Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

27 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

These were the exact arguments people used in favor of Tommy Armstrong when he played lol.

Tommy Armstrong was a chucker.  He could launch the ball downfield with moderate accuracy and hope that one of the receivers could make a play.  Many of them did.

This skill alone loosened up the defense somewhat.  Tommy was never an elite QB and probably would not have been a starter at many places.

As sad as that is, I’d take him in two seconds over AM.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

AM had his greatest success in his first year. He was performing based upon instincts more than coaching, and he is the type of guy that performs better when in motion. Frost and his staff are trying to make Martinez a pocket passer which is simply not his strength. In doing so, Martinez is overthinking everything and missing open receivers badly. 

In my opinion Frost thought he could make Martinez the next Marcus Mariota and he wants AM to make it at the next level by staying in the pocket more. Unfortunately this approach is negatively affecting AM, Frost and the entire team. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

AM had his greatest success in his first year. He was performing based upon instincts more than coaching, and he is the type of guy that performs better when in motion. Frost and his staff are trying to make Martinez a pocket passer which is simply not his strength. In doing so, Martinez is overthinking everything and missing open receivers badly. 

In my opinion Frost thought he could make Martinez the next Marcus Mariota and he wants AM to make it at the next level by staying in the pocket more. Unfortunately this approach is negatively affecting AM, Frost and the entire team. 

I agree Frost was wanting him to be the next Mariota.  He is turning out to be the next Joe Dailey.

3 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Not the.  

A.  

He is a problem.

He is an issue, but it's far down the list. Anybody who thinks we lost this game because of Adrian is insane.

We lost this game because our coaching staff doesn't belong on the sidelines of a P5 school.

We lost because our staff has yet to develop a offensive scheme that allows for a running back to be successful. 

We lost because Adrian was pressured on 25% of his drop back passes.

We lost because the OLine could not win their run-blocking battles.

We lost because our secondary - the strength and most experienced unit on defense - allowed their backup QB to carve them up like he's a NFL Hall of Famer.

Adrian played poorly, but he's been asked to win games with little help from his teammates and with a coaching staff that is out of their depth even in a puddle.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

He is an issue, but it's far down the list. Anybody who thinks we lost this game because of Adrian is insane.

We lost this game because our coaching staff doesn't belong on the sidelines of a P5 school.

We lost because our staff has yet to develop a offensive scheme that allows for a running back to be successful. 

We lost because Adrian was pressured on 25% of his drop back passes.

We lost because the OLine could not win their run-blocking battles.

We lost because our secondary - the strength and most experienced unit on defense - allowed their backup QB to carve them up like he's a NFL Hall of Famer.

Adrian played poorly, but he's been asked to win games with little help from his teammates and with a coaching staff that is out of their depth even in a puddle.

And our vaunted staff “guessed” at the wrong defensive front Illinois would use (odd or even) and couldn’t adjust........

Adrian might be the worst game manager I've ever seen.

I'm usually not a fan of that phrase because I think it diminishes the role a quarterback has in an offense.... but this is one case where he is being asked to do too much. I don't know if this is coaching, play-calling, or his own knack for improvising, but he has proven that he cannot be relied on to carry the team. Everyone might point to the 75 yard scramble as a rebuttal to this thought, but that wasn't (and isn't) ever enough to overcome the amount of damage done by the mistakes.

You have to take care of the ball, end of story. You especially have to be situationally aware. Like with a minute to go in a half, for example. Not knowing what your down and distance is. I watched that fumble again and it almost looked like he just gave up on the play and stuck the ball out, like "here have this". Just so careless. So much of what he does is careless.

I don't know what the answer is.... playing the "I want the backup in" card is always dangerous, but maybe there comes a time when your inability to take care of the football is too great of a liability.