Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

8 hours ago, Toe said:

Did Crouch ever have his ankle stepped on by his center?

Injuries are injuries, they happen a variety of ways. It doesn't matter. QBs get stepped on all the time,  pulling guards, running backs, defenders etc

Some guys have even had their heads nearly pulled off due to a facemask grab at Kansas State. Im not sure Adrian has had that happen to him just yet  :cheers

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I'm sure Crouch's playing weight was significantly higher than his weight as a meager old civilian the last 15+ years, for whatever that's worth.

It's also worth noting he's mostly the consensus worst Heisman winner in modern history, but nonetheless, he was a warrior and a rare talent. I'd say TM or AM would transition better into Crouch's offense than he would be able to transition into theirs, though.

His height hasn't changed and a frame is a frame and his is on the small side of modest. No way he was playing at 205. When I coached and we did weigh ins- My guess was always within 2-5 lbs- could have won contests as a weight guesser at the carnivals LOL> 

His roommates Uncle worked for me- he would take the boys out on Sundays and Eric would be all bruised and battered, wrapped up in a big coat in the back of my guys car. He said by seasons end Crouch wasn't more than 180- 185 lbs if that. Kid was a warrior, great speed straight line speed, outstanding lateral speed, very good decision making on the option, excellent field vision,  tough enough to run through people, protected the ball well and durable. 

Eric won the Heisman partly because it was a very weak field that year and sure the "Frazier" factor a bit too possibly. 

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Even with the worst start in Nebraska football history in 2018, I thought Adrian Martinez was about to become the best quarterback we've ever had: a legitimate passer who could run exactly as needed.

I did too. I remember saying that I thought he had as much raw talent as any true freshman QB in Nebraska history. Still do.

A couple other things stick out:

-Hindsight shows just how much of a good supporting cast a couple of those linemen were (Foster, Farmer) and then also Ozigbo, Morgan, & Spielman. Anybody remember some of the posts of people saying Morgan wasn't that good and that Spielman wouldn't be missed?

-Seeing what Frost did with those offensive players with just one offseason's worth of preparation really makes Riley's/Langsdorf's offensive efforts with those same players look like hammered dog crap.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Injuries are injuries, they happen a variety of ways. It doesn't matter. QBs get stepped on all the time,  pulling guards, running backs, defenders etc

Some guys have even had their heads nearly pulled off due to a facemask grab at Kansas State. Im not sure Adrian has had that happen to him just yet  :cheers

The big question is..Did Crouch like playing against road games.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, skers83 said:

The big question is..Did Crouch like playing against road games.

TM Great athlete- great heart. I knew one of the QC guys pretty well. He said Taylor guessed on the zone read and interestingly enough was correct less than half the time. He said Taylor was a  " very odd duck" I asked him what he meant by that and he either wasn't able to quantify it or chose not to. 

Bottom line for me about AM is that I can't see much at all in him that says, "Husker Football."  Thinking back to the best we've had over time.. he's not a Crouch, not a Frazier, not an Armstrong, not a Frost, not a Gill, a Lord, etc. 

Jeesh, I doubt if SF sees him as the answer to our O issues, but all we've got for now, new recruits notwithstanding.  

Did you read Sipple's article in today's paper about toughness?  Adrian ain't that.  When I see a picture of him that guy who sang for The Fine Young Cannibals comes to mind. 

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, hagg said:

Bottom line for me about AM is that I can't see much at all in him that says, "Husker Football."  Thinking back to the best we've had over time.. he's not a Crouch, not a Frazier, not an Armstrong, not a Frost, not a Gill, a Lord, etc. 

Jeesh, I doubt if SF sees him as the answer to our O issues, but all we've got for now, new recruits notwithstanding.  

Did you read Sipple's article in today's paper about toughness?  Adrian ain't that.  When I see a picture of him that guy who sang for The Fine Young Cannibals comes to mind. 

Accuracy and decision make are fair criticisms. No idea where you're getting lack of toughness from - based on what he looks like? He's a considerably better QB than Lord, and arguably better than Armstrong. He has not been good enough, but I've seen no reason to question his toughness, ability, or desire. 

• Plus1 3

desire? didn't SF say he slacked off once he won the starting job?

his decision making seems the most suspect of his skills?

hopefully he has gotten better, maybe he needs to watch more film?

