four years straight.  It was always a hoot to hear how many other coaches and players said he was terrible [he really didn't have a serve and was more of a "pusher"] ... but he was solid and played smart until the other team made the error.  He had a lob shot that he could execute to perfection and hit 90% of his balls to the opponents backhand.  On his end, I developed his own backhand to be his stronger shot so when a good opponent was trained to hit to his backhand it worked to Brandon's advantage.

Let me relate this to football ... in the words of the board, "Iowa Sucks" ... however, we can't beat them.  Why?  We don't know how to embrace "solid play wins the day".  We believe talent can win and lack the intangibles.  Thus, why an Whisky, Iowa and NW out-develop is and a team like Whisky continues to gain in the better ranked player from say, 10 or 5 years ago.

All the best to you.  Still hopeful here.

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Depends. Are you going to qualify everything based on if it’s been successful thus far?

On second thought, I’m not going to waste my time listing things anyone should be able to see. And I’m not saying he has addressed everything that needs it. But if a person’s narrative is he isn’t trying and isn’t making any changes, I don’t know what to tell you.

I'm not saying he isn't trying, of course he is.  I'm also not calling you out beyond thinking its interesting you called someone else out for not giving credit for changes but refuse to discuss the changes yourself.  I simply thought it would be interesting to hear what someone else thinks is obvious as I know we don't all have the same view.  I also learned in my career that you can't assume something about how someone else views a situation ever,  you've got to say it out loud to both be sure. 

Obvious changes to me:

OLB coach swap

OC swap

Benching Martinez

Unbenching Martinez

Apparent modification of the offense for the defense and/or offensive talent across the board

Hiring a ST Analyst (sigh)

17 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I'm not saying he isn't trying, of course he is.  I'm also not calling you out beyond thinking its interesting you called someone else out for not giving credit for changes but refuse to discuss the changes yourself.  I simply thought it would be interesting to hear what someone else thinks is obvious as I know we don't all have the same view.  I also learned in my career that you can't assume something about how someone else views a situation ever,  you've got to say it out loud to both be sure. 

Obvious changes to me:

OLB coach swap

OC swap

Benching Martinez

Unbenching Martinez

Apparent modification of the offense for the defense and/or offensive talent across the board

Hiring a ST Analyst (sigh)

Looks like we’re seeing the same things. I would add dumping a couple “buddies” he originally brought with.

Sorry, I just get tired of people confusing not making any changes with those changes not actually yielding results. (Not saying this is you) but that attitude did precipitate my initial comment.

Im not happy with how things have gone and I have a lot more doubts now than I did 1 or 2 or 3 years ago. But I don’t think a 3rd year effed up with Covid is a particularly good time to draw too many conclusions. I do think the results have to show this coming season though. I’m probably in a little different boat than most. I no longer have any desire to see this program through yet another coaching change whether or not it is needed. I’m convinced that if a guy like Frost can’t get it done then it likely won’t happen. The result of way too many years of being let down time and time again.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Looks like we’re seeing the same things. I would add dumping a couple “buddies” he originally brought with.

Sorry, I just get tired of people confusing not making any changes with those changes not actually yielding results. (Not saying this is you) but that attitude did precipitate my initial comment.

Im not happy with how things have gone and I have a lot more doubts now than I did 1 or 2 or 3 years ago. But I don’t think a 3rd year effed up with Covid is a particularly good time to draw too many conclusions. I do think the results have to show this coming season though. I’m probably in a little different boat than most. I no longer have any desire to see this program through yet another coaching change whether or not it is needed. I’m convinced that if a guy like Frost can’t get it done then it likely won’t happen. The result of way too many years of being let down time and time again.

I feel the same about it never happening again if Frost doesn't get it rolling soon. Who would we even hire next? He will get 5+ years for sure, and longer if Moos isn't canned or retires.  I honestly expected recruiting to fall off with another losing season in 2020 but the whole year was a pass in general.  I think it definitely will without progress in 21 as you say.  Make or break year for the program, even if Frost will continue on regardless.

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

so if we just start winning suddenly, you'll stop questioning things right?  Until then, you're going to pick apart everything with supposition and guesswork based on a few soundbytes from the coaches?

This goes for everyone here...everyone seems to think that the coaches suck, they can't develop talent, and they can't fix anything.

I think people are creating a narrative of negativity and piling on.

Lotta people who were the loudest critics about dumb/meaningless stuff from our coaches are going to be the loudest cheerleaders if/when this thing turns around. 

• Plus1 3
11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

But I don’t think a 3rd year effed up with Covid is a particularly good time to draw too many conclusions.

Not to take away anyone's trophies or anything, but I still mostly think of the 2020 season in general as a series of exhibition games - don't read too much into it.

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, Toe said:

Not to take away anyone's trophies or anything, but I still mostly think of the 2020 season in general as a series of exhibition games - don't read too much into it.

Maybe I assumed incorrectly, but I got the impression we were kind of ahead of the curve in terms of keeping guys on campus and proceeding with season prep. Everyone had to deal with the extenuating circumstances.

Minnesota had a bunch of players missing for their game and still beat us.

I agree though that COVID had a negative impact on the season, but on the other side of that coin it affected every team in the B1G.

• Plus1 1
  • jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic