Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

32 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

The coaching knock is not the call here.  The coaching knock is they will roll with Adrian next week, who is bad, and have not developed him or a successor worthy to take his spot.

That's all coaching.  

This is what is baffling to me, he will sink his job with Martinez. I have no idea what they see in him at this point, but they continue to ride with him and ultimately it may cost everyone their jobs. I get the excitement and positive outlook during Martinez's Freshman year, and even his Sophmore year, but it was clear his Junior year that he is not capable of leading this team to wins. They should have been very active in finding his replacement, either in the portal, frantically coaching a backup up to be ready, or finding some incredible 5 star Freshman to take his place. Instead, for some unknown reason, they've stubbornly stuck with him.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Maybe because they wanted a more mobile Qb?  When he was in Illinois ran more of a pro style shotgun offense.  He wasn't making reads on running plays.  He was just handing off on run plays and making reads on pass plays.  Don't think there were many RPO's when he was in

Vedral ran for 193 yards in the entire season last year for Rutgers

So I highly doubt it. 

The point is teams can take a bottom dwellers backup QB and he can go 12-16 and win the game with them in his first season- while all of our 4 star QBs are firing blanks in year 4 even. Sounds like a coaching issue, glaring example. THis QB wasnt a backup at Bama or even Wisconsin, get it?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4243539/noah-vedral

6 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

This is what is baffling to me, he will sink his job with Martinez. I have no idea what they see in him at this point, but they continue to ride with him and ultimately it may cost everyone their jobs. I get the excitement and positive outlook during Martinez's Freshman year, and even his Sophmore year, but it was clear his Junior year that he is not capable of leading this team to wins. They should have been very active in finding his replacement, either in the portal, frantically coaching a backup up to be ready, or finding some incredible 5 star Freshman to take his place. Instead, for some unknown reason, they've stubbornly stuck with him.

If youve watched the other QBs- they arent any better

Remember Luke last year? He was worse. 

The dealio is our QB guy doesnt assess QB talent well and is very poor at developing it, once on campus. YES we should have went into the portal and tried picking up someone. But HCSF has the memory of QBs scorned in his memory- so its not happening. 

Just now, Nebraska55fan said:

If youve watched the other QBs- they arent any better

Remember Luke last year? He was worse. 

The dealio is our QB guy doesnt assess QB talent well and is very poor at developing it, once on campus. YES we should have went into the portal and tried picking up someone. But HCSF has the memory of QBs scorned in his memory- so its not happening. 

McCaffrey at least had no problem using his legs when he needed to and he had no problem making a decision and just letting the pass be thrown. I get he wasn't accurate and he had plenty of interceptions, but when a play broke down he had no problem in making a decision and just taking off and running with it. Also when there was an open WR he had no problem at least trying to throw to him.

When a play breaks down for Martinez, he hesitates, he has this internal battle on whether or not he should take off and run. The answer is, take off and run because there is absolutely nothing else to do. But that second or two of him hesitating ends up usually resulting in a sack or he just heaves it out of bounds. The guy needs about 20 seconds to make a decision and he wont throw a football unless the defense isn't within 10 yards.

Maybe this is a bad take, but given between Martinez's Senior year or McCaffrey, I am taking McCaffrey. I mean, Martinez is a four year starter Senior, he has absolutely zero excuses at this point to be playing as poorly as he has and seemingly no different then his Freshman year. At least if that was McCaffrey on Saturday that cost us the game we could have the positive hopeful outlook that, "Well he is only a Sophmore." And have that hope that he either develops or he is just a placeholder until someone else is ready. But here we are, with year four of Martinez and there are no more excuses, no more hopeful outlooks. This is what we got and we aren't going to get any better.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Tell me how Frost went from coaching Mariota, to seeing the hidden gem and recruited Justin Herbert, and coached McKenzie Milton, but somehow can't coach up Martinez, and apparently can't develop any backup quarterback. It doesn't make sense. Did Frost just get incredibly lucky with 3 amazing quarterbacks? If so, he should be playing the lottery. I just don't see how Frost comes to Nebraska and suddenly can't coach up a quarterback and can't develop any quarterbacks.

It's strange, because it isn't a staff issue since this staff is mainly the one he had at UCF, he's got some former Oregon coaches who were around during Mariota's days, so i dont know what the problem is.

On paper, it doesn't make any sense.

This isn't really an answer, but it's abundantly clear that their current quarterbacks are incapable of executing this offense at a consistently high enough level. I've seen people with much smarter football minds than me breakdown screenshots and game film of where dozens and dozens of plays have gone wrong in recent years. And a lot of those mistakes have been squarely on the quarterback's shoulders. Missed reads, bad accuracy, poor decision making, turnovers.

And as a coach, I'm sure its so frustrating. It's their job to put players in positions to succeed. When I see Adrian in a position to make a play, there's very little confidence that he's going to do it. Instead he does things like air mail passes he should be hitting as a fourth year starter. I really don't know what more Scott or Mario can do or could've done in those situations and then the problems just snowball from there.

I don't put much stock into their overall lack of P5 coaching experience. Not saying it's completely irrelevant, but I don't think that has much to do with some of their problems.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Pass blocking was there most of the game. Martinez had 4-6 seconds in the pocket to make a decision. He either ended up taking a sack, or over throwing his intended target by 15 yards. 

The WR's have been criticized for 4 years for not being able to get open. It should be clear now that this hasn't been the fault of the WR's getting open, it's Martinez needing 10-15 seconds of a comfortable pocket to make a decision and even then it is uncertain if he can actually make the throw.

Wandale likely left because he was tired of burning his opponents ankles and never getting the ball and then the scrutiny falling on his positional group for not being able to get open. Due to the television broadcast, we rarely see what is happening downfield, but i have a hard time believing no wr is open after 4-6 seconds. 

Trust me, I was at the game, they were open. All the Illinois fans around me kept asking why we didn't bench martinez

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

McCaffrey at least had no problem using his legs when he needed to and he had no problem making a decision and just letting the pass be thrown. I get he wasn't accurate and he had plenty of interceptions, but when a play broke down he had no problem in making a decision and just taking off and running with it. Also when there was an open WR he had no problem at least trying to throw to him.

When a play breaks down for Martinez, he hesitates, he has this internal battle on whether or not he should take off and run. The answer is, take off and run because there is absolutely nothing else to do. But that second or two of him hesitating ends up usually resulting in a sack or he just heaves it out of bounds. The guy needs about 20 seconds to make a decision and he wont throw a football unless the defense isn't within 10 yards.

Maybe this is a bad take, but given between Martinez's Senior year or McCaffrey, I am taking McCaffrey. I mean, Martinez is a four year starter Senior, he has absolutely zero excuses at this point to be playing as poorly as he has and seemingly no different then his Freshman year. At least if that was McCaffrey on Saturday that cost us the game we could have the positive hopeful outlook that, "Well he is only a Sophmore." And have that hope that he either develops or he is just a placeholder until someone else is ready. But here we are, with year four of Martinez and there are no more excuses, no more hopeful outlooks. This is what we got and we aren't going to get any better.

McCaffrey had plenty of upside and had more going on upstairs end of the day though qbs aren't getting better and it's baffling

• Fire 2
26 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Valid take.  McCaffrey was 1 - 1 as a starter last year. He was praised for having a Martinez like game in the win, and criticized for having a Martinez like game in the loss. Frost liked Luke because he ran the offense quicker and more decisively. Maybe the kid cleans up the bonehead plays -- like we expected the four year starter to do. 

You give McCaffrey the green light to run a run-heavy RPO to set up 20-25 high percentage passes a game, maybe we're in a better place. 

By that I mean a slightly better place, of course.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

As an OSU fan, We had a similar issue. We had Steve Bellisari as the qb, who was a 3 year starter, but never got better. Tressells first year he started him until he got a DUI. The last 2 games Krenzel started (Illinois and michigan) and our qb play was much much better. Without the due we would have had to endure billiard, uggggghhhhh I get PTSD thinking about it

3 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

The coaching knock is not the call here.  The coaching knock is they will roll with Adrian next week, who is bad, and have not developed him or a successor worthy to take his spot.

That's all coaching.  

Completely agree. And it probably won't just be next week, they'll continue to roll with him cuz as you said they haven't developed anyone else.:bang

2 hours ago, skers83 said:

Completely agree. And it probably won't just be next week, they'll continue to roll with him cuz as you said they haven't developed anyone else.:bang

If their season continues to be dog water, perhaps they'll go to one of the younger guys. I've seen some programs do that before. If you get to mid-season and have only won a game or two, and QB play continues to be spotty, then you may not have that much to lose anyways. May as well develop the future a bit more.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

First play of the Illinois game last year (press play to start at correct time):

Then NcNuggets proceeds to throw three interceptions.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1