Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

20 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Here’s something late in the game I noticed, that is on just smart thought and lack of coaching. 

there was about 38 seconds left in the game and Martinez had apparently no one to throw to so he ended up just throwing the ball away out of bounds.

Now with no timeouts and only 38 seconds left and seemingly no opened WR to throw to, you’d think throwing it away was the good option, and it was, but it was how he did it that was incorrect.

he throws a lob on his back foot out of bounds. The choice to throw a lob out of bounds cost 3-4 seconds more to tick off the clock.

why not throw a quick pass out of bounds? This may be a small thing, but this was something I noticed that I think you could point directly to coaching. 4 year senior should be able to recognize a lob is going to take crucial time off.

The play calling the TD before and the inability to stop the 1st down from Illinois was the killer.  And yes, Adrian was awful and is poorly coached.

• Thanks 1

The clear problem today was in the pocket.  He got all these guys that want to make plays (WR/TE) and he just wouldn't get rid of it. 

1. WRs want to play football too. 

2. You know the play.  Set your feet and throw it.  Don't wait for them to get open.  Dont overthink it. Trust them more.  Trust the play.  Trust your arm. Trust the decision. Get rid of it.

3. You got good touch on some throws.  Why you putting so much air under every throw? It's not pop warner.  Fire it.  Zip it in there. 

4.  Know the clock.  There was lack of urgency in the 4th quarter when we was down 2 TDs.

5.  Play like you practice.  Don't play so uptight in games. Have fun.  Sling it. Throw some yolo bombs.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

He was sacked 5 times today.  I thought he made better decisions with keeping the ball. He doesn’t make them real quick though.  It sure how to teach a senior QB to think faster. 

that 2nd quarter fumble-what was the play suppose to be? It was 3rd and 2 I think. Did Illinois just stack the box? 

• Plus1 1

54 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

that 2nd quarter fumble-what was the play suppose to be? It was 3rd and 2 I think. Did Illinois just stack the box? 

3rd & 2. We go five receivers wide. Probably should have called a designed Martinez keeper, but it was a designed "sit in the pocket and throw it" play. They only brought four guys against our five down linemen:

• Thanks 2

@Undone thanks.  Those routes were horrible.  Esp for 3rd and 2.  The intended guy who appears to be open underneath is running towards/behind MLB. So not open as it appears. 

If you throw on 3rd and 2, do what everyone else does.  A quick 3 yard pick play to the sideline.

Our pass routes are often jumbled up, and they suck.

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

3rd & 2. We go five receivers wide. Probably should have called a designed Martinez keeper, but it was a designed "sit in the pocket and throw it" play. They only brought four guys against our five down linemen:

3rd and 2 and you don’t have the run game to get it?  It’s going to be a long year

10 hours ago, admo said:

Normally true, and I agree.  I think because there was 0:45 seconds left til halftime that they gambled.  Hurry up mode for points.

Why?...  it was 0:47... get the 2 yards, clock stops for the chains....  even if you clock the ball you have 0:40 is and 2 time outs to "gamble"...  Horrible play calling... 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

If the ceiling with Martinez is 4 to 5 wins, does Nebraska really feel the need to stick with him the whole season?  At what point should Nebraska look at another QB on the roster and try to build towards the future?  Do we really want to start next season with a QB with no starting experience?  Reading the AP article on the Illinois game, you'd think Martinez had an excellent game.  He hit a couple good throws, but he also misfired on two wide open TD throws and misread a lot.  His running game was pretty much one run.  I feel like Frost is going to get another season almost no matter what and I'd like to see what will happen longer than one season with a new QB.  At this point, I think we just need a QB that can hit all the mid range throws more consistently, can scramble occasionally for a first down, and not make killer mistakes.  We don't necessarily need a stud athlete at QB.

• Thanks 2

i am not sure what Mario is doing to make Adrian use good throwing mechanics, must be taking long naps.

there was no night/day difference.  same fumbles, s#!t throws and poor reads.

tell me Frost didn't see this crap in practices??

time to cut his playing time and develop someone for next season.

we are wasting  our time.

• Thanks 1