Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Plus complete one of the easiest 7 yrd throws of the game.  Something a first or second year starter should do much less a 4th year starter 

That throw was pretty atrocious. 

I will cut AM some slack because he was under tremendous duress all night because our OL (just the OTs?) were absolute a$$ all night.

But at this point I'm just curious to see what our offense would look like piloted by a QB who isn't such a limited, inconsistent passer. This goes double if Frost stays. I think they've adjusted who they recruit targeting guys who have more arm talent at the expense of some of AM's freakish athleticism because they recognize the latter doesn't make up for deficiencies in the former.

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

This is exactly what is happening.  Toure and Manning are often wide open on the route break.  It’s tough to watch.  It’s horrible timing.  The excessive time allows the zones to catch up or the open receiver to work into a covered zone.

Absolutely and it’s amazing some people can’t seem to grasp this.  It’s such a killer in the passing game.  This offense will click so much better if/when it has a QB who can pre-read a defense and understand where the ball should go, and quickly get to the next option when #1 is not available. (Along with better tackle play which is a given) 

• Plus1 4
10 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

He is the reason we lose but also the reason we are sometimes close in games. In the end he never does enough to win the games. 

Tommy Armstrong was not that good, but at many times he would put the game on his shoulders and just make the play to win it. 

Good point. Tommy had a moment in that Oregon game with the TD run to win it.  I dont see Martinez making that play.   AM can get the team to the end he just cant push them past that. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

That throw was pretty atrocious. 

I will cut AM some slack because he was under tremendous duress all night because our OL (just the OTs?) were absolute a$$ all night.

But at this point I'm just curious to see what our offense would look like piloted by a QB who isn't such a limited, inconsistent passer. This goes double if Frost stays. I think they've adjusted who they recruit targeting guys who have more arm talent at the expense of some of AM's freakish athleticism because they recognize the latter doesn't make up for deficiencies in the former.

Stroud is an example of this.  He wasn’t really going anywhere with his legs yesterday, but he knew where to throw the ball for the most part.  His decision making reflected someone who knows how to read a defense, knows who will likely be open based on the look.  He also made some bad decisions reflective of a first year red shirt freshmen starter.  His skill set is what this offense needs.   If thebQB can run a little great.  But that is a far second in line of what they need to be looking at. 

• Plus1 2

Question about communication. Does the lineman who consistently get beat on Martinez’s left side ever yell anything to let Martinez know they got beat and pressure is coming?

Because too many times Martinez is completely blind sided by the blind side tackle. Give the guy a heads up that you got beat and someone is coming. AM then needs to realize to either throw it away or get out of there instead of routinely taking the sack.

6 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Question about communication. Does the lineman who consistently get beat on Martinez’s left side ever yell anything to let Martinez know they got beat and pressure is coming?

Because too many times Martinez is completely blind sided by the blind side tackle. Give the guy a heads up that you got beat and someone is coming. AM then needs to realize to either throw it away or get out of there instead of routinely taking the sack.

Another example of never adjusting what you do. If you have a glaring weaknesses at tackle, especially the blind side one, then maybe you have to keep a back in to help block. Or a tight end, because Lord knows we don’t target them enough. But do something, anything, to maybe buy your QB an extra second or two. 

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Stroud is an example of this.  He wasn’t really going anywhere with his legs yesterday, but he knew where to throw the ball for the most part.  His decision making reflected someone who knows how to read a defense, knows who will likely be open based on the look.  He also made some bad decisions reflective of a first year red shirt freshmen starter.  His skill set is what this offense needs.   If thebQB can run a little great.  But that is a far second in line of what they need to be looking at. 

And had all day to pass.  Without Martinez legs, we would scored 0.  It's amazing that posters keep over looking the fact that our tackles are the worse in the big 10 and maybe the country.  The big boys make a sub par qb look good. 

• Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

And had all day to pass.  Without Martinez legs, we would scored 0.  It's amazing that posters keep over looking the fact that our tackles are the worse in the big 10 and maybe the country.  The big boys make a sub par qb look good. 

You seem to know not a lot about QB play.  

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

We lose every game due to the qb when he is running for his life and playing hurt.  I agree he tries to do too much at times, but his decision making has improved.   There are too many that hate him and I understand why Frost does not want to put in Smothers in and ruin his confidence due to our poor line.  Games are won & lost in the trenches!

I'm a big AM defender, but his decision making has not been good in our top 25 games, especially for a 4 year starter. I'm not going to fault him for missing guys breaking open, that's normal for college QBs, but he doesn't seem to be able to throw the quick balls on drag routes and slants well (he's improved the screen game so that has helped), and at times he holds the ball looking for the big play. That's killer when you throw an incompletion or get sacked, and all you needed was to just pick up yards to stay on schedule.

I really, really like the kid and want him to win big, but I don't know why he just can seem to get out of his own way a lot of times.

• Plus1 2

It will be interesting to see if he stays, or goes after this season. Is he forced out by the new coaches and a possible portal transfer, or is Frost better off keeping him in a now make or break year for him as a coach moving forward.

I'm leaning more towards Adrian staying and seeing what he can do with a new OC and QB coach. Even with all of the injuries, with the right coaching, he can put together a very decent year.

• Plus1 2

30 minutes ago, 308_Husker said:

It will be interesting to see if he stays, or goes after this season. Is he forced out by the new coaches and a possible portal transfer, or is Frost better off keeping him in a now make or break year for him as a coach moving forward.

I'm leaning more towards Adrian staying and seeing what he can do with a new OC and QB coach. Even with all of the injuries, with the right coaching, he can put together a very decent year.

A brand new QB coach and OL coach isn’t going to miraculously make Martinez better. The OLine is at least 2 years away from real development and you’d think Frost was already aware of Martinez lack of growth under Verdu that he may have tried himself to make him better.

Ive seen plenty of plays where Martinez gets plenty of time in the pocket and he can’t make the throw or he just ends up taking a sack. My 11 year old Jack Russell Terrier has never learned fetch even though I’ve put in countless hours of trying to teach him. Maybe on his 12th bday he will finally learn to bring the tennis ball back.

Dude has got to go. If Frost invests his 5th and potential final season in Martinez, he won’t be back in 2023.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My question for handling Martinez if he is constantly under pressure due to a terrible OL (Which it is a terrible OL) why they haven't designed more plays to have him either roll out or at least get him moving in the pocket? Or why hasn't Martinez himself made the decision to roll out or get moving in the pocket? He is at his best when he becomes a running threat, that too is when our offense looks at it's best, but he routinely stays in this terrible pocket for far too long and either ends up throwing to the other team, or throws it 10 yards over the WR's head, or takes a sack which often turns into a fumble. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Pretty good twitter thread on the ways that Adrian's been made to look worse than he is due to his OL and coaching/scheme.

1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

My question for handling Martinez if he is constantly under pressure due to a terrible OL (Which it is a terrible OL) why they haven't designed more plays to have him either roll out or at least get him moving in the pocket? Or why hasn't Martinez himself made the decision to roll out or get moving in the pocket? He is at his best when he becomes a running threat, that too is when our offense looks at it's best, but he routinely stays in this terrible pocket for far too long and either ends up throwing to the other team, or throws it 10 yards over the WR's head, or takes a sack which often turns into a fumble. 

These two posts alone show what the problem is at NU.  Our inability to develop an OL and the complete in ability to scheme and play call to help our or pop warner OL.....I'd also throw some shade towards Duval and our vaunted S&C program.  Our guys are getting owned on the OL......Pathetic.  I'd post the stats all over the locker room.  And the weight room.  4 years and this sh!t show.........I'm hoping we are dropping mad money on a new staff.

• Plus1 1