Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

8 hours ago, VizionNE said:

Do yourself a favor and look back at that statistic over the last 3-5 years. I’ll do you a favor and give you a hint: this tweet exists because of how mediocre it’s been.

So because we used to be bad means you still have to complain about it?  Or you just don't let the facts get in the way of your argument?

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, ohio1973 said:

The problem with AM is he can't hit open receivers. Watching the Illinois game, it had nothing to do with pressure, with time near the goaline he missed  several tds

I'm not sure this is true that it was "several." If somebody can recall another one besides the one where he overthrew Liewer, I'll try to look it up on the replay.

And that one only cost us four points and not seven, as we got a FG on that drive.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

So because we used to be bad means you still have to complain about it?  Or you just don't let the facts get in the way of your argument?

We’ve played two games against bad teams and your throwing on the term facts? You make me laugh. Send me some of what your on. 

This fact is only one piece of my entire statement regarding AMs inflated stats, but thanks for your contributions with your great FACTS! 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

I'm not sure this is true that it was "several." If somebody can recall another one besides the one where he overthrew Liewer, I'll try to look it up on the replay.

And that one only cost us four points and not seven, as we got a FG on that drive.

The one I feel he missed that he would like to have back was in the 2nd qtr.  The ball was held too long, and then under thrown.  Omar ran down the side line and Toure ran a skinny post.  He could have thrown to either.  Looked like man coverage.  And would have been a bigger play if he threw it sooner.  He chose to throw to Omar on the play.  It wasn't bad by no means, but I just point out the timing/rhythm between QB and WR.

However, my TV sky box view isn't the same as his on the field. 

I still say that for the passes Adrian misses that another QB maybe hits, he makes up for it with his legs. I'd say these improvisation running plays he makes are probably worth an extra 3-5 completions per game.

When he is given time to throw I really think he's a good QB in this scheme.

• Plus1 6

One thing that I take from the first two games is that, when 2AM is under pressure in the pocket, he can have issues finding receivers and making throws.  Fordham game showed us that when he isn't pressured, he can make a lot of very good throws.  I know that sounds like the obvious thing.  But, our O line has got to pass protect better than they did against Illinois.  

• Plus1 2

Adrian Martinez is not a terrible passer. Taylor Martinez wasn't either, and he got better each year. 

Adrian's just not a great decision maker. That's why he makes great passes when he's got a receiver wide open, and poor passes when the play doesn't break the way he'd hoped. More than Taylor, Adrian is being asked to run a more pro-set offense, and that's where he gets out of his comfort zone. He could be a great running QB who passes better than most Husker dual threats, but that's not the game we're playing, and maybe that doesn't work any more against better defenses. 

Coaches can draw up offenses that help QBs make decisions, and I think Adrian is it that maddening place where he's good enough to pull off a sophisticated offense as long as everything is working perfectly. Adrian, like the rest of the team and coaching staff, doesn't adapt to adversity so well. 

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

More than Taylor, Adrian is being asked to run a more pro-set offense, and that's where he gets out of his comfort zone. He could be a great running QB who passes better than most Husker dual threats, but that's not the game we're playing, and maybe that doesn't work any more against better defenses. 

Adrian has a 63.9% career completion percentage rate. Taylor's was 59.8%. And Tommy's was 53%. INB4 the "aDriaN THrowS A l0t of shORT PAsseS" comments.

So I don't think that second sentence has to be drawn up as "could be," I think we can and should substitute "is" in its place there, right?

And last year he had 3 interceptions in the 7 full games he played in (and he technically played in all 8 games). He's got 0 INTs so far after these two games.

I'd say that once he got that relatively bad 2019 campaign off his back he's been a lot better with decision making - but the fumbles at inopportune times are of course a concern. Put that in bold so that certain posters don't swoop in and claim I'm a "Martinez turnover denier."

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

Adrian has a 63.9% career completion percentage rate. Taylor's was 59.8%. And Tommy's was 53%. INB4 the "aDriaN THrowS A l0t of shORT PAsseS" comments.

So I don't think that second sentence has to be drawn up as "could be," I think we can and should substitute "is" in its place there, right?

And last year he had 3 interceptions in the 7 full games he played in (and he technically played in all 8 games). He's got 0 INTs so far after these two games.

I'd say that once he got that relatively bad 2019 campaign off his back he's been a lot better with decision making - but the fumbles at inopportune times are of course a concern. Put that in bold so that certain posters don't swoop in and claim I'm a "Martinez turnover denier."

To me, the problem is games like Illinois: 300 total yards for Martinez and no interceptions.

But for whatever reason -- and I'm a guy who predicted a great season for Adrian -- he didn't look like a good quarterback having a good game. He was a guy taking way too long to make decisions, and not operating with the precision the offense demands. And the fumble was a really bad one -- an unfocused and kinda panicky indecision that came at the worst time. Adrian's had a few too many of those games.

He's a good dude with good stats, but he's not the killer-instinct leader we need. And it's weird, because he played lights out as a freshman. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Undone said:

I still say that for the passes Adrian misses that another QB maybe hits, he makes up for it with his legs. I'd say these improvisation running plays he makes are probably worth an extra 3-5 completions per game.

When he is given time to throw I really think he's a good QB in this scheme.

I think he's actually done a great job so far of choosing when to run and when to try to move the pocket. Everytime he's taken off I think he's gotten positive yards. He hasn't forced any passes and that kept us in the fist game right up to the end. That's huge in making games winnable.

27 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I think he's actually done a great job so far of choosing when to run and when to try to move the pocket. Everytime he's taken off I think he's gotten positive yards. He hasn't forced any passes and that kept us in the fist game right up to the end. That's huge in making games winnable.

Not sure what game you were watching, but Illinois owned Nebraska from the second quarter on. They were up by 21 points and they were not afraid of the Nebraska offense. We got two late touchdowns playing YOLO ball and lost by 8 to a bottom tier Big 10 team. Most of what Adrian did in that game we don't want to replicate. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not sure what game you were watching, but Illinois owned Nebraska from the second quarter on. They were up by 21 points and they were not afraid of the Nebraska offense. We got two late touchdowns playing YOLO ball and lost by 8 to a bottom tier Big 10 team. Most of what Adrian did in that game we don't want to replicate. 

Much of what the OL did that game is what we don't want to replicate 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Maybe read what I wrote again. He hasn't thrown a pick, is 60% throwing it, and he's averaging 5.8 yds per carry. He's done a pretty good job taking care of the ball so far minus a strip sack. When he's ran this year it's been a good decision. 

The Illinois game had a lot more to do with the O line than it did Adrian. Piss poor pass blocking and zero movement in the run game. A QB can only do so much when he's pressured every other time he drops back.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

To me, the problem is games like Illinois: 300 total yards for Martinez and no interceptions.

But for whatever reason -- and I'm a guy who predicted a great season for Adrian -- he didn't look like a good quarterback having a good game. He was a guy taking way too long to make decisions, and not operating with the precision the offense demands. And the fumble was a really bad one -- an unfocused and kinda panicky indecision that came at the worst time. Adrian's had a few too many of those games.

He's a good dude with good stats, but he's not the killer-instinct leader we need. And it's weird, because he played lights out as a freshman. 

This. OL needs to improve for sure, but AM does not help them. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1