Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What is he supposed to do?  Well for starters he could find and throw to the open receivers that he had prior to 5-6 seconds elapsing while holding on to the ball looking at the line of scrimmage instead of his receivers:dunno the next thing he could is hit the open receiver in the end zone for 6 points.   Another thing he could do is hit the RB in stride for a TD on a wheel route instead of a short lob the RB has to stop for.  

You don't think the head coach has anything to do with play calling? Those long developing routes require him to stand in the pocket. His head coach continues to put players in positions to fail instead of succeed. 

Look, Adrian is the only threat we have on offense. Brett Bielema said as much after the game. Is that a good thing? No. Adrian is bad. But it tells you how God awful the rest of the offense is.

15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Chin had his way with Brett almost the entire first half.  Defense was not the problem 

Unfortunately football is composed of two halves.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

You don't think the head coach has anything to do with play calling? Those long developing routes require him to stand in the pocket. His head coach continues to put players in positions to fail instead of succeed. 

Look, Adrian is the only threat we have on offense. Brett Bielema said as much after the game. Is that a good thing? No. Adrian is bad. But it tells you how God awful the rest of the offense is.

Unfortunately football is composed of two halves.

I guess Since Adrian couldnt hit medium throws with time and open receivers- the only choice may have been throwing long ones. AM has always struggled to hit anything other than the swing passes with any degree of consistency. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:
19 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You don't think the head coach has anything to do with play calling? Those long developing routes require him to stand in the pocket.

I don’t think you understand what’s happening.  AM isn’t seeing the open receivers and is holding on to the ball too long.  What isn’t happening is AM standing back there and waiting for the route to happen so he can throw the ball.  Those are two different things and you aren’t grasping that concept. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, krc1995 said:

If Adrian hadn’t had that fumble, would the perception of his performance be different? 

No, his missed throws were fricken terrible. Being at the game those receivers he missed looked even more wide open. Same thing as the last 3 years. He's not a good quarterback.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

4 years vs first game of everything being new to everyone involved. 

This is a gigantic problem.

Not following you here.  Are you saying giving up 21 points while the offense is constantly putting the defense in bad field position isn’t good enough to win a ball game?  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t think you understand what’s happening.  AM isn’t seeing the open receivers and is holding on to the ball too long.  What isn’t happening is AM standing back there and waiting for the route to happen so he can throw the ball.  Those are two different things and you aren’t grasping that concept. 

Adrian struggled, but even when he plays well the team loses (as evidenced by the last several years). 

His coach does not call plays that suit his limitations as a passer. He does not call plays - or his offense is so conceptually flawed - which allows a run game to develop. 

I think what you need to grasp is that his coach is failing not just him - but his entire team. The reason Wan'dale transferred is because his coach put him in positions to get injured. Adrian is failing not just because he struggles on certain throws (he does) but that his coach does not recognize it and continues to put him in a position to fail. 

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

And the defense gave up 21 points in total while being on the field for 34 minutes.  Defense wasn’t the problem.  

I don't think Brett Bielema was trying to light up the score board during 8:04 drive. Unlike our coach, Brett understands how to win games and that doesn't always involve running a play every 20 seconds.

• Plus1 1

I disagree with the assessment that Adrian "sucks."

If he hits the one to the left side of the end zone that was just 10" too high and if our special teams weren't pathetic we probably win that game.

Pass protection was also bad for a solid portion of the game as well. The play call by Frost to go empty backfield, five wide on the 3rd & 2 in the second quarter also showed just how bad our pass protection can be; they only rushed four against our five down linemen. Should have given Adrian the space to scramble but didn't and then he fumbled as the pocket collapsed and was trying to lunge forward.

Nobody loves the Monday morning armchair offensive coordinator but with where the clock was at combined with where the score was at, I'm just calling a run play with Stepp on that play. Empty backfield just doesn't work for us.

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

If he hits the one to the left side of the end zone that was just 10" too high and if our special teams weren't pathetic we probably win that game.

Pass protection was also bad for a solid portion of the game also. The play call by Frost to go empty backfield, five wide on the 3rd & 2 in the second quarter also showed just how bad our pass protection can be; they only rushed four against our five down linemen. Should have given Adrian the space to scramble but didn't and then he fumbled as the pocket collapsed and was trying to lunge forward.

Nobody loves the Monday morning armchair offensive coordinator but with where the clock was at combined with where the score was at, I'm just calling a run play with Stepp on that play. Empty backfield just doesn't work for us.

How many times has he missed throws almost exactly like that during his time here?  He is who he is at this point.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

How many times has he missed throws almost exactly like that during his time here?  He is who he is at this point.

I get it.

But I also think it's one of those things where it's one play, but it's the one that sticks out the most. Meanwhile we somehow only managed 160 yards rushing - where 75 of those 160 came from what I think was just a scramble running play from Martinez.

Our offensive execution, run game, and special teams pretty much sucked b**** for four quarters. 

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I get it.

But I also think it's one of those things where it's one play, but it's the one that sticks out the most. Meanwhile we somehow only managed 160 yards rushing - where 75 of those 160 came from what I think was just a scramble running play from Martinez.

Our offensive execution, run game, and special teams pretty much sucked b**** for four quarters. 

I mean I agree, there are plenty of fingers to be pointed at the coaches.  However, I also saw the same mistakes from a 4 year starter that I've seen for 3 years.  Same s#!t, different game.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I know they want that 3rd quarter back.  Shut them out in quarters 1 and 4.   Defense only gave up 7 in the 2nd.  14 in the 3rd sucks and they looked lost.  

They don't perform in any facet of the game, Offense, Defense, ST, when it truly matters.  Adrians cream puff stats last year didn't yield any material value.  Ftost keeps mentioning the team needs to see good things happen.  What would you call beating Penn State last year?  Then how did they follow it up?  

The D on Saturday needed a stop out of halftime.  They folded.  A terrible team with a backup QB marched right down the field on them.  They had time to rest, time to adjust, time to motivate.

The team is awful and reflects the staff.  I feel bad for some of the kids as they do have talent, they're just led and motivated by overmatched coaches riding a terrible QB.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Undone said:

Pass protection was also bad for a solid portion of the game as well. The play call by Frost to go empty backfield, five wide on the 3rd & 2 in the second quarter also showed just how bad our pass protection can be; they only rushed four against our five down linemen. Should have given Adrian the space to scramble but didn't and then he fumbled as the pocket collapsed and was trying to lunge forward.

Go back and watch the game.  If your first sentence is still your AM posture, we can't help you.

Numerous times the pocket held for 3+ seconds; he cannot make quick decisions or consistently accurate throws.

He's very very poor at this level.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1