SF and Mario have spent 3 years on getting him on track. still a turnover machine.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

desire? didn't SF say he slacked off once he won the starting job?

his decision making seems the most suspect of his skills?

hopefully he has gotten better, maybe he needs to watch more film?

SF and Mario have spent 3 years on getting him on track. still a turnover machine.

He hasn't been a turnover machine and I think the turnovers he has had need to be in context.  A good percentage of them, in my opinion, were created because we were behind and he was desperately trying to make something happen.  The supporting cast has to take a chunk of the blame.

Here are some interception per attempts to compare to-

Eric Crouch  606 attempts - 25 interceptions  (1 in every 24 passes)

Taylor Martinez 962 attempts - 29 interceptions (1 in every 33 passes)

Tommy Armstrong 1172 attempts - 44 interceptions (1 in every 27 passes)

Adrian Martinez 749 attempts - 20 interceptions (1 in every 37 passes)  Last seasons ration was better than 1 in 50 passes.  Another consideration, over half of Adrians snaps played to date have been against top 20 defenses.  The three guys above can't say that.

It is widely known that QB interception ratios drastically decrease when a team is playing catchup.  To me, Adrian's numbers are even more impressive when you take that into consideration.  The kid has had to play from behind quite a bit.    

Adrian was a much improved QB last year but many Husker fans don't give him the credit for the year he had because the team as a whole wasn't great.  Sure he had a couple plays that made you shake your head.  Most competitors would have with that supporting cast trying to make things happen.  

I really hope the offense clicks this year and we all get to see what he is really capable of.  I think it could be pretty dang good.    

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Accuracy and decision make are fair criticisms. No idea where you're getting lack of toughness from - based on what he looks like? He's a considerably better QB than Lord, and arguably better than Armstrong. He has not been good enough, but I've seen no reason to question his toughness, ability, or desire. 

I'd like to see more dog in him. During games he always looks defeated and down on himself - seems like he's really hard on himself. I'd like to see him get on his line for missed blocks and WRs for dropped balls. Have fun with it. 

11 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I'm sure Crouch's playing weight was significantly higher than his weight as a meager old civilian the last 15+ years, for whatever that's worth.

It's also worth noting he's mostly the consensus worst Heisman winner in modern history, but nonetheless, he was a warrior and a rare talent. I'd say TM or AM would transition better into Crouch's offense than he would be able to transition into theirs, though.

We live in a society where Jason White won a Heisman somehow over Larry Fitzgerald.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

He hasn't been a turnover machine and I think the turnovers he has had need to be in context.  A good percentage of them, in my opinion, were created because we were behind and he was desperately trying to make something happen.  The supporting cast has to take a chunk of the blame.

Here are some interception per attempts to compare to-

Eric Crouch  606 attempts - 25 interceptions  (1 in every 24 passes)

Taylor Martinez 962 attempts - 29 interceptions (1 in every 33 passes)

Tommy Armstrong 1172 attempts - 44 interceptions (1 in every 27 passes)

Adrian Martinez 749 attempts - 20 interceptions (1 in every 37 passes)  Last seasons ration was better than 1 in 50 passes.  Another consideration, over half of Adrians snaps played to date have been against top 20 defenses.  The three guys above can't say that.

It is widely known that QB interception ratios drastically decrease when a team is playing catchup.  To me, Adrian's numbers are even more impressive when you take that into consideration.  The kid has had to play from behind quite a bit.    

Adrian was a much improved QB last year but many Husker fans don't give him the credit for the year he had because the team as a whole wasn't great.  Sure he had a couple plays that made you shake your head.  Most competitors would have with that supporting cast trying to make things happen.  

I really hope the offense clicks this year and we all get to see what he is really capable of.  I think it could be pretty dang good.    

I'm definitely in the pro-Adrian camp, but interceptions aren't the only way to turn the ball over. He fumbles a lot - I suspect the others did as well, but the fumbling has hurt us a lot. And sometimes it's just a good play by the defender, or a a free hit given up like the end of the Iowa game, but for the most part when it comes down to it fumbles are an individual issue.

I'm optimistic for this year, but turnovers are a big concern. After NW he didn't throw a pick until Rutgers, but the 2 in that game were pretty terrible and the fumbles were a constant. 

• Thanks 2
  • jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic