Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

1 hour ago, The Maudfather said:

Adrian sucks. That's not news to anyone that's watched him play the last 2 seasons. He sucks and it sucks that he sucks because he seems like a pretty good dude. 

He's just not a good QB. At all. Sadly, he's probably gives Nebraska the best chance to win though and that's on Frost. 

there’s nothing to coach.  Coach Mike has an interesting take.

https://footballscoop.com/news/mike-leach-quarterback-isnt-accurate-shouldnt-recruit

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

there’s nothing to coach.  Coach Mike has an interesting take.

https://footballscoop.com/news/mike-leach-quarterback-isnt-accurate-shouldnt-recruit

The whole "let's drastically alter our QBs throwing motions" schtick of Verdu and Frost has ways been a head scratcher for me.  Clearly it not only doesn't improve things but makes them visibly worse. 

• Plus1 1

The absolutist statement that Adrian is garbage, with no caveats or context, is so ridiculous to me and ignores some really incredible performances.

Reality is that he's Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde - bottom of the barrel floor and up in the clouds ceiling. The damning problem is that his floor hasn't been raised, and has in fact probably been lowered some while his ceiling is still there but only rarely hit. 

It's all mental for him, and sadly our staff has failed to help him in that regard and has probably made it worse. When he's playing free and loose he's an all-conference caliber baller, but when he gets nervous he absolutely loses himself. We can probably all relate to that one way or the other (I remember in high school if I had to shoot free throws in a clutch moment I could not feel my arms at all), but it's just such a sucky situation that he hasn't been able to figure that out.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Adrian sucks. That's not news to anyone that's watched him play the last 2 seasons. He sucks and it sucks that he sucks because he seems like a pretty good dude. 

He's just not a good QB. At all. Sadly, he's probably gives Nebraska the best chance to win though and that's on Frost. 

He has all the intangibles that you can't teach though. He's fast, good arm, can throw from all different angles. He just can't get the mental part of throwing guys open and delivering the ball with the right trajectory/finesse. Which is a big problem in this offense.

• Plus1 1

The old double post.

2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

The absolutist statement that Adrian is garbage, with no caveats or context, is so ridiculous to me and ignores some really incredible performances.

Reality is that he's Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde - bottom of the barrel floor and up in the clouds ceiling. The damning problem is that his floor hasn't been raised, and has in fact probably been lowered some while his ceiling is still there but only rarely hit. 

It's all mental for him, and sadly our staff has failed to help him in that regard and has probably made it worse. When he's playing free and loose he's an all-conference caliber baller, but when he gets nervous he absolutely loses himself. We can probably all relate to that one way or the other (I remember in high school if I had to shoot free throws in a clutch moment I could not feel my arms at all), but it's just such a sucky situation that he hasn't been able to figure that out.

Dude is a liability and has been his entire career.  Even his so called “amazing” freshman season was full of red flags.

He’s a turnover machine.  He can’t throw the deep ball.  He’s inconsistent on all his throws.  He throws to receivers after the break.  He holds on to the ball way too long.  He has a tendency to become a back foot chucker when in trouble.  Other than that, he’s impressive.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Dude is a liability and has been his entire career.  Even his so called “amazing” freshman season was full of red flags.

He’s a turnover machine.  He can’t throw the deep ball.  He’s inconsistent on all his throws.  He throws to receivers after the break.  He holds on to the ball way too long.  He has a tendency to become a back foot chucker when in trouble.  Other than that, he’s impressive.

Pretty sure he completed one deep ball yesterday... And had a couple that were just off.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

He has all the intangibles that you can't teach though. He's fast, good arm, can throw from all different angles. He just can't get the mental part of throwing guys open and delivering the ball with the right trajectory/finesse. Which is a big problem in this offense.

But his accuracy on anything other than short throws just isnt there. The Leach article is spot on- read it years ago. Accuracy, you either have it or you dont. STOP trying to convert great athletes with good arms with poor accuracy into QBs- see Haarberg and why I call him a "project" .  Martinez fumbles too much- cost us 7 yesterday. He doesnt throw on rhythm- holds onto the ball too long. When there is green- he wont take it, then when he finally does decide to run, usually the openings have closed. Nothing new- same thing Ive seen and been saying all along. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Losingest Quarterback in a long time

But he completes 70% of his passes and may hold a bunch of records when he leaves here. 

A BACKUP QB from Rutgers came in off the bench and was what 13-15? So a 4 year starter here cant put up those kind of numbers against one of the worst defenses in the BIG??

Only record I care about is Wins and Loses. 

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Agree with this except he does not really have a good arm. It’s adequate at best.  

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

These were the exact arguments people used in favor of Tommy Armstrong when he played lol.

Im not agreeing with it- Im making fun of it. 

When you cant hit wide open guys in the clutch - TD passes- short and medium length with adequate protection I DONT CARE if you can complete 10 swing passes in a row. 

Still he is the best chance we have to win because we keep choosing to recruit the wrong QBs- and then we cant develop them either.