Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

19 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm guessing you're being a bit hyperbolic here with the bolded, but IMO, only a fringe group of people think Martinez is completely at fault. I think most people acknowledge there are challenges in the entire offense. And we could probably go through a really dull exercise of building out a pie chart of who deserves the most blame, but at the end of the day, I don't think that would accomplish much.

From my perspective, there is plenty of evidence to criticize AM's quarterbacking abilities exclusively and inclusively of what's happening around him. That Illinois game was kind of a microcosm of his time as a Husker. Sure, there were quite a few plays where offensive line mishaps cost him. But, there were also several documented plays where he didn't see receivers open on their routes, missed open receivers when he had plenty of time, or turned the ball over (he's averaging 1+ turnover per game as a Husker). 

I'm all-in on targeting the offensive line for their problems. That position group has been my biggest griping point for going on 20 years. But AM is undoubtedly a liability far more often than a four year starter should be, particularly in situations where he is not being forced into making an error and still does.

It's hyperbole yes but I genuinely don't think he is issue #1. He's been a turnover machine and could make more plays but what I'm getting at is almost any QB would look much worse behind this line than they do behind a good one like Ohio State's.  The line plays into poor running, but so do the RB and on and on. 

You're right though, we could just go round and round in circles placing blame when that is pointless.  Just something to continue talking about until things turn around or something changes I suppose.  

45 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It's hyperbole yes but I genuinely don't think he is issue #1. He's been a turnover machine and could make more plays but what I'm getting at is almost any QB would look much worse behind this line than they do behind a good one like Ohio State's.  The line plays into poor running, but so do the RB and on and on. 

You're right though, we could just go round and round in circles placing blame when that is pointless.  Just something to continue talking about until things turn around or something changes I suppose.  

The problem with AM is he can't hit open receivers. Watching the Illinois game, it had nothing to do with pressure, with time near the goaline he missed  several tds

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
15 minutes ago, Aliens05 said:

My brother sent me this today with the caption "What no mention of the record book for most fumbles"?

In all seriousness I thought, you're right.. he's gotta be close to #1 most fumbles all time at Nebraska surely..

He has fumbled a lot, 27 times in his first 3 years but he's nowhere close to Taylor Martinez's 45 in his first 3 years.  Adrian played a few less games but is 18 shy still.  We are on the list so much it's absurd.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/fumbles?season_id=118

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, ohio1973 said:

The problem with AM is he can't hit open receivers. Watching the Illinois game, it had nothing to do with pressure, with time near the goaline he missed  several tds

Just like I can't say it's all on the line,  you can't say it had nothing to do with pressure. He was pressured on nearly 50% of dropbacks so the kid is probably seeing rushers that aren't there.  Some of it is his fault sure but a lot isn't.

As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle. 

• Plus1 2

30 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Mav, it's impossible to post positive stuff right now.  Those who want to be negative have blinders on. 

AM will always statistically look good. We have made an art of being able to put up stats but still not score. 

Combo of turnover, penalties, and poor red zone O. 

Hard to learn much from the dam game, but UTSA rolled over Illinois. QB carved them up. 

AM was dreadful in the first half vs. Illinois. He got better as the game went on, but he missed on a bunch of throws. 50% completion percentage isn’t going to get it done (OL can help here but AM does them no favors with his holds and missed throws). 

Hope we see more consistency going forward. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

E-pmjH4WQAE4xHA?format=png&name=medium

Do yourself a favor and look back at that statistic over the last 3-5 years. I’ll do you a favor and give you a hint: this tweet exists because of how mediocre it’s been. 

It’s also not “encouraging”. We have played a FCS team and a team that literally got manhandled by UTSA. Why shouldn’t this stat on its own be good? If get warm fuzzys with our play, good for you. 

I want Nebraska to succeed so if this stat looks this way at the end of season, and we haven’t imploded through other means, it’ll mean good things have happened. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
35 minutes ago, VizionNE said:

AM will always statistically look good. We have made an art of being able to put up stats but still not score. 

Combo of turnover, penalties, and poor red zone O. 

Hard to learn much from the dam game, but UTSA rolled over Illinois. QB carved them up. 

AM was dreadful in the first half vs. Illinois. He got better as the game went on, but he missed on a bunch of throws. 50% completion percentage isn’t going to get it done (OL can help here but AM does them no favors with his holds and missed throws). 

Hope we see more consistency going forward. 

No arguments here with most of what you refer to... I just think people should realize that the QB is only a part of that.  

How much better would he look with even an average running game?

He is a kid who is in a rough situation and yet he still seems to put a positive spin on things and is giving it 100% effort.  In my eyes, he isn't the problem.  

• Plus1 3