Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

22 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'd go out on a limb and say that Adrian has better pure arm talent than anyone in that list. 

I agree.  Having said that, the time is quickly approaching where he needs to demonstrate that talent in game action.  Major college football and the NFL are not 7 on 7 passing academies.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Trevor Lawrence basically led the nation in screen passes.  He completed 69% of his passes.  

That's how football works now-a-days.  

But he also threw down field a ton. Not to mention they had the personnel to run the screen plays and have them work. Clemson also made you defend the entire field. The screen works a lot better when the defense is worried about down field passes, a running game.

I don't have any problems with short passes when they work. My gripe with last year was throwing 30 of them a game and like 2 of them work. 

30 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

But yeah, I'd pump the breaks on the NFL talk for now

Nobody is saying he's ready for the NFL right now and he would have gotten drafted this year if he was in the draft.  They are saying that if he has a year like some think he can have, then he could get drafted.  

I agree.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

So he needs to drop his percentage down from the 71% he completed last year?

And I'm all for fewer INTs but he only threw three last year so it's not like that's a huge issue.  Johnny Manziel won a Heisman Trophy, was a first-round draft pick and was an NFL starter.  For his career at Texas A&M he threw one INT every 39 passes.  Martinez is currently at one INT every 37.

Apples to Oranges comparison to Manziel. Martinez was 82nd in Adjusted Yards per Attempt in the NCAA. At that he completed 70% of his passes and his Adjusted Yards per Attempt was still so low. He is an outlier on the stat sheet - King of the Dink and Dunk. Manizel his Heisman season was top 15 in Adjusted Yards per Attempt - right at where Justin Fields was at this past season. Easy to not throw picks when you're not throwing the ball down field. 

This is an unfair stat to AM, as it's not all on him. Scheme, OL, WR contribute. I'd be completely cool if his % went down to 65 and his AY/A went up to 9. That means Betts, Toure, Manning, Martin are making plays at the 2nd level and this offense is straight HUMMIN. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

But he also threw down field a ton. Not to mention they had the personnel to run the screen plays and have them work. Clemson also made you defend the entire field. The screen works a lot better when the defense is worried about down field passes, a running game.

I don't have any problems with short passes when they work. My gripe with last year was throwing 30 of them a game and like 2 of them work. 

Eh, you like to act like you know a lot of things when they're really just your opinion or what fits your narrative.

Trevor Lawrence in 2020 threw the ball 20+ yards downfield 51 times out of 340 total attempts.  That is 15.0%.  He threw behind the LOS 86 times for 25.3%.

Adrian Martinez in 2020 threw the ball 20+ yards downfield 18 times out of 153 total attempts.  That is 13.1%.  He threw behind the LOS 39 times for 27.5%.

At Lawrence's passes per game, that's basically once every two games Nebraska traded a deep shot for a screen.  I'm pretty sure that doesn't qualify as "a ton" more.

So Lawrence threw down the field more only because they threw it a lot more (and played more games).  As far as what they were asked to do in their offense, they were basically doing the same things at the same rate.  

Also, Martinez threw behind the LOS 39 times on the year, not 30 per game.  And we averaged 5.4 ypa on those plays, which is a pretty decent rate for a fairly safe play.  Had to have more than two of them "work" to be doing that well.

• Plus1 5

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I'd go out on a limb and say that Adrian has better pure arm talent than anyone in that list. 

Maybe.  But Turner Gill would give him a run for his money.  Gill had a great arm.  But we didn't run the right offense back then to use it much.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

By the way, Martinez last year was actually had noticeably better completion percentage than Lawrence on passes 10-19 yards downfield.  

Martinez completed 66.7% of those passes.

Lawrence completed 57.3% of those passes.

The fact that their ypa was pretty close - 11.7 for Martinez, 11.3 for Lawrence - mostly says that Lawrence had much better guys to throw to who could make plays after the catch.  Which is the biggest factor in Nebraska's lack of a downfield passing game.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

By the way, Martinez last year was actually had noticeably better completion percentage than Lawrence on passes 10-19 yards downfield.  

The fact that their ypa was pretty close - 11.7 for Martinez, 11.3 for Lawrence - mostly says that Lawrence had much better guys to throw to who could make plays after the catch.  Which is the biggest factor in Nebraska's lack of a downfield passing game.

Out of curiosity where do these stats come from? PFF?

17 hours ago, TheBugeater said:

Green jersey AM hype is funny.

1. 0% chance he ever plays in the NFL.

2. He’s not a 4.4 guy. There have been 7 college quarterbacks in the past 30 yrs that have ever been timed under 4.5.

Bottom-line. Don’t care about the yards or the completion percentage. AM is 1-13 vs Wiscy, Iowa, NW, OSU, Mich, Col. In 29 career starts, he has beaten 1 team with a winning record.

He is who he is. He’s a great kid, and he might be a little better this coming year, but he’s not gonna win ya a lot of big games. 

How is this for hype?

Not only is he easily a 4.4 guy. After a few months of speed training for the NFL, he will run a 4.37. He's in the top 3-5 in pure speed on the team. 

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

For 3 years now under Frost, opposing defenses just need to over load the box.  We need to have some way to force D's out of that box.  Even if it's sending receiver X down field and throwing long.  Maybe statistics show something different, but it truly seemed like we couldn't throw a screen pass to save our lives.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

So your saying Lawrence is lucky Luke McCaffrey wasn’t playing for Clemson because he would have got benched for Luke? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic