Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

Take away the OL issues.  If we have a QB who continually makes mistakes I'd say it's on him.  But when crap breaks down the due shines....He is great at improv.  He has talent and abilities.  Maybe the problem is the guy on the staff that has yet to show he can develop a D1 P5 QB......With a good QB coach how many of these mistakes could go away.  I'd take AM and let Verduzco go. See how he plays next year.

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, lo country said:

Take away the OL issues.  If we have a QB who continually makes mistakes I'd say it's on him.  But when crap breaks down the due shines....He is great at improv.  He has talent and abilities.  Maybe the problem is the guy on the staff that has yet to show he can develop a D1 P5 QB......With a good QB coach how many of these mistakes could go away.  I'd take AM and let Verduzco go. See how he plays next year.

When he went down yesterday I said, "Oh crap, we can't do this without him." And my friends said, "Let's see what Smother's has." And I said, "Doesn't matter what Smothers had, Adrian is the only one that knows how to cover up for this O-Line. Without him, we are F'd." Glad he came back. Wish the outcome would have been what it could have been....

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Mich. St. beat us with a 4 man rush with  very little blitzing.  Other tackles are playing terrible.  On several occasions, we just pushed the Def. Player into or right at  Martinez.   

This is absolutely false. They were bringing 5 and 6 guys a couple times every series. We actually did an excellent job of play calling around it. Almost everytime they crashed the middle we had a play call going to the outside.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

This is absolutely false. They were bringing 5 and 6 guys a couple times every series. We actually did an excellent job of play calling around it. Almost everytime they crashed the middle we had a play call going to the outside.

Game stats had mich. St. Blitzing 4 times on 44 pass plays.  Just because the LB where on the line do not mean they blitz.  I will go with the game stats, even if you do not.

• Plus1 4

29 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Game stats had mich. St. Blitzing 4 times on 44 pass plays.  Just because the LB where on the line do not mean they blitz.  I will go with the game stats, even if you do not.

Most of the blitzes weren't from the line. Like I said we had good play calls/checks into the blitz and ended running it more than passing it when they brought extra guys. I'm actually quite impressed on the rewatch with that aspect.

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Most of the blitzes weren't from the line. Like I said we had good play calls/checks into the blitz and ended running it more than passing it when they brought extra guys. I'm actually quite impressed on the rewatch with that aspect.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Every official stat I've seen say you are 100% incorrect....  I'm gonna go with the stats..

On 9/26/2021 at 12:14 AM, BoNeyard said:

He does a lot to win, but at the same time does stuff that costs us wins.

This is very true. Martinez can be brilliant like we saw against Oklahoma, but then can be subpar as we saw him miss receivers all over the place against Illinois. His fumble before half against Illinois and INT in OT against MSU were key turnovers that affected the outcome of those games.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

His fumble before half against Illinois and INT in OT against MSU were key turnovers that affected the outcome of those games.

The interception in OT is almost silly to focus on because he no choice but to try to force the ball in there to have any chance at winning the game...in a situation where we shouldn't have been in overtime at all.

But the scoop & score fumble against Illinois is haunting at this point. Sucks on that play that they rushed only four and our five linemen couldn't handle it to give him time to throw though. But there was only about a minute left in the half, and all we really needed to do was go into halftime at 9-9.

• Plus1 5

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

The interception in OT is almost silly to focus on because he no choice but to try to force the ball in there to have any chance at winning the game...in a situation where we shouldn't have been in overtime at all.

But the scoop & score fumble against Illinois is haunting at this point. Sucks on that play that they rushed only four and our five linemen couldn't handle it to give him time to throw though. But there was only about a minute left in the half, and all we really needed to do was go into halftime at 9-9.

I agree that there were other significant issues for the loss against MSU, but as a 4-year starter in OT, we at least need to try to get 3 points on the board so any turnover in OT is very costly.

Regarding the Illini game, I was at the game and agree the fumble was costly, but the bigger concern was the number of passes completely off target and over the heads of our receivers that cost us points on the scoreboard.  AM has improved his accuracy in recent games so I am hoping this trend will continue the rest of the season.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Undone said:

It’s not all that silly to focus on in reality because on first down, he should have thrown a wide open touchdown pass

• Plus1 4
Just now, Archy1221 said:

It’s not all that silly to focus on in reality because on first down, he should have thrown a wide open touchdown pass

You can have fun pouring over it if you want.

The main focus for me is this: The #1 problem with Frost's program since 2019 - present is special teams. Having two punters that can't punt as well as a JV team starter - with all of the resources this program has - is absolutely pathetic. His punt was 30 yards off target. If he just does his job that game doesn't go to overtime.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, Undone said:

The main focus for me is this: The #1 problem with Frost's program since 2019 - present is special teams. Having two punters that can't punt as well as a JV team starter - with all of the resources this program has - is absolutely pathetic. His punt was 30 yards off target. If he just does his job that game doesn't go to overtime.

When I look back on the 2019 and 2020 seasons, we definitely had special teams challenges, but we also saw Kulp earn kicker of the year last year.  I really think the entire offense was a bigger issue in 2019 and 2020, whether it was poor QB play (from Martinez and McCaffrey when he played) or the O-line which was underperforming.  In 2021 we have seen special teams get worse, O-line performance remain about the same as 2019 and 2020 (with dumb penalties continuing), and QB play has improved (outside of the Illinois game).  

Regardless, by Year 4 we should not be seeing such deficiencies with offense or special teams and that is why there is so much heat on Frost.  Unless I am mistaken, he is making more money per year than any other Husker employee, so expectations should be high for him.  

30 minutes ago, Undone said:

My biggest problem with the Frost tenure is that each week its another glaring issue that seems to highlight itself.

One week its special teams being a total S show

next week it is stupid penalties

Then it is turnovers.

For me, that is all coaching. Frost cant get everything to work together and also clearly hasnt solved those problems. 

At a certain point, you just accept Frost is a bad coach and we move on. The constant "I told this player to do this and he didnt" and "Until they start caring, I dont know what else to say" is on leadership and coaching. 

• Plus1 4