Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

23 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

The whole team would have been better with an improved OL, however Adrian would not have significantly increase his own talent.

So now you're saying everyone would have improved EXCEPT Adrian with an improved O line?

The mental gymnastics by some of you are just incredible.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

So now you're saying everyone would have improved EXCEPT Adrian with an improved O line?

To be fair he really didn't/wouldn't need to increase his talent. He wouldn't be the leading rusher anymore, wouldn't be running for his life in the pocket, maybe doesn't have a bum shoulder...

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, runningblind said:

No, you’re stating this. The TEAM would be better, an individual doesn’t increase their own talent/skill. The flaws that AM possess are why he’s only at KSU and also why he left NU. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

To be fair he really didn't/wouldn't need to increase his talent. He wouldn't be the leading rusher anymore, wouldn't be running for his life in the pocket, maybe does have a bum shoulder...

All things which would greatly help him succeed as a QB, I agree. The OL improving would make him play better, with the same talent, but he wouldn't need to as you say.

Just now, Savage Husker said:

No, you’re stating this. The TEAM would be better, an individual doesn’t increase their own talent/skill. The flaws that AM possess are why he’s only at KSU and also why he left NU. 

He wouldn't need to increase his own talent as he would actually have help and would play better because of it.  He's at K State because he's probably tired of being run over by the blame bus from playing on a crappy team.

• Haha 2
17 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He wouldn't need to increase his own talent as he would actually have help and would play better because of it.  He's at K State because he's probably tired of being run over by the blame bus from playing on a crappy team.

You pretty much just validated my original comment you took exception to, and at the same time sound like he’s still a Heisman candidate who was passed over by every conference contender. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I know there is a cumulative effect on his play due to the weaknesses around him.  Maybe he was skittish or rushed things because the likelihood was that he was going either scramble or get sacked. But the reality is that he still made numerous mistakes on plays where he did have time. He missed open receivers, threw picks, or fumbled. How many time this year alone did he overthrow Allen?  When he had sufficient time. 

I love the kid and I hope he does great at KSU. He’s just a class act. But the reality is, he did have some shortcomings that were his own. Not just the fault of the supporting players around him. 

I wonder if he had other offers (P5 level) or KSU was pretty much just a done deal right from the beginning. 

Adrian "turn over" Martinez.  will always be a controversial player for NU.  Clearly one of most talented athletes NU has ever had but often made absolutely critical mental gaffs, and way tooo many turnovers.

With that said, i will root for him at K-State.  the pressure there will not be a high as it was here.   with his shoulder surgery, i am curious if he even plays much next season, maybe does the 4 game thing and red-shirts to give shoulder more time to heal.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:34 PM, sho said:

I think he could have been putting up Joe Ganz like numbers and would be looked at the same way.   I think a lot of his mental mistakes were because he was pressing too much because he was getting hit too often.   IMO he would have had less turnovers, been healthier and would have a winning percentage north of .650 with an above average line and would easily be in everyone's top 10 all time QBs at Nebraska.

Now Joe Ganz was a really good QB.  too bad Callahan took to long to figure that out. 

Glad AM found a home that he is comfortable with.  His time at NU didn’t get a good win return rate because he is an athlete playing QB and we need a QB playing QB.  The really great college QB’s are both, I will be satisfied with just the QB portion of it.  

It’s why it seemed he never really had a feel for the game while it’s going.  Had trouble leading the offense on game winning drives, and had extreme throwing trouble inside the 20.  

Wish him the best of luck at KState and in life going forward.  Really hope SF learned his lesson on what he needs out of a QB going forward.  Can’t just plug in an athlete and expect a solid winning QB to emerge. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Glad AM found a home that he is comfortable with.  His time at NU didn’t get a good win return rate because he is an athlete playing QB and we need a QB playing QB.  The really great college QB’s are both, I will be satisfied with just the QB portion of it.  

It’s why it seemed he never really had a feel for the game while it’s going.  Had trouble leading the offense on game winning drives, and had extreme throwing trouble inside the 20.  

Wish him the best of luck at KState and in life going forward.  Really hope SF learned his lesson on what he needs out of a QB going forward.  Can’t just plug in an athlete and expect a solid winning QB to emerge. 

I'll often think about what it might had been had he had a QB coach, a center, an OL, and some special teams.  I've been on the receiving end of the "perfect storm" and that seems to be what happened here for me.  As much as I can throw stones at various players [for me, Cam Jergens comes to mind], I also know that within his whole set of learning and faults, that there are moving parts all around and in that "perfect storm", nothing seemed to work.  

Hopefully, there will come the day again where you have a good player whose been in program who can just sort of be a "plug and play" player and the system just keeps steamrolling the next season.  For us, we can't seem to drop the "k" from kNebraska yet.  

For me, I could have gone with AM for another season sensing that their was nothing better, yet, totally get him or Scott moving on to something that is "different", if not better.  

I really don't think there is a "Really hope SF learned his lesson on what he needs out of a QB going forward."  I could point you to quite a few QB's in Nebraska history we've had that were similar to AM.  So, I don't see a "lesson to be learned" regarding him selecting a "type" of QB.  There are many pieces around this "perfect storm" [at least as I choose to see it].

We now have a new direction, which appears to be Smoothers.  Hopeful to get the "GO" back in "GO BIG RED"!

• Thanks 1