Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Except that's the opposite point of what was being argued. They're talking about a correlation between college on-field success and NFL future - Adrian has had more individual college success than Allen in all but one individual stat (TDs).

Your initial claim that Allen had a better body of work in college is extremely dubious and based entirely on the one individual stat that fits your view. Allen was obviously the more talented QB, and to his credit worked that talent into NFL production. But his body of work was worse in college, by a pretty significant margin.

Im not sure how you dont also factor in the amount of turnovers AM has been responsible for fumbles and interceptions THE most important statistic in football. TDS matter- what would you rather have 350 yards passing, 0 tds and 1 interception or 250 yards passing 2 Tds and 1 Interception? Also W-L record- playing in crunch time. That matters when considering a body of work- not just what ends up being somewhat meaningless yards. How many game winning TD drives has AM led us to? I thought I read he has had 13 or 14 tries to get us to tie or win in the last possession and weve won 1 of those. We havent even got a single first down in the 3 OT games. It is what it is and that matters. 

3 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

If you think  AM is in the same solar system skill wise with Jackson- Im going to start thinking you are related- to Adrian. 

Jeez.

Is that what I said? No.

You made this comment:

3 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

and being 6'5" seems to help.

Everyone who knows NFL football knows that the average starting QB height trends more in that 6'4"ish range.

But just pointing out that it isn't some kind of end-all, be-all. Drew Brees was 6'0".

INB4 "If you think AM is in the same solar system skill-wise with Drew Brees I'm going to start thinking you are related to Adrian."

The thing with 2AM is that I'm not going to be surprised if he doesn't get a shot.

He's also not a player that is going to be so hyped that a team is going to draft him and expect him to start day one and make a big impact.  If he gets that shot, he will have time to develop and learn.  In that situation, you never know what can happen when there's other coaches and players around him contributing to his success.

He could always work into a being that career back up QB for 5+ years and that is not a bad gig at all.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

The thing with 2AM is that I'm not going to be surprised if he doesn't get a shot.

He's also not a player that is going to be so hyped that a team is going to draft him and expect him to start day one and make a big impact.  If he gets that shot, he will have time to develop and learn.  In that situation, you never know what can happen when there's other coaches and players around him contributing to his success.

He could always work into a being that career back up QB for 5+ years and that is not a bad gig at all.

Im hoping he gets a shot and gets picked up also. Backup QB is an awesome gig and payday. Doubtful. 

5 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I'm just gonna say, if Tanner Lee can get drafted, so can Adrian

Tanner was an AWESOME combine type QB. Can make all the throws with zero pressure and they look REALLY good too. My buddy from Jacksonville looked at him and thought he looked pretty good, was some diamond in the rough value find. I had to break it to him- who TL was and that no he wasn't going to make the squad or be able to help them:D

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Exactly how are you going to spin that a guy who threw for 5,066 yards at a 56.2% completion rate with 44 TDs while running for 767 yards at a 3.2 ypa clip and 12 TDs has a "much better body of work" than a guy who has thrown for 6,893 yards at a 64.6% completion rate and 36 TDs while running for 2,125 yards at a 4.8 ypa clip and 28 TDs?

Josh Allen could have been another Mitch Trubisky: the NFL liked his size and figured he could learn on the job. A lot of folks thought Buffalo over-reached. Allen's TD/Int ratio at Wyoming wasn't any better than Adrian's either. 

Trubisky turned out to be nothing but tall,  while some folks consider Allen's development over his first two season to be genuinely remarkable.

You never know.

But if I had to put money on it, Adrian Martinez never plays a down in the NFL. 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Tanner was an AWESOME combine type QB. Can make all the throws with zero pressure and they look REALLY good too. My buddy from Jacksonville looked at him and thought he looked pretty good, was some diamond in the rough value find. I had to break it to him- who TL was and that no he wasn't going to make the squad or be able to help them:D

In fairness to your buddy, Tanner thrived for two years from his reputation as the  hidden gem at the Manning Quarterback camp, where people who are supposed to know these things declared him the real thing. 

