Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

15 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Im going to disagree with this. I was at the game and rewatched it last night. He holds onto the ball too long, and doesn't sense the pressure well, never has really. He got sacked 5 times, that isn't all on the Oline. 

Hes a great kid, he just isn't a very good QB at all on so many fronts. He is however the best option we have now at winning because our QB coach sucks at choosing and developing players. 

HE OVERTHREW TWO VERY WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS ON MEDIUM THROWS THAT WERE SURE TDS. HE HAD TIME ON BOTH THROWS. 

He fumbled the ball which was returned by the other team for a TOUCHDOWN. He has LED THE NATION in QB fumbles- and he did more of the same in game 1. We lost by 8 points- you do the math. 

This is all TRUE !!! 

He held on way too long .... he is afraid to run.. kid has wheels and is afraid of contact OR is being coached not to run cuz we have no backups.. hmmm transfers???? Brett B knows this and covered the recievers like blankets.. the long run for a TD was a fluke.. just like Taylor Martinez long runs.. both are horrid passers.. when we have no run threat we are easy to beat !! Ozigbo and Jano .. Mills gave us a legit ground game.. Abdullah too.. now? we have a legit threat.. but where where those plays Saturday? we ran a weird playbook... Frost was calling plays... he blamed the D look.. but then Matt said they had a plan B.. ? something is bad wrong.. 

6 minutes ago, OreGUNHusker said:

He held on way too long .... he is afraid to run.. kid has wheels and is afraid of contact OR is being coached not to run cuz we have no backups.. hmmm transfers???? Brett B knows this and covered the recievers like blankets.. the long run for a TD was a fluke.. just like Taylor Martinez long runs.. both are horrid passers.. when we have no run threat we are easy to beat !! Ozigbo and Jano .. Mills gave us a legit ground game.. Abdullah too.. now? we have a legit threat.. but where where those plays Saturday? we ran a weird playbook... Frost was calling plays... he blamed the D look.. but then Matt said they had a plan B.. ? something is bad wrong.. 

This is so contradictory and random it's hard to know where to start.

*Runs for 75 yard touchdown and is leading rusher with 111 yards on the ground*

*Gets accused of being afraid to run and the touchdown being a 'fluke'*

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, Undone said:

This is so contradictory and random it's hard to know where to start.

*Runs for 75 yard touchdown and is leading rusher with 111 yards on the ground*

*Gets accused of being afraid to run and the touchdown being a 'fluke'*

The touchdown was a bit of a fluke, a broken play when Illinois was essentially in a prevent defense with a 21 point lead. 

If we had seen more designed QB keepers -- or even more successful scrambles after holding the ball too long -- I think you could respect AMs running game more. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If we had seen more designed QB keepers...

...then the crowd that says we don't do enough with our base RB run game would be out in full force criticizing Frost's choice of running Martinez too much.

I still think Martinez is a serviceable QB for this season. Not only that, but he's our best option by a mile. And also as I've said so many times since Saturday night, how do our two leading rushers both have a YPC average of 2.8?

But I digress - I realize this thread is about Adrian's play.

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

...then the crowd that says we don't do enough with our base RB run game would be out in full force criticizing Frost's choice of running Martinez too much.

I still think Martinez is a serviceable QB for this season. Not only that, but he's our best option by a mile. And also as I've said so many times since Saturday night, how do our two leading rushers both have a YPC average of 2.8?

But I digress - I realize this thread is about Adrian's play.

We shall see. Illinois sold out to stop the run because its painfully obvious Martinez is a poor passer. As the season progresses, Im sure that will be the recipe others use because of this thing called film- it's no secret. 

I can agree with you on one thing. Martinez is the only option at QB and gives us the best chance to "win" because of the ineptness of our QB- choosers and coaches- aka Opera man Verduzco. 

15 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

We shall see. Illinois sold out to stop the run because its painfully obvious Martinez is a poor passer. As the season progresses, Im sure that will be the recipe others use because of this thing called film- it's no secret. 

I can agree with you on one thing. Martinez is the only option at QB and gives us the best chance to "win" because of the ineptness of our QB- choosers and coaches- aka Opera man Verduzco. 

