Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

15 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Junior Taylor Martinez jumped 3% in completion percentage, 1250 more yards passing, 13 more passing touchdowns, 3 points in QBR, rushed for more yards, and was first team all conference over freshman Taylor Martinez. Same amount of wins too. 

I'll always wonder what might have been if he could've stayed healthy. Freshman T-Mart's running with junior T-Mart's passing? Yes, please!

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Adrian wasn't perfect.  However, if he was working behind Wisconsin's O line and had Iowa's special teams, he would have won one hell of a lot more games and would be looked at very different by a lot of fans.

Absolutely !  People want to focus on his inability to close or his ability to make that mistake at crucial times.  Sometimes what gets lost is the fact that in many of these games, there would not be a "crucial time" if it was't for AM's  ability to overcome his o-line.  He has to skill set to be a tremendous QB.  Put him with the surrounding cast of the "really good" ones, and he would hold his own.  Will leave with a very unfair "perception" if you base his career on record only.  I am on record saying that I really, really hope he gets some NIL deal to lucerative for him to pass up, so he stays.  It truly give SF his best option of winning next year.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Adrian wasn't perfect.  However, if he was working behind Wisconsin's O line and had Iowa's special teams, he would have won one hell of a lot more games and would be looked at very different by a lot of fans.

He has a 14/10 TD to INT ratio.  He would still lose close games because he is quite bad in the red zone and in close games when it counts 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

He has a 14/10 TD to INT ratio.  He would still lose close games because he is quite bad in the red zone and in close games when it counts 

You could argue that. You could also argue that his supporting cast (specifically the line) is the cause of that 14/10 ratio and the lack of success both in the red zone and in close games. There is a strong part of me that wishes Martinez would transfer to a place with a good to great Oline, just to see him perform at his optimum level.

Joe Burrows wouldn't be Joe Burrows if he came here instead of LSU because of our past receiving core and line issues. Burrow's supporting cast elevated his game. Martinez's supporting cast weakens his. Unfortunately, we'll probably never know the answer as to whether his performance here is "just who Martinez is as a qb," or if he's been made to look worse than he is by weaknesses elsewhere on the team. 

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Toe said:

I'll always wonder what might have been if he could've stayed healthy. Freshman T-Mart's running with junior T-Mart's passing? Yes, please!

Don't think junior Martinez with freshman Martinez legs is the difference that helps us beat Ohio State, Wisconsin in the championship game or Georgia. So maybe 11-3 beating UCLA? But even then, Taylor had a 92 yard touchdown in that game and his execution isn't what lost it for us, so probably still 10-4.

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

Don't think junior Martinez with freshman Martinez legs is the difference that helps us beat Ohio State, Wisconsin in the championship game or Georgia. So maybe 11-3 beating UCLA? But even then, Taylor had a 92 yard touchdown in that game and his execution isn't what lost it for us, so probably still 10-4.

Taylor had two of his longest and fastest runs as a Junior. 

I was at that UCLA game, and the play where Taylor was sacked for a safety was inches away from being a 96 yard touchdown. 

Still would have won that UCLA game if normally reliable Brett Maher hadn't had his worst game as both a kicker and a punter. 

10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's more of decision making and effort by Martinez and receivers than play calling IMO. There were 2 or 3 INTs that were just bad luck (which can be said for many QBs).

Just seems that running the ball in the red zone makes more sense- unless you can’t do that either I guess. It’s moot now 

38 minutes ago, TheSker said:

There are zero plays in Frost's playbook that call for throwing it to the opponent.

I’m quite certain half the crap we’ve seen this year is not designed that way in his playbook. That doesn’t exonerate the coach of responsibility. He’s responsible for calling plays that will work in certain situations and that he has prepared the team to execute satisfactorily. I mean players can screw up, and they have, but HCSF doesn’t automatically get a free pass when they don’t execute. That’s why he gets paid the big bucks.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1