Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

Man I wish I was in a place where I could crap on a kid playing for my favorite football team and none the less question his desire, toughness and etc. I think he's going to prove people wrong this year. 

And the thing is, couldn't we say he already proved those things in year one? He was a machine.

Put that same supporting cast in there from year one along with an even slightly better offensive line in front of him, combined with the significant defensive improvements Chinander has brought in and we go 9-3*.

*If special teams improve

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That "patient" offense scored 34.5 points per game.

I'll never understand why so many Husker fans try to down play Crouch's accomplishments.

I'll never understand why so many Husker fans don't understand that Nebraska's old school ball control offense was made possible by a ball control defense.  How many games in the glory years did we see the Nebraska offense slowly wear the defense down before running away with the game? Pretty different story when the defense immediately gives those scores back, or puts the offense in a hole. As someone just pointed out, the offensive numbers get skewed and pass happy when the team has to play from behind. 

That Eric Crouch was one of the weaker Heisman winners in history is common lore, but he was a great Husker QB without doubt. 

The question as I understand it is imagining yourself as Frank Solich, or even Tom Osborne, and your looking at a stable of Tommy Armstrong, Adrian Martinez, Taylor Martinez, and Eric Crouch to run your vintage Nebraska offense backed by a typical Nebraska defense. I think Tom Osborne would be thrilled by the skill level of all four, and I'm not so sure any coach would go with the would-be Heisman winner. 

Crouch and Solich's best team was the 1999 squad that went 12-1, ranked #3, and was one play away from a National Championship. That team led the NCAA in lost fumbles -- by a lot -- and still dominated. That's what a good defense lets you do. 

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah Crouch carried that team offensively because he called his own number a lot and he really was tough as nails. But the Dan Alexander/Correll Buckhalter platoon was hardly a slouch.  Dahhran Diedtrick had a 1,300 yard season with Crouch for gosh sakes. Crouch had some of the best QB runs ever.....until Taylor Martinez came around....who also passed better than Crouch. More to the point, if Eric Crouch (or Tommie Frazier) had a 2011 - 2021 Nebraska defense on the other side of the ball, he doesn't win a Heisman and we're not really talking about Eric Crouch on this thread.

Those old Nebraska offenses could afford to be patient when the defense was allowing 12 points a game. 

Now if Adrian Martinez had Crouch's fearlessness, maybe we'd be on to something.

For the record, I'm not "smoking" anything. I've switched to edibles. 

Let's narrow in on probably the most important part of this thread.  We talking gummies, cookies, chocolate bars?  I've been on the kiva bars lately, hands down most consistent edible I've had the delight of enjoying the past few years.  Always looking for new recommendations tho

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Let's narrow in on probably the most important part of this thread.  We talking gummies, cookies, chocolate bars?  I've been on the kiva bars lately, hands down most consistent edible I've had the delight of enjoying the past few years.  Always looking for new recommendations tho

I'm new to edibles myself, and so far have found them so subtle and slow-release that I often forget I'm stoned.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I just don't get it.  It's like there are some Husker fans that are pissed that he even won it.  

Pissed? That's a little strong. I think Nebraska fans are pretty football savvy, and simply recognize that Crouch won a split vote in a weak field -- at the same time the Huskers were handed a National Championship game they didn't deserve --  and that the national grumbling over it wasn't unjustified. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Pissed? That's a little strong. I think Nebraska fans are pretty football savvy, and simply recognize that Crouch won a split vote in a weak field -- at the same time the Huskers were handed a National Championship game they didn't deserve --  and that the national grumbling over it wasn't unjustified. 

I said it's "like they are".  It constantly gets brought up like they are ashamed of it or something.  The kid won the Heisman.  I really don't care about the rest.  He was an absolute stud and if he wasn't he wouldn't have even been in the top 3-4 to get invited to NY.  

So, do Husker fans wish he wasn't even good enough to get invited to NY?

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Yea, while it's nice to see Nebraska players do well after college it doesn't really do much for me.

I think it helps in terms of recruiting, but I'm not sure on exactly how big of an impact.

If I'm an OL and I see the type of impact Notre Dame, Iowa or Wisconsin players are making in the NFL, I'm taking that into consideration.

1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

I mean this is a solid list tbh

image.png.26e9303b73baad2b7bab0ae42b989196.png

watched Rex Grossman play in the state championship his senior year.  Best HS qb i've seen in person.  Watched Antwaan Randle El play in the old oaken bucket against Purdue and got to work out with him  when he were in the NFL.  I would say Antwaan was deserving of a Heisman.  He just played on a s#!tty team.  Rex was a SO and they weren't handing it out to the young guys back then.  Of course Freeney and Peppers were playing on the wrong side of the ball.    

2 minutes ago, YetiJR said:

I think it helps in terms of recruiting, but I'm not sure on exactly how big of an impact.

If I'm an OL and I see the type of impact Notre Dame, Iowa or Wisconsin players are making in the NFL, I'm taking that into consideration.

Back when only a handful of games were televised, it was definitely a recruiting advantage that Nebraska played on national television a couple times a year, attracted NFL scouts, and offered a pipeline to a pro career. 

Sometimes I think we made a mistake firing Solich. Sometimes I think 2002 is right around when the whole college landscape was changing and Nebraska was losing its built-in advantage regardless. 

• jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic