Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

40 minutes ago, Undone said:

Middle of the third quarter our offense started to look exactly like what it should. Obviously there's no excuse for it to take 2.5 quarters to get there.

Quick tidbit: Notice the starting field position? Another kickoff return where we shouldn't have even tried to run it out - just take the touchback and start on the 25. So tired of that. Anyway, press play below to start the drive (and note that a play or two is omitted from this highlight video):

-On 1st down, awesome pass protection and Manning runs a great route, then shows his physicality in yards after catch.

-Ervin is back in and picks up a first down on the ground.

-Awesome pass protection, Toure runs a great route and a perfectly thrown medium length pass by Adrian. Takes us down to their 18...but it's called back due to a pretty dumb play by Martin.

One big thing that sticks out to me from this game is that we just didn't have a decent base running game at all. Even with a 50% completion rate Adrian still threw for 232 and it would have been over 250 if this last play to Toure doesn't get flagged.

Note at the 21:20 mark

Martinez goes back to pass. His primary receiver is covered. His RB is WIDE OPEN- safety valve flaring out of the backfield, easy completion. Martinez holds onto it as usual, then takes off late as usual. We end up with a holding penalty because the Oline shouldn't be required to protect for 6 seconds plus. 

Give the kid a pre snap read a primary rhythm read and an easy secondary read like back out of backfield or a shallow underneath route. 

1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If I'm the special teams coach if that ball doesn't reach the endzone return it.  Can't score if you fair catch everything.  This also depends if you have a guy back there fast enough to take it to the house.  Don't think (insert white walk on RB name here) was the guy to do it.

But then what happens when the blocking is so bad we make it to the 15? That's 10 extra yards needed.

5 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

But then what happens when the blocking is so bad we make it to the 15? That's 10 extra yards needed.

well if I'm the special teams coach that wouldn't happen.  But I'm not so yeah if you can't find 10 guys who can slow guys down enough to get to the 20 you have some major problems.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Nah, I think the problem is that the other 9 guys on the field aren't blocking for the two returners that are back there.

true but he also has to be fast enough to make it past the 1st wave of people.  our guys don't seem to be in a hurry once they get the ball.  If you aren't Devin Hester you better get your a$$ movin as soon as you have it.

11 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Martinez goes back to pass. His primary receiver is covered. His RB is WIDE OPEN- safety valve flaring out of the backfield, easy completion. Martinez holds onto it as usual, then takes off late as usual. We end up with a holding penalty because the Oline shouldn't be required to protect for 6 seconds plus. 

Give the kid a pre snap read a primary rhythm read and an easy secondary read like back out of backfield or a shallow underneath route. 

Sadly--> This is Adrian in 2021... and was Taylor from years ago... same last name.. same issue- holds on and just has to take off running at some point, its still our best play years later...  against Kansas State, against Washington... now against some others.. unless they key in on stopping him from running and we hit a lucky home run ball... our best play is still a busted play for a long run.. with a guy named Martinez.. we have no Fullback threat.. no real WR threat... no TE threat. its a deep ball hail mary... that is so wide open Artie Lange could catch it for a TD or its a mile over their head into row 58 in the stands... we have no real offensive identity despite having hired Scott Frost.. which should scare everyone. 

8 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

true but he also has to be fast enough to make it past the 1st wave of people.  our guys don't seem to be in a hurry once they get the ball.  If you aren't Devin Hester you better get your a$$ movin as soon as you have it.

I think Oliver Martin may be the answer there. He looked VERY comfortable back there- CTB didnt. 

Its still early, but Martin may be one of those very rare guys who actually lives up the the hype of his measurables- without having proved it with other teams. 