This really has been what the vast, vast majority of the "mid major" types have done to us for a very long time, 55. It was very similar as well in the Taylor & Tommy eras also.

I hesitate to call Martinez a "poor passer" and wouldn't apply that specific label myself, but I know that we will agree that in terms of being a dual threat guy, his running ability is better than his passing ability.

Hence why the "Illinois'" and "Minnesota's" sell out against the run and then just pray that it works. Thing is, it usually has. When we played at Minnesota in 2019 and Adrian was injured and Vedral got the start, they absolutely destroyed us in that game with this strategy.

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

This really has been what the vast, vast majority of the "mid major" types have done to us for a very long time, 55. It was very similar as well in the Taylor & Tommy eras also.

I hesitate to call Martinez a "poor passer" and wouldn't apply that specific label myself, but I know that we will agree that in terms of being a dual threat guy, his running ability is better than his passing ability.

Hence why the "Illinois'" and "Minnesota's" sell out against the run and then just pray that it works. Thing is, it usually has. When we played at Minnesota in 2019 and Adrian was injured and Vedral got the start, they absolutely destroyed us in that game with this strategy.

Its why I'm SHOCKED we don't go play action, especially on early downs. 

We DON'T.

I know we have play action passes in the playbook. When there was less than a minute left and we had to cover the entire field- with NO timeouts, we threw a play action pass that "REALLY" fooled the defense- thinking it was going to be a run. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The touchdown was a bit of a fluke, a broken play when Illinois was essentially in a prevent defense with a 21 point lead. 

If we had seen more designed QB keepers -- or even more successful scrambles after holding the ball too long -- I think you could respect AMs running game more. 

The Martinez scramble was a boundary corner blitz that the secondary rotated over to cover. It wasn't prevent defense, Illinois was being very aggressive and for one of the few times we picked it up. It wasn't a fluke, it was Illinois being very stupid.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

The Martinez scramble was a boundary corner blitz that the secondary rotated over to cover. It wasn't prevent defense, Illinois was being very aggressive and for one of the few times we picked it up. It wasn't a fluke, it was Illinois being very stupid.

That is 100% correct, Martinez either saw it or felt it and stepped up into the pocket and then to his left. DBs were run off- clear sailing. 

39 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

We DON'T.

I know we have play action passes in the playbook. When there was less than a minute left and we had to cover the entire field- with NO timeouts, we threw a play action pass that "REALLY" fooled the defense- thinking it was going to be a run. 

I completely agree with you.

I think Scott came into this game wanting like heck to establish the run with Ervin. Block hard, win the line of scrimmage, and pound the rock on the ground.

But after a couple drives it was clear that this was not working. So, why not go play action on 1st & 10 on drive #3?

Totally agree.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

We DON'T.

I would like to see them put in a stretch play with a boot leg off of it.  Gets everyone moving one direction and allows Adrian the option to pass or run.  Cuts off half the field so he doesn't have to think as much.  Easy post corner action on the back side.  If he's open throw it if not run.  I also think play action works way better from under center.

• Plus1 1

This is also where I expected we'd see more from our tight ends. In the 12 personnel sets you can really do some damage if a guy like Allen chips off a block on a play action in what seems like a designed running down and you play action, roll out and throw downfield.

I am usually not the fan that craps on play calling. I mean, I wanted to establish the run and trample them with Ervin just like it seems like Frost wanted to as well. But Scott just needs to react quicker with adjustments in-game. I don't know if it's stubbornness or what it is that makes him struggle in this area.

18 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Well if Illinois was being very stupid and it was one of the few times we picked it up, it was by definition a bit of a fluke. I'll take your word that Illinois was being very aggressive — they appeared to be playing the bend don't break strategy all game. 

If we knew Illinois was going to dare Martinez to beat them with his arm -- as most teams have done for the past three seasons -- then we would have needed more and better designed running plays for both Martinez and the RBs in order to make play action a legitimate threat, or for Martinez to actually beat them with his arm in an everyone-go-out sandlot ball game. Adrian got 36 yards on his 16 other carries. That made his TD feel a little flukey, too. Had it tied the game I would have felt otherwise. 

I think we can agree that Adrian's stat line did not translate to nearly enough success on the field. 

• Plus1 2