Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

12 minutes ago, desertshox said:

must have had some bad coaching.

Yes, our Oline coach was really awful. Early in my coaching career- with little power. Young guy- older guy coaching Oline.  That off season I learned how to coach the OLine and it was MUCH better the following season as I got more control and made that my position group. ;)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I don't know what page the hate started but man the Illinois game gameday page starting on page 51 is pretty brutal toward 2AM

Our fans have a bad tendency to see one game and extrapolate everything in that game out to be the reality of things for eternity. We're doing it in the positive this week after we played one good game against Northwestern, and we did it in the negative after Illinois.

Adrian didn't play great in that game. The way people get off and where it gets stupid is people deciding that he completely sucks, always has and always will, based off the one bad game, instead of treating it as what it is; one bad game.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Our fans have a bad tendency to see one game and extrapolate everything in that game out to be the reality of things for eternity. We're doing it in the positive this week after we played one good game against Northwestern, and we did it in the negative after Illinois.

Good observation. Interesting- some aren't giving the Oline or Yant much credit because it was "Northwestern" but that same tempering doesn't exist with them when talking about Martinez :D

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Martinez has had 5 good games.  The O line and Yant haven't.  

The new O-line and Yant have only had the one opportunity- not 35 or whatever the number is. 

They are 1 for 1 right now, in rather dominating fashion. AM played a very good game, I'm hoping he continues like he did against NW. 

1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

The new O-line and Yant have only had the one opportunity- not 35 or whatever the number is. 

They are 1 for 1 right now, in rather dominating fashion. AM played a very good game, I'm hoping he continues like he did against NW. 

He's played 5 good games.

And, he played some good games last year when he was healthy.

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He's played 5 good games.

I heard you the first time. 

THe new o-line and Yant are batting 1000

Destroyed a team we were supposed to beat by 10 by almost 50 points. That was without any pick 6s or easy scores or lots of turnovers. We only punted ONCE

Thank goodness the coaching staff figured out they didnt have the right mix in and were going to hold kids accountable. So far- so good. Tempering the no fear of failure junk. 

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, then you answered with.

It's very hard for you to give him credit....isn't it.

I said he played " a very good game"  What more do you want? 

Sorry I'm not going to say he's should be a Heisman candidate or NFL QB just yet like some, if that's what you want me to proclaim :dunno

Im excited to see the ceiling on some new young talent who blew it out on their first time on stage. 

• Fire 2
4 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I said he played " a very good game"  What more do you want? 

Sorry I'm not going to say he's should be a Heisman candidate or NFL QB just yet like some, if that's what you want me to proclaim :dunno

Never said anything about the Heisman or the NFL.

You started the conversation claiming everyone is praising 2AM while cautioning themselves with the O line and Yant after this game.  I said that's because Martinez has played 5 good games and not just one like the other two.  You came back with ....he played a good game.

No, he's played 5 good games and that's why everyone is so high on Martinez.

• Plus1 1

Can we just agree on one thing? 

Adrian Martinez regressed after his freshman year. In ways that can't all be blamed on the talent around him.

We saw it with our own eyes. Every college football observer, Heisman balloteer, and NFL handicapper saw it, too. 

Most importantly, Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez both fully acknowledged that Adrian lost some of his confidence, and that seemed to affect his decision-making. The haters weren't making this up. HC Scott Frost replaced a healthy Martinez with Luke McCaffrey last year.

The takeaway from 2019 and 2020 was never that Adrian was a total stud being let down by the rest of his team. He had work to do. 

And now he's doing it. With better talent around him. It's all good.

But as of the Illinois game, the criticism of AM wasn't unfounded. People are jumping back on the Adrian bandwagon cause the dude earned it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

Guy Chamberlin

Totally agree- and I've seen every game he's played in and cheer every good play he makes. Just because some of us have been critical of his poor play- shortcomings and decision making (many of which have been confirmed by the Coaching Staff or even him), it doesn't mean we don't think that he has talent- isn't  a great team mate- isn't a model citizen- isn't the best chance this team has to win etc etc 

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Can we just agree on one thing? 

Adrian Martinez regressed after his freshman year. In ways that can't all be blamed on the talent around him.

No, I guess we can't all agree on that.  Regressed?  The production wasn't as good so in that way, yes.  But not nearly as much as people wanted to claim. 

I posted this last week.  The numbers were worse his sophomore year.  But many were talking about how bad he was last year when he was actually significantly BETTER than his Freshman year.  But most people don't want to believe that.

And I don't know how you're going to quantify "ways that can't all be blamed on the talent around him."  Was it all that?  Probably not.  But it seems VERY likely that was most of it.  His two most productive years have been when he's had other weapons around him.  The past two years where we had almost nothing else the production suffered.  I think it's pretty obvious that was the main reason.

• Plus1 3
27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Never said anything about the Heisman or the NFL.

Others have- a good number of times- never said you did.  I said " I'm not going to say he's should be a Heisman candidate or NFL QB just yet like some" . To even mention a QB from a 3-3 team and the word Heisman even in speculation is way off. IMO same goes for the NFL at this point. If he can sting together 5 more games like the last 5, that may be a different story. Im certainly hoping that he does. Tired of not going to Bowl games. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No, I guess we can't all agree on that.  Regressed?  The production wasn't as good so in that way, yes.  But not nearly as much as people wanted to claim. 

I posted this last week.  The numbers were worse his sophomore year.  But many were talking about how bad he was last year when he was actually significantly BETTER than his Freshman year.  But most people don't want to believe that.

And I don't know how you're going to quantify "ways that can't all be blamed on the talent around him."  Was it all that?  Probably not.  But it seems VERY likely that was most of it.  His two most productive years have been when he's had other weapons around him.  The past two years where we had almost nothing else the production suffered.  I think it's pretty obvious that was the main reason.

I agree.  Talent around him and being injured.  Both of those are going to greatly inhibit what a QB can do.  Has he grown and matured from last year too?  Definitely.  But, the other two factors (talent around him and health) are a big part of that.