• Plus1 1

I'm going to give Illinois defense  some credit.  They played hard and looked pretty determined to stop the run.  They have a decent secondary and we had guys open.  Martin and Toure were open a bunch.  That's a good sign.  Now the hard part is getting them the ball.  If you can start hitting the underneath stuff and letting guys run with it that will help.  Unfortunately when we targeted the underneath guy is was too often Leiwer.  Manning had a good one.  More of that then the safeties creep up and you hit the long stuff.  Adrian did hit the nice one to Martin down the middle.  It was also mentioned a few times how windy it was on the field. That could have affected Adrian a little.  I'm just going to hope some of this will get fixed this week.  quite a few games left and I don't want to spend all my time poo pooing the team every chance I get.  I'm sure they hate losing more than anyone on this board.  They are the ones who have to go out there every week.

35 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

You don't see the LB follow Ervin? He ends up off screen on the broadcast but he doesn't just disappear, the outlet is covered. 

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm going to give Illinois defense  some credit.  They played hard and looked pretty determined to stop the run.  They have a decent secondary and we had guys open.  Martin and Toure were open a bunch.

I agree with the bold. I don't know how many of the guys on their team on Saturday were on the 2019 team, but Illinois beat Wisconsin in 2019.

Scott clearly wanted to run them over with power running in the first quarter and we just didn't block well. It didn't work. Martinez's completion percentage was bad at 50%...but he did manage to throw for 232, and like I've said many times now it would have been over 250 and we were really rolling except for the play where Martin picks the guy and then that drive was over from yet another inopportune penalty.

To your last sentence there, yeah, Martin got open - and he had 103 yards on the day. Pretty damn good, right? Toure had three catches for 37 yards and it would have been more if not for the pick play.

This last part is not directed at you but I notice that hardly anybody is talking about our rushing stats from our backs. The stats are bad, with our leading rusher (Ervin) averaging 2.8 YPC.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

You don't see the LB follow Ervin? He ends up off screen on the broadcast but he doesn't just disappear, the outlet is covered. 

Yes, thank you for pointing this out.

Another observation: The "Illinois'" and "Minnesotas" always sell out against the run when they play us. It was the same thing with the Troy game in 2018.

And because Adrian is a better runner than a passer (when really this offense would probably be better off with it the other way around, just as was the case with McKenzie Milton, by the way), when your handoff plays to your running back aren't working and it takes your play caller 2.5 quarters to adjust...you're just pretty much screwed on offense.

This was supposed to be where I thought quick outs to Manning & Toure were going to be a staple - but those plays were almost absent on Saturday. The swing passes were pretty much completely absent also. Confusing and frustrating.

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

I agree with the bold. I don't know how many of the guys on their team on Saturday were on the 2019 team, but Illinois beat Wisconsin in 2019.

Scott clearly wanted to run them over with power running in the first quarter and we just didn't block well. It didn't work. Martinez's completion percentage was bad at 50%...but he did manage to throw for 232, and like I've said many times now it would have been over 250 and we were really rolling except for the play where Martin picks the guy and then that drive was over from yet another inopportune penalty.

To your last sentence there, yeah, Martin got open - and he had 103 yards on the day. Pretty damn good, right? Toure had three catches for 37 yards and it would have been more if not for the pick play.

This last part is not directed at you but I notice that hardly anybody is talking about our rushing stats from our backs. The stats are bad, with our leading rusher (Ervin) averaging 2.8 YPC.

Yes, thank you for pointing this out.

Yeah it was pretty bad.  But what gives me hope is that when they actually had an opening they hit it pretty hard and were able to get decent gains.  That just didn't happen a lot.  The goal line run with Ervin gives me a little hope for the rest of the season.  he had the speed to cut back and get the 1st down.  Stepp had a pretty decent run in the redzone when the line got some push.  I think they should work a little more to get Ervin to the outside.  

4 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

There is a 10 yard cushion and room to get to the sidelines. I wouldnt have any problem having my QB throw that short pass. 

5 of those yards are still behind the line of scrimmage, and guys close pretty quick on the RB sitting in the flat. I have less of a problem with the QB scrambling for 9 yards, and you shouldn't need to hold when the guy is still right in front of you. They called Jurgens IIRC, and he was just bear hugging the guy - didn't need to hold for the scramble to work. 

• Thanks 1