Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

3 hours ago, Farms said:

Count me in the camp as being really excited for Adrian this year. I think he finally has confidence in his teammates and in himself. I understand Frost was trying to create competition by splitting reps with McCaffery last year but ultimately I think it hurt Adrians confidence and he played not to make mistakes. Ultimately I think him knowing he’s the man will be good for him and the rest of the offense. Also hopefully he will feel more comfortable playing at a more natural weight for him. I look forward to him breaking some big runs this year! Now pass that kool-aid!

His time here thus far has suggested the opposite of what you're saying, as far as I can tell.

His true freshman year when he was locked in a battle with Gebbia, he played great. His sophomore year when he was the guy and had no competition he regressed significantly. His junior season he started off okay, but performed better later in the season after being benched and needing to retake the starting job.

16 hours ago, hunter49 said:

they need to limit him to 6-8 rushes per game , too many hits will knock him out of his passing rhythm.

we need to use him like he is the only QB we have, because in fact, that's true.

I'm not sure why so many people accept this concept..   We have the #4 dual threat QB in the nation from 2019 on our roster.  He wasn't ready last year understandably but after a full year of fairly normal football activities, he should be ready to go.  My guess is he is completely capable of being a great QB if he is needed for whatever reason.    

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
20 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I'm not sure why so many people accept this concept..   We have the #4 dual threat QB in the nation from 2019 on our roster.  He wasn't ready last year understandably but after a full year of fairly normal football activities, he should be ready to go.  My guess is he is completely capable of being a great QB if he is needed for whatever reason.    

Not sure why someone thought this comment was funny.  Fact is, we have more QB depth right now than we have had in a long time.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

Rewatching our games, a lot of people's complaints about Adrian are issues that oftentimes stem from the line or receivers. That's not to say he never misses a receiver or read or doesn't do boneheaded stuff every so often, but our pass pro was horrendous at times last year and we had no one getting separation beside Wandale. Overall Adrian is vastly a plus for our offense far more often than he's a negative and if we all expect some improvements in pass pro and at receiver, I think he is primed for a big year.

I'm fully aware that the "Pass was complete/incomplete so the QB must be good/bad" crowd will not care about this but FWIW I think he's about to go off.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Again though...

What I'm looking at way more than anything else is this season is whether or not our special teams improve significantly. We will probably never have a winning season in the B1G if it's as bad as it was the past two seasons. It runs the gamut from shanked punts, kickoff returners that take it out when they should have clearly taken the touchback, and a kickoff coverage unit that routinely lets the other team return it out to their own 35-40 yard line.

Then I'm also looking at whether guys like Morrison or Ervin can boost our base rushing game.

All of this discussion is classic offseason stuff. Can Martinez be better? Yes. But - and certainly no offense intended with this comment and not directed at anyone in particular - I think maybe people just aren't seeing things clearly if they think Martinez is the biggest problem on the team.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Again though...

I think maybe people just aren't seeing things clearly if they think Martinez is the biggest problem on the team.

Not at all. His play is one of many. First issue is to stop beating ourselves. 

1 STOP turning the ball over so much

2- Special teams- improve all facets- its embarrassingly bad

3- untimely penalties

4- better 3rd down conversion rates on offense

5- better red zone scoring

This all goes to discipline and culture. OUr competitors do the above 3 EXTRORDINARILY well- with less talented athletes. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Not at all. His play is one of many. First issue is to stop beating ourselves. 

1 STOP turning the ball over so much

2- Special teams- improve all facets- its embarrassingly bad

3- untimely penalties

4- better 3rd down conversion rates on offense

5- better red zone scoring

This all goes to discipline and culture. OUr competitors do the above 3 EXTRORDINARILY well- with less talented athletes. 

Our tactical problems perfectly summarized.  I can add two more:

6- Educate Center on the importance of snapping.  Jump snaps need to disappear this season.

7- QB needs to lose the sleeves during cold weather games.  See Rutgers game and point one as supporting   evidence.

• jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic
On 8/3/2021 at 12:39 PM, J-MAGIC said:

Rewatching our games, a lot of people's complaints about Adrian are issues that oftentimes stem from the line or receivers. That's not to say he never misses a receiver or read or doesn't do boneheaded stuff every so often, but our pass pro was horrendous at times last year and we had no one getting separation beside Wandale. Overall Adrian is vastly a plus for our offense far more often than he's a negative and if we all expect some improvements in pass pro and at receiver, I think he is primed for a big year.

I'm fully aware that the "Pass was complete/incomplete so the QB must be good/bad" crowd will not care about this but FWIW I think he's about to go off.

A lot of this is true, but anyone who doesn’t recognize that Adrian has a turnover problem is simply turning a blind eye. 

I’m not talking throwing picks here, which happen to every non-Justin fields player, but just careless fumbles. 

Quick check on 2020 stats: A.Mart top 10 with most of those teams playing more games than Nebraska. For his career he averages 1 fumble per game. 

The offense has been good enough to win more games. Same with the defense. If we can somehow not be one of the worst FBS football programs in turnover margin, we will win more games. That starts and generally ends with #2. 

• Thanks 3

I think it's a 95% mental game with Adrian. The reason I expect a breakout season from him is because he has no other choice. He needs to play like the only quarterback at Nebraska, and he needs to use his dual threat capabilities fearlessly.  I actually think ball security is teachable technique and he can practice it without questioning his instincts.

The last couple years have not gone well and the coach even replaced him last year. 2021 is found money for both Martinez and Frost. They weren't wrong with their offensive approach in 2018, but they need to fine tune, double-down, and go for broke, hopefully with improved personnel, including a defense that doesn't throw off the game plan by making the offense play from behind. 

• Plus1 1
On 8/3/2021 at 9:39 AM, J-MAGIC said:

I'm thinking about all the plays last year when Adrian is waiting for receivers to get separation, and a huge chunk of field opens up, and everyone in the stands and watching at home and announcing the game can see 20 yards or more for the taking and starts yelling "run!" but Martinez forces the incomplete pass instead. 

I want to see him get back to the "i'll take whatever you're stupid enough to give me" mode that makes dual threat quarterbacks a threat. That makes the pro-set plays work better, too. Opposing DC have a reason to fear Martinez.