Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

1 minute ago, Undone said:

And I think the same thing of designing plays your players can actually execute applies to the 3rd & 2 where Martinez fumbled. I have never seen our O-line under Frost be able to handle a rush with just our base 5 guys. They're just not good enough, by and large. They need at least a RB back there to help block.

And, I was disappointed in Stepp's ability to do this.  His missed block directly resulted in a sack.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Isn't that what a play caller is supposed to do?

Yeah, probably meant to say over-think things a little too often. 

Just one example, you have 2 downs to get 4 yards.  It happens a lot.  You could run your best base power plays, or you could mix things up.  I think it's more optimal to stick with those base power plays, and when the timing is right, mix it up to catch the defense off guard (later in game).  That's how you instill a toughness and create an identity.  Instead, it seems we send guys in motion pre-snap, use different formations, try different ways to get those 4 yards per play.  Often when it doesn't work, we get a holding call, or lose yardage on screens, or incomplete a pass, or get flushed out of the pocket, get sacked, or throw the ball away, or QB scramble, etc, etc.  No wonder we struggle with momentum.  Base power plays, line up and move the chains.  Then get creative on 1st down or 2nd and long. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, admo said:

Yeah, probably meant to say over-think things a little too often. 

Just one example, you have 2 downs to get 4 yards.  It happens a lot.  You could run your best base power plays, or you could mix things up.  I think it's more optimal to stick with those base power plays, and when the timing is right, mix it up to catch the defense off guard (later in game).  That's how you instill a toughness and create an identity.  Instead, it seems we send guys in motion pre-snap, use different formations, try different ways to get those 4 yards per play.  Often when it doesn't work, we get a holding call, or lose yardage on screens, or incomplete a pass, or get flushed out of the pocket, get sacked, or throw the ball away, or QB scramble, etc, etc.  No wonder we struggle with momentum.  Base power plays, line up and move the chains.  Then get creative on 1st down or 2nd and long. 

I agree 

OR you could line it up like you're going to run a base running play and then play action pass. You still have 4th down to make the first down.  Its been done to us many times. We however choose to exclude this simple concept from our playbook. 

• Thanks 1

The sideline passes to Allen showed really great play design. You can say "but it was Fordham," but that's the point; take your huge tight end and run over their corners.

These types of plays get Adrian's confidence up, the high percentage throws. Would love to see us do more of this kind of stuff right from the first drive against Buffalo. When Martinez is playing confidently he has an extremely high ceiling.

I also think that on 3rd & 2's you just have to call a designed keeper for Adrian. He is so good at making a one-on-one matchup miss.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I really hope Adrian has the kind of year he is capable of.  I'm doubtful because of the line but if he can pull off a 7 win type of season, he really deserves the records he will set imo.  

Agreed. The line is the biggest issue again, by far, with this offense.  Pressured on nearly 50% of dropback versus Illinois but it's all his fault still somehow to a lot of people.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, runningblind said:

Agreed. The line is the biggest issue again, by far, with this offense.  Pressured on nearly 50% of dropback versus Illinois but it's all his fault still somehow to a lot of people.

I'm guessing you're being a bit hyperbolic here with the bolded, but IMO, only a fringe group of people think Martinez is completely at fault. I think most people acknowledge there are challenges in the entire offense. And we could probably go through a really dull exercise of building out a pie chart of who deserves the most blame, but at the end of the day, I don't think that would accomplish much.

From my perspective, there is plenty of evidence to criticize AM's quarterbacking abilities exclusively and inclusively of what's happening around him. That Illinois game was kind of a microcosm of his time as a Husker. Sure, there were quite a few plays where offensive line mishaps cost him. But, there were also several documented plays where he didn't see receivers open on their routes, missed open receivers when he had plenty of time, or turned the ball over (he's averaging 1+ turnover per game as a Husker). 

I'm all-in on targeting the offensive line for their problems. That position group has been my biggest griping point for going on 20 years. But AM is undoubtedly a liability far more often than a four year starter should be, particularly in situations where he is not being forced into making an error and still does.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1