Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

10 hours ago, lo country said:

Out of curiosity, whose job would it be to say to Frost/Duval that AM looks too slow/slower. Not moving like AM 1.0..

Probably nobody. I think that is just part of Frost/Duval's job to make sure that they don't put themselves in a position that somebody would feel like saying that. 

19 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I'm sure the idea was for him to bulk up to withstand hits better after his freshman season. 

Most likely. I would be happy to see him slide/get down or just get out of bounds to limit the hits he takes. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, GSG said:

Most likely. I would be happy to see him slide/get down or just get out of bounds to limit the hits he takes. 

Agreed. And as much as a Husker fan loves to see a QB diving/stretching for extra yards with contact, he just can't fumble the ball like he did in that Rutgers game.

Way better to just go down and live to see another down or another possession instead of coughing up a turnover.

I'm in the camp that believes Martinez doesn't have nearly as many weaknesses as a lot of fans think he does heading into year 4 - except for the fumbles. Just turn that around and he's a good QB.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I'm in the camp that believes Martinez doesn't have nearly as many weaknesses as a lot of fans think he does heading into year 4 - except for the fumbles. Just turn that around and he's a good QB.

I agree.  Especially if they can improve the talent around him.  If we can have a good RB and WRs who run good (correct) routes and catch the ball, this would eliminate some of the QB runs and he would hopefully be able to stay healthier throughout the year.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  Especially if they can improve the talent around him.  If we can have a good RB and WRs who run good (correct) routes and catch the ball, this would eliminate some of the QB runs and he would hopefully be able to stay healthier throughout the year.

Don't forget a line that will give the WR time to run those routes & the QB time to throw.  Also a center that get the ball to the QB

34 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Not sure I agree with that.  It was the Husker way.  I see QBs and receivers trying to avoid big hits by going down or running out of bounds quite often since Frost got here.

I would have to strongly disagree about QBs. Martinez almost never avoids contact and 90% of the time dives head first for yardage. 

WRs is a different story. Pretty often I wish they would fight for extra yards on the sidelines. But they take a beating over the middle.

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

WRs is a different story. Pretty often I wish they would fight for extra yards on the sidelines. But they take a beating over the middle.

This is a pretty common thing in all of football.  It's a risk reward thing.  Do you take another hit on your body just for a couple more yards?  My bigger issue is sometimes it seems like if they cut back inside they could possibly avoid that defender and pick up more yards and still not take a big hit.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a pretty common thing in all of football.  It's a risk reward thing.  Do you take another hit on your body just for a couple more yards?  My bigger issue is sometimes it seems like if they cut back inside they could possibly avoid that defender and pick up more yards and still not take a big hit.

Agree. Some guys like JD and Wan'Dale would cut it up, but SMJ was probably the last guy I really remember consistently fighting on the sidelines.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Last weekend, I was looking through a Sports Illustrated from last fall that was still on my desk.  There was an article about Josh Allen in there.  I was going to post the one portion but didn't get to it.  It basically said he was tough to evaluate at Wyoming because of the lack of talent around him.  Now you can see what he can do.  Definitely made me think of Martinez.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 2
  • jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic