Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The question was, if we were 5-0…..

I was suggesting that even now, if Adrian beats a highly ranked Michigan team this Saturday, he will enter the conversation and start making some lists. 

But the Huskers will have to keep winning to keep it up. 

The other Heisman candidates are a bit underwhelming this year, too. 

16 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't know what to say anymore. On my side I have every college football expert, the player's coach, and the player himself talking about the regression from his Freshman year. It revolved mostly around decision-making and unforced errors. The kind of things you don't blame on other players. I don't think Adrian would blame them, either. Sophomore slumps are a thing. AM certainly isn't alone. 

I'm also struggling with your statistical analysis. The numbers from last year show an improvement in Adrian's completion percentage over his freshman season, but a drop in yards per attempt, touchdown to int ratio, and quarterback ranking. His longest completion was 38 yards. His rushing numbers were a bit better. But his own coach replaced him mid-season of his third year to give his team a spark. How can that not be a regression from his Heisman inspiring Freshman season? 

Objective or subjective, Martinez did not inspire the faith he did his Freshman season until about three weeks ago. 

If Martinez keeps it up, it's going to be a great story. He can make his doubters eat every word. But it's a bit revisionist to suggest Adrian's play wasn't part of the problem. 

Well said 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

The crazy thing is he hasn't even put up insane numbers yet, in any of those games (passing wise) - just really good ones.

He'll probably have at least one 325+ yard game this season with a few scores. He also won't be out of any of those games with 20 gameclock minutes left to play, and also might be down more thus forcing more passes and aggressive calls. I think there's a reasonable chance the averages come out at least close in the ballpark.

I think we can all agree

We've already played the 4 worst teams on our schedule- where the numbers would be expected to be higher than most teams right ?

We have to play the 4 best defenses on our schedule in the coming 6 games- where the numbers would be expected to be lower than the bottom 4 right ?

Or are we living in some alternate universe?

Im hoping his numbers come out like the post stated. Also Im expecting our defense to keep us in most of these games so the garbage time numbers thing hopefully doesnt come into play like in years past. 

Baseball has its OPS and WAR rankings, basketball now tracks the player's Plus/Minus. They're pretty good at taking the larger picture into account, but they don't always tell the whole story. All I meant to say hundreds of posts ago is that Adrian's great play recently doesn't mean his doubters have been wrong all along, it can also mean that Adrian, like the coaches and the rest of the players, appear to have stepped up their game. It's something we see with our eyes first, the stat sheet second.

We also have six more games in the regular season. Let's see where the story goes. 

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I think we can all agree

We've already played the 4 worst teams on our schedule- where the numbers would be expected to be higher than most teams right ?

We have to play the 4 best defenses on our schedule in the coming 6 games- where the numbers would be expected to be lower than the bottom 4 right ?

Or are we living in some alternate universe?

Im hoping his numbers come out like the post stated. Also Im expecting our defense to keep us in most of these games so the garbage time numbers thing hopefully doesnt come into play like in years past. 

But….don’t you think that can be said about almost every P5 team?  They all play some patsies in non-con. 

Yes, his numbers are going to go down when we play better defenses. But, they look dang good so far. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But….don’t you think that can be said about almost every P5 team?  They all play some patsies in non-con. 

Yes, our numbers are going to go down when we play better defenses. But, they look dang good so far. 

Of course- the schedule is the schedule

I was just pointing it out

I read somewhere YESTERDAY that NU statistically  has the  #1 most difficult schedule from now until the end of the regular season. Three top 10 teams and no patsies. One would think that tougher teams and no patsies would mean lower numbers. 

Yes they have looked very good last 5

55 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Of course- the schedule is the schedule

I was just pointing it out

I read somewhere YESTERDAY that NU statistically  has the  #1 most difficult schedule from now until the end of the regular season. Three top 10 teams and no patsies. One would think that tougher teams and no patsies would mean lower numbers. 

Yes they have looked very good last 5

Yes.

I looked and couldn't find it.  PFF should show who has had the hardest schedules so far.  We have played the #6 and #11 team and 4 not good teams.  I wonder how we would rank.

PS....and this shows a pet peeve of mine.  If you have a ranking, wouldn't you show a picture of the team at the top of the ranking instead of #2?

• Plus1 1

Will be interesting to see how AMs season hashes out. 

If he absolutely crushes it- plays like he has the last 5 games- he is a lower draft pick and gets his shot at the NFL as a backup QB- which is awesome gig. 

If he does average- levels off or has any type of injury, he is a very low pick or most likely FA pick, with little guarantee of making a roster spot. 

Wandale Robinson just inked a 100K NIL deal at Kentucky. One would think AM could garner at least that if some reasonably powerful people think they want him around for another year. In any event- I doubt he sits out that last year. Where else can he go out and make 100K in salary in the private sector one year out and close out a Masters Degree to boot?

I think Martinez is our number 1 recruit for next year. The way the schedule sets up and our personnel, the defense will likely take a step back, but an experienced offense should have a chance to run... We could make a serious run if we aren't breaking in a new QB.

I also think there is enough space between 2AM and the other qbs that a transfer is unlikely, so it shouldn't  hurt depth. Then in 2023 we have 4 scholarship QBs to tryout for the starting gig.

• Oh Yeah! 1