Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

6 hours ago, ndobney said:

That's what he is, like if we called a player that couldn't run a statue. Not used to attack him as a person it's used to describe how it plays in certain situations. I think he's a good kid and a great QB, but I'm very concerned about this. If it's not addressed we are going continue to lose close games which I'm tired of doing we all are. I for one do not want to lose to Iowa in the same matter we just lost to Michigan and I know there are plenty of people hear that are tired of Iowa fans. Unfortunately that's the path we seem to be heading down I'd like to avoid it.

See I see it the other way Martinez gave us the lead 3 times and I think the defense choked. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Husker74 said:

See I see it the other way Martinez gave us the lead 3 times and I think the defense choked. 

Really I think the defense was gases. 0 pts in the first offense needed to do more to keep them off the field top is important. Interesting prospective though a great defense can do better than 32 pts vs Michigan

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

Lamar Jackson has lost more fumbles at the one yard line than anyone in the NFL.

Obviously he's just not a winner and is killing his team.

He's got something AM doesn't have- an overtime- first down, touchdown, game winning drive, win 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32385176/down-19-points-qb-lamar-jackson-rallies-baltimore-ravens-comeback-win-indianapolis-colts

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

From his perspective there is a huge creaser there.... He prolly doesnt even see Mich #2 with 83 in the way. Ultimately the call clearly was to run through the hole on the right... 

Not so sure

With 83 pulling wide- lots of space and a lead blocker there. 

There is an unblocked man right in the area he chose to run to. 

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

From his perspective there is a huge creaser there.... He prolly doesnt even see Mich #2 with 83 in the way. Ultimately the call clearly was to run through the hole on the right... 

Yeah, I don't think Vokolek's block on 12 would be as easy as it looks either - he kinda trips on Corcoran right after this screenshot. I imagine knowing it was only a yard, Martinez made a smart call to just get the yardage. But you've gotta hang onto the ball. 

One small thing that could've made a big difference in this game honestly is our lineman pushing piles. The play before this, looks like Rahmir has a crease to the first down but gets stonewalled - Jurgens and Sichterman are there but really don't look like they're pushing. Maybe it's all they can do to hold their ground, but some push there would be nice. And then on the fumble, Sichterman, Jurgen, and Benhart are all close enough to push the pile and don't. It's a lot harder to rip the ball away from a guy being pushed forward. Again, Adrian has to hold onto it - but we could've made it easier, or not even put ourselves in a 3rd and 1 where we needed a QB run.

16 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, I don't think Vokolek's block on 12 would be as easy as it looks either - he kinda trips on Corcoran right after this screenshot. I imagine knowing it was only a yard, Martinez made a smart call to just get the yardage. But you've gotta hang onto the ball. 

One small thing that could've made a big difference in this game honestly is our lineman pushing piles. The play before this, looks like Rahmir has a crease to the first down but gets stonewalled - Jurgens and Sichterman are there but really don't look like they're pushing. Maybe it's all they can do to hold their ground, but some push there would be nice. And then on the fumble, Sichterman, Jurgen, and Benhart are all close enough to push the pile and don't. It's a lot harder to rip the ball away from a guy being pushed forward. Again, Adrian has to hold onto it - but we could've made it easier, or not even put ourselves in a 3rd and 1 where we needed a QB run.

I was screaming/pleading, just run a QB sneak at the TV before this play. Then they came out in shotgun, and I thought... awe crap. Then he got the first and I thought, whew at least it worked out. Then he was stripped and I though... damn it. That wouldn't have happened with a qb sneak... 

2 years ago QB sneak was in the playbook. Frost made hay with it back in the day... its the easiest play in the world to call, especially when you have two cracks to gain 1 yard. SMH

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

One small thing that could've made a big difference in this game honestly is our lineman pushing piles. The play before this, looks like Rahmir has a crease to the first down but gets stonewalled - Jurgens and Sichterman are there but really don't look like they're pushing. Maybe it's all they can do to hold their ground, but some push there would be nice. And then on the fumble, Sichterman, Jurgen, and Benhart are all close enough to push the pile and don't. It's a lot harder to rip the ball away from a guy being pushed forward. 

Agreed- the better coached Oline teams you see doing this all the time. AND even going downfield on a pass play AFTER the ball has been released. 

Obviously you have to walk before running, but pushing the pile should be fairly instinctive- coached- held accountable to. 

In HS- you are not allowed to assist the ballcarrier. You don't see it called a lot though. 

5 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

He's got something AM doesn't have- an overtime- first down, touchdown, game winning drive, win 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32385176/down-19-points-qb-lamar-jackson-rallies-baltimore-ravens-comeback-win-indianapolis-colts

He also has something else Martinez lacks in game winning drives, and thats blocking. All of those last drives he was standing in the pocket all day. I would really like to see his average time to throw on those final drives last night because it really seemed like he took a full 3 seconds minimum before throwing. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1