Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

16 hours ago, Undone said:

What I will say though is Frost let it out after the Iowa game that he had been playing with a shoulder injury. We don't entirely know for how long, if memory serves - but that had to have played a factor.

So, losing Stanley Morgan (who drew double teams) and having the injury surely accounted for a sizable chunk of the drop-off.

But I mean like, his stats regressed. That is true:

2018 Nebraska Big Ten FR QB 11 224 347 64.6 2617 7.5 7.5 17 8 139.5

2019 Nebraska Big Ten SO QB 10 149 251 59.4 1956 7.8 7.0 10 9 130.8

Not just the stats

He had plenty of opps to run for first downs with plenty of green- he wouldn't. When he would run it was usually too late and he looked slow and indecisive when doing so. That doesn't really show up in stats- but we all saw it if you were watching the games closely with an open mind. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Not just the stats

He had plenty of opps to run for first downs with plenty of green- he wouldn't. When he would run it was usually too late and he looked slow and indecisive when doing so. That doesn't really show up in stats- but we all saw it. 

I genuinely thought we were mainly talking about his passing game.

The added weight they had him put on for year 2 also turned out to be a bad decision. But, we fixed that issue. This season he is like lightning out there when he turns it on!

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Not just the stats

He had plenty of opps to run for first downs with plenty of green- he wouldn't. When he would run it was usually too late and he looked slow and indecisive when doing so. That doesn't really show up in stats- but we all saw it. 

You are correct.  That's what we saw.  I spent many games last year yelling at my TV.....RUNNNNN.  Two things that were brought out later on were:

a) The WRs could not be trusted to be where they should be.  Many times we saw WRs ending up together down field. So, one of them is running the wrong route.  

b). He was injured and had shoulder surgery after the season.  This didn't allow him to throw down field like we are seeing him do this year.

So, can't throw deep and can't trust WRs to be run the right route.  And....I would assume if he's already injured, the coaches were telling him not to run as much.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Undone said:

I genuinely thought we were mainly talking about his passing game.

The added weight they had him put on for year 2 also turned out to be a bad decision. But, we fixed that issue. This season he is like lightning out there when he turns it on!

We look at a QBs entire game. That determines wins and losses- not just completion percentage etc

YES< he's slimmed down and has that explosiveness back- it's GREAT to see that. And I like him running out of bounds as he has some. 

50 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But the numbers from last year show he hadn't regressed since his Freshman year, which is what many were claiming.  He was actually significantly better.  The overall results seemed worse but that doesn't mean that he was worse.  It's easy to focus on the negative when people are unhappy with the overall results.  The objective measures don't tell the same story.

And none of that can take into account how it can be differentiated that it wasn't largely caused by the lack of weapons around him.

I don't know what to say anymore. On my side I have every college football expert, the player's coach, and the player himself talking about the regression from his Freshman year. It revolved mostly around decision-making and unforced errors. The kind of things you don't blame on other players. I don't think Adrian would blame them, either. Sophomore slumps are a thing. AM certainly isn't alone. 

I'm also struggling with your statistical analysis. The numbers from last year show an improvement in Adrian's completion percentage over his freshman season, but a drop in yards per attempt, touchdown to int ratio, and quarterback ranking. His longest completion was 38 yards. His rushing numbers were a bit better. But his own coach replaced him mid-season of his third year to give his team a spark. How can that not be a regression from his Heisman inspiring Freshman season? 

Objective or subjective, Martinez did not inspire the faith he did his Freshman season until about three weeks ago. 

If Martinez keeps it up, it's going to be a great story. He can make his doubters eat every word. But it's a bit revisionist to suggest Adrian's play wasn't part of the problem. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, Undone said:

What I will say though is Frost let it out after the Iowa game in 2019 that he had been playing with a shoulder injury. We don't entirely know for how long, if memory serves - but that had to have played a factor.

So, losing Stanley Morgan (who drew double teams) and having the injury surely accounted for a sizable chunk of the drop-off.

But I mean like, his stats regressed. That is true:

2018 Nebraska Big Ten FR QB 11 224 347 64.6 2617 7.5 7.5 17 8 139.5

2019 Nebraska Big Ten SO QB 10 149 251 59.4 1956 7.8 7.0 10 9 130.8

In 2020,  he had 4 TDs and 3 INTs in 7 games which isn't much better then 2019.   He also led the nation in fumbles both in 2019 and 2020.  

AM right now is surpassing what he was in 2018 and that should have been the case the last couple years but it wasn't.  