Apparently Zac Lee always killed it in practice, too. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Not true- 

Adrian is averaging 10 TDs and 7 Interceptions per season

Allen averaged 22 TDs and 11 Interceptions per season

Since we're working with shortened, non-existent , and yet to be completed seasons, you are factually correct.

But if you consider the distance between Josh Allen and Adrian Martinez to be the lack of interceptions, you would be wrong. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Im not sure how you dont also factor in the amount of turnovers AM has been responsible for fumbles and interceptions THE most important statistic in football. Also W-L record- playing in crunch time. That matters when considering a body of work- not just what ends up being somewhat meaningless yards. How many game winning TD drives has AM led us to? I thought I read he has had 13 or 14 tries to get us to tie or win in the last possession and weve won 1 of those. We havent even got a single first down in the 3 OT games. It is what it is and that matters. 

Two reasons - things like QBR already account for turnovers. and INTS is a clear win for Martinez - 22 INTs in 882 attempts versus 21 INTs in 649 attempts. 2.5% INT rate versus 3.2%. Third reason actually, fumble data is hard to come by for some reason - but Allen was not known as sure handed either. From what I can tell he had 5 in one year, which is on par with Adrian (I think 7, 4, and 5). But again, for whatever reason none of the main sites for stats include fumbles.

And I don't include W-L record because it's impossible to compare the teams around them and the teams they play. Again, things like QBR try and include it and Adrian is the clear winner there. What was Matt Leinart's college record? Kellen Moore sure didn't stick around long in the NFL. Mark Sanchez was terrible. 

Again, Josh Allen was far and away the better prospect for the NFL. But he was not the better college QB. I think Adrian has an outside shot at some kind of NFL career, he's got a good enough arm and the decision making has improved. It's just really hard to tell how many of the mistakes are his and how many have to do with a terrible OL and at times terrible skill guys. Allen had an 1,800 yard rusher in the backfield with him his best year.

• Oh Yeah! 1
15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Since we're working with shortened, non-existent , and yet to be completed seasons, you are factually correct.

But if you consider the distance between Josh Allen and Adrian Martinez to be the lack of interceptions, you would be wrong. 

I dont

I also consider in fumbles

TD passes thrown

Wins and Losses

Game ending drives AKA clutch time plays

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Is it? If the line isn't blocking to such a degree that Nebraska is that much of an outlier, that's really on the line.

How can any running back do well when they're getting hit that quickly?

Yes, it shows the run blocking being completely average, not terrible. Our RB production isn't good though. Maybe points some of that problem towards the RB and not all on the O-Line. The s#!t pass protection though definitely gives some props to Adrian for producing at all.

37 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Two reasons - things like QBR already account for turnovers. and INTS is a clear win for Martinez - 22 INTs in 882 attempts versus 21 INTs in 649 attempts. 2.5% INT rate versus 3.2%. Third reason actually, fumble data is hard to come by for some reason - but Allen was not known as sure handed either. From what I can tell he had 5 in one year, which is on par with Adrian (I think 7, 4, and 5). But again, for whatever reason none of the main sites for stats include fumbles.

And I don't include W-L record because it's impossible to compare the teams around them and the teams they play. Again, things like QBR try and include it and Adrian is the clear winner there. What was Matt Leinart's college record? Kellen Moore sure didn't stick around long in the NFL. Mark Sanchez was terrible. 

Again, Josh Allen was far and away the better prospect for the NFL. But he was not the better college QB. I think Adrian has an outside shot at some kind of NFL career, he's got a good enough arm and the decision making has improved. It's just really hard to tell how many of the mistakes are his and how many have to do with a terrible OL and at times terrible skill guys. Allen had an 1,800 yard rusher in the backfield with him his best year.

Fact is, the NFL will forgive things about a 6' 5" quarterback that they won't with a 6' 1" quarterback. 

Maybe some scouts prefer QBs to show their chops against SEC level talent, but they also have no problem grabbing guys from Wyoming and North Dakota State over QBs from Alabama. 

It's pretty imperfect. Adrian Martinez lands somewhere in the middle of what his supporters and detractors claim. He absolutely has the chance to silence his detractors over the next seven games.