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't know what to say anymore. On my side I have every college football expert, the player's coach, and the player himself talking about the regression from his Freshman year. It revolved mostly around decision-making and unforced errors. 

I'm thinking HCSF and the player himself and all the experts know less about how AM was playing than us. :D

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

No, I guess we can't all agree on that.  Regressed?  The production wasn't as good so in that way, yes.  But not nearly as much as people wanted to claim. 

I posted this last week.  The numbers were worse his sophomore year.  But many were talking about how bad he was last year when he was actually significantly BETTER than his Freshman year.  But most people don't want to believe that.

Mav

Very selective in your data. "Significantly Better" Your words "But many were talking about how bad he was last year when he was actually significantly BETTER than his Freshman year"  I think not. 

His TD/INT was significantly worse last year than Freshman year

His YPA was worse last year than Freshman year

His QBR was worse last year than Freshman year

His rushing yards were worse last year than Freshman year

His rushing yards per attempt were worse last year than Freshman year

He was benched last year- not his Freshman year

STATS

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
100 150 66.7 1,463 9.8 6 2 70 159.1
108 151 71.5 1,055 7.0 4 3 38 135.0
149 251 59.4 1,956 7.8 10 9 75 130.8
224 347 64.6 2,617 7.5 17 8 75 139.5

• Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, can't throw deep and can't trust WRs to be run the right route.  And....I would assume if he's already injured, the coaches were telling him not to run as much.

I think we're talking about Martinez missing open receivers, and choosing not to run when the field was wide open. And the fumbles. Those are the things he could control but did not seem as decisive about.  I don't know what the coaches told him,  but Martinez averaged more rushing attempts per game last year (15) than the previous two years (11).

He's been brilliant at times, and other times inconsistent enough to lose games. That puts him in the same league as the other Top 3 Total Offense Leaders in Nebraska football history: Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Martinez.  Adrian is the best passer in the bunch, which is also going to open up the running game for him. I'm hoping he goes out big.  

And honestly.......I'm open to him having a fifth season. For some reason I'm not worried about putting the Logan Smothers era on hold for a year. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

The first part of our schedule had Illinois, Fordham, Buffalo and Northwestern. 

We have some pretty stout defenses on our plate from here on out

Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State, Wisconsin

Those numbers would be awesome- but can we really extrapolate the top paragraph  4 opponents to the ones on the bottom- probably not. 

24 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

The first part of our schedule had Illinois, Fordham, Buffalo and Northwestern. 

We have some pretty stout defenses on our plate from here on out

Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State, Wisconsin

Those numbers would be awesome- but can we really extrapolate the top paragraph  4 opponents to the ones on the bottom- probably not. 

You left out Oklahoma and Michigan State for some reason. I think Adrian's gotten better with the level of competition, don't you? 

I wouldn't extrapolate yet, but AM definitely ranks with other QBs at the same point in the season. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

His TD/INT was significantly worse last year than Freshman year

His YPA was worse last year than Freshman year

His QBR was worse last year than Freshman year

His rushing yards were worse last year than Freshman year

His rushing yards per attempt were worse last year than Freshman year

He was benched last year- not his Freshman year

None of that takes into consideration what he had around him.

Also, his QBR was significantly better last year than his freshman year.  Those are the stats I've posted twice.

His rushing yards were better as a freshman because he played in four more games.  His yards per game were better last year by a noticeable amount.

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You left out Oklahoma and Michigan State for some reason. I think Adrian's gotten better with the level of competition, don't you? 

I wouldn't extrapolate yet, but AM definitely ranks with other QBs at the same point in the season. 

My point was- he had 4 teams where he could pad some really big numbers and those kind of teams dont exist on the back end of the schedule. 

The next 6 games are against significantly better competition than the first 6. THere will be no last/second to last place teams, MAC or Fordham teams left. He has improved and done very well- however saying hes going to amass about 3800 yards 30/4 is a bit much- even for the most positive NU fan. 

20 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

My point was- he had 4 teams where he could pad some really big numbers and those kind of teams dont exist on the back end of the schedule. 

The next 6 games are against significantly better competition than the first 6. THere will be no last/second to last place teams, MAC or Fordham teams left. He has improved and done very well- however saying hes going to amass about 3800 yards 30/4 is a bit much- even for the most positive NU fan. 

Isn’t that true for almost all teams through the first 6 games though? Reality is that 2AM has played a stronger schedule than almost every other team to this point and his numbers are at the top or near the top in every category. Fact is that for one of the tougher schedules to date 2AM has performed better than almost every other QB.

• Plus